12 Monkeys on Syfy

ecgordon
ecgordon

January 16th, 2015, 9:50 am #1

A television version of Terry Gilliam's 1995 film, which in turn was based on the short French film La Jetée from 1962, begins tonight on Syfy at 8pm (Central Time). I haven't decided if I will watch it then or wait for the repeat at 10, since I normally watch Grimm at that time. Then again, I know I can watch Grimm on Hulu Plus tomorrow, but I'm not sure about 12 Monkeys' online availability.

I have recently rewatched the two source films and am working on a review. Not sure if I will have it done before this evening.

ecgordon
ecgordon

January 16th, 2015, 11:03 pm #2

The theory of time travel and cause and effect is different here than it was in the movie, which is the only way the story could be extended to series length. It was an interesting start, and I liked it much more than I expected.

ecgordon
ecgordon

January 24th, 2015, 2:10 pm #3

For some reason Syfy has put the next episode On Demand for a limited time both last week and today. Episode 3 is available today only, and I watched it this morning just as I watched Episode 2 last Saturday. Not sure if that means they like the show enough that they aren't too worried about live ratings.

I'm not saying this is a great show, but it is much better than I expected. I even rewatched the pilot on Hulu last night, then caught the repeat of Episode 2 at 10, even though I had already seen it. Last week it seemed to be very short On Demand, so I was thinking they may have cut some of the ep, but I guess I was wrong about that. Episode 3 was still good, although not as good as the first two, and there were multiple mistakes by several characters in the Haiti scenes. Doctors should know better than to remove their surgical masks while in an infected area. Maybe they tried it the right way but found their dialogue was not audible, but they could have worked around that with some re-recording.

Of course it's never a bad thing to have Amanda Schull's beautiful face visible as much as possible.

ecgordon
ecgordon

February 15th, 2015, 11:41 am #4

Syfy is having a marathon of the first five episodes tomorrow, beginning at 2pm Eastern. If you don't get Syfy, or if you do and don't have a DVR, you can also watch at hulu.com, however it is not available on HuluPlus. You've already missed the chance to watch the pilot on hulu, and the fifth episode won't be available until next week.

My opinion of the show is mixed now. It's still better than Helix since they haven't wasted time on soap-opera elements, and it has diverged quite a bit from the movie, but if they continue in the same pattern it is likely the show will just be going in circles and any progress in thwarting the virus will be a long way away. I'll continue with it for this first season at least, but the way the ratings have been it might be the only one we'll get. At least I can watch it live for the next two weeks since Grimm will not be on.

ecgordon
ecgordon

February 21st, 2015, 12:46 pm #5

I only thought I was going to watch it live last night, but I lay down for a nap around 6:30 and set the alarm for 7:55 just in case, but I forgot to flip the switch and didn't wake up until 8:30. Watched the 10:00 repeat. I'm still enjoying it, but it seems they're more concerned with time travel anomalies than they are in solving the virus issue.

ecgordon
ecgordon

March 17th, 2017, 1:21 pm #6

Not sure why I never continued talking about this show, but I do like it a lot. I guess it doesn't matter since no one commented, maybe no one else is interested. The plot has been expanded way beyond anything in the movie of course. The writing has been pretty good, but the cast is terrific, with Emily Hampshire as Jennifer Goines being my favorite. That's a gender switch, since in the movie, Brad Pitt played Jeffrey Goines.

During Alex's recent visit I convinced him to give it a shot, and we watched about eight episodes of Season 1 on Hulu. Not sure if he continued with it when he went home. Hopefully Season 2 will be added soon so I can rewatch before S3 premieres. I'm sure they'll repeat it before then, but it might not be convenient for me to watch it all when broadcast.

Just yesterday they finally announced that S3 will start on May 19. Just ten episodes this year, with a unique bit of marathon programming planned. Four episodes that first night, three each the following two nights, with hopefully several repeats in the days and weeks following. A final season has been approved, but no word yet on when to expect it or how many episodes there will be.

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 21st, 2017, 9:54 am #7

The first four episodes of Season 3 aired with limited commercials in a three hour time period Friday night. Those were very intense and exciting, introducing even more variables. I didn't like the fifth ep as much, since it veered toward the comedic, quite a contrast to what came before, and the two that followed it. As I've said several times, the plot has expanded considerably from the movie, and even though I still enjoy it, I'm getting more confused by the episode. The convolutions of story remind me of two Heinlein time travel tales, "By His Bootstraps" and "All You Zombies," both of which revolved around the age old question of which came first, chicken or egg.

ecgordon
ecgordon

May 22nd, 2018, 9:55 pm #8

The fourth and final season is approaching, June 15, so I've been rewatching on Hulu. Finished Season 1 last night, and finally got around to a review - 12 Monkeys. I tried to limit my comments to the first season, but dropped a few hints on what's to come, and I will add to that review shortly.

Review has been updated with a few comments about Season 2.

Another update for Season 3, with minor edits in the previous sections as well.

Season 4 starts this Friday, three episodes back to back beginning at 8pm Eastern.

ecgordon
ecgordon

July 8th, 2018, 6:03 pm #9

The Army of the 12 Monkeys has been defeated. The series concluded this past Friday, and I've added comments on Season 4. Minor edits in the other sections too, so scroll up on that page if you want to see my full review.