Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

ecgordon
ecgordon

April 26th, 2017, 8:49 am #1

The Handmaid's Tale, produced by MGM Television, debuts on Hulu today. Only the first three out of ten episodes are available now. Not sure about how they intend to schedule the rest. IMDb shows Ep4 will be on next Wed, May 3, but they aren't always reliable when it comes to advance dates. I'm also not sure if I'll watch the first three now or wait. I do need to catch up on some other shows, and I'm still in the midst of my Twin Peaks re-watch.

UPDATE: Well, the first episode was okay, not great. They packed at least half the novel's plot into it, so I have no idea where they will take the story from here. According to info on Hulu itself, the first 3 eps are available now, and I will try to watch them by next Wednesday, when ep4 will drop. The remaining six will apparently be available each subsequent Wed, and if that is correct, the finale will be available June 14.
Last edited by ecgordon on April 27th, 2017, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 4th, 2017, 9:23 am #2

I've watched the first three episodes, the fourth was available yesterday, but I had other shows to catch up on. It has been picked up for another season, but I won't know for a while whether I think that is good news. It has some good points along with a few weak elements.

ecgordon
ecgordon

June 8th, 2017, 1:30 pm #3

One more episode to go for the first season. I suspect it will end very similar to the book, but instead of the vagueness of what happened to Offred after that, Season 2 will likely focus on the resistance movement working to overthrow the Gilead regime.

ecgordon
ecgordon

July 8th, 2017, 6:33 pm #4

Here's my short, not so positive review.

ecgordon
ecgordon

April 27th, 2018, 10:08 am #5

I should have updated this some time ago, at least when it was announced that the second season would premiere on April 25. Only the first two are available now, others will drop each Wednesday thereafter. There will be thirteen this year, the finale coming on July 11. Based on just the first two, I'd say it will be much darker this year, more focus on both how the US fell and Gilead came to be, as well as the harsh conditions in "the colonies" away from the Commanders, Wives, and Handmaids.

If you still don't have Hulu, the first season came out on DVD and Blu-Ray last month, and surprisingly is also available to purchase digitally per episode or full season on Amazon Video.

ecgordon
ecgordon

July 31st, 2018, 10:09 pm #6

It took me a while to finish the second season, mainly because it was even more depressing than the first, and I've been getting enough of that in real life. Just watched the finale, and I doubt I'll continue with the show next year. I still think it should have been a self-contained limited series, maybe 16 or 20 episodes, but it's been 23 so far and I was very disappointed where it left off this time. Not sure if I'll add comments to my original review, but I have more interesting things to think about now.