2018 Hugo Awards

ecgordon
ecgordon

August 20th, 2018, 9:52 am #1

N. K. Jemisin made history last night. She is the only author to win a Hugo for Best Novel in three successive years. I kinda doubt that will ever happen again, at least not in my lifetime. Take this link to the Awards Page for the other winners + all the other finalists, with everything available linked to amazon. Or, look below for just the other winners.

Novella: All Systems Red - Martha Wells
Novelette: The Secret Life of Bots - Suzanne Palmer
Short Story: Welcome To Your Authentic Indian Experience™ - Rebecca Roanhorse
Related Work: No Time To Spare: Thinking About What Matters - Ursula K. LeGuin
Graphic Story: Monstrous, Vol. 2 - Marjorie Liu, Sana Takeda
Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: Wonder Woman
Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: The Good Place, "The Trolley Problem"
Best Series: The World of the Five Gods - Lois McMaster Bujold

Those are the main categories, and while there are many others I don't have them on the site so as to balance the table with the average number of Nebula awards. As it is, with breaking Dramatic Presentation into two awards, then later additions of Graphic Story & Best Series, there are already more on the Hugo side than the Nebula. Other awards include for editing, artists, fan writers, fan artists, fanzines, etc. There is also the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, not officially a Hugo, but presented at WorldCons. This year's recipient was Rebecca Roanhorse, who also won for short story, the same one that previously won a Nebula, and I suspect she'll be on a lot of nominating ballots next year for her novel Trail of Lightning. Other Campbell finalists were Katherine Arden, Sarah Kuhn, Jeannette Ng, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, and Rivers Solomon.

New this year, and also not officially a Hugo at this time, but that might change, is the World Science Fiction Society Young Adult Book Award. I don't know if it will happen next year or the year after, but a resolution passed this year for a name change to the Lodestar Award. The inaugural winner was Akata Warrior by Nnedi Okorafor, and the other finalists were:
In Other Lands - Sarah Rees Brennan
A Skinful of Shadows - Frances Hardinge
Summer in Orcus - T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon)
The Art of Starving - Sam J. Miller
The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage - Philip Pullman