Week 2 discussion thread

Week 2 discussion thread

spamchang
Starter

06 Sep 2011, 22:50 #1

I'm starting this thread early--I can't decide whether to play WR Marvin McNutt (IA) against Iowa State (this early in the year, a rivalry game?) or WR DJ Woods (Cincy) against Tennessee. Tennessee stomped Montana 46-16, but the Cincy offense looks decent this year.

I'm benching Lance Dunbar (vs. Houston), I think. RB Vick Ballard against Auburn's run defense (Utah State did it, why can't MS State?) looks tasty, but who knows--Auburn could grow a spine in one week. Or buy one. Robert Turbin (UT St) against Weber State looks like a gimme. I could play Spencer Ware (LSU) against Northwestern State as well...that looks promising. Ballard might be the risky play there. Perhaps I should stick to beating up creampuffs.

Mediocre scoring ceilings across the board for my team this week.

Astro
MVP

07 Sep 2011, 00:51 #2

spamchang @ Sep 6 2011, 05:50 PM wrote: I'm starting this thread early--I can't decide whether to play WR Marvin McNutt (IA) against Iowa State (this early in the year, a rivalry game?) or WR DJ Woods (Cincy) against Tennessee. Tennessee stomped Montana 46-16, but the Cincy offense looks decent this year.

I'm benching Lance Dunbar (vs. Houston), I think. RB Vick Ballard against Auburn's run defense (Utah State did it, why can't MS State?) looks tasty, but who knows--Auburn could grow a spine in one week. Or buy one. Robert Turbin (UT St) against Weber State looks like a gimme. I could play Spencer Ware (LSU) against Northwestern State as well...that looks promising. Ballard might be the risky play there. Perhaps I should stick to beating up creampuffs.

Mediocre scoring ceilings across the board for my team this week.
What do you want for Dunbar?

07 Sep 2011, 03:24 #3

Auburn could grow a spine in one week. Or buy one.
Haha.

spamchang
Starter

07 Sep 2011, 04:41 #4

Astro @ Sep 6 2011, 07:51 PM wrote: What do you want for Dunbar?
Huh. I'm that shortsighted, eh? Let's trade first-round picks... ;)

TexasTech
All Star

07 Sep 2011, 17:28 #5

The Nebraska/Fresno St matchup intrigues me. Both Martinez and Burkhead are tempting. However, OkSt vs. Arizona should be a shootout, so Weeden is hard not to play. And I like Beall vs. UNT. I'm not confident enough in M. Brown yet to start him, but if he can produce vs. BYU, that may change. I had my eye on playing Jermaine Kearse this week against Hawaii, but the effer got himself hurt. They say he'll play, but I'm wary. Childs @UNM seems like a solid play because UNM is turble and they will be looking ahead to their super bowl next week.

In response to being recruited as a DB by UT, Michael Crabtree said, "I don't care that you're Texas. I score touchdowns. That's what I do."

41 touchdowns later, it appears he was right.

DStahzz99
MVP

07 Sep 2011, 19:20 #6

I know Dominique Davis is a stud fantasy QB but is he gonna rack up points vs the VaTach defense (who I think is much better than the USCe defense)? Looks like yet another Navy QB can run the ball pretty damn good so I nabbed him off waivers and they play another mediocre team so should I gamble that he might run for 150+ yards and 3 TD's or gamble that Davis will still get his points vs VaTech?

VTHokie
Hall of Famer
VTHokie
Hall of Famer

07 Sep 2011, 21:46 #7

What's funny is that Davis was flat out AWFUL at Boston College when he played there (he played so badly in the 2008 ACCCG, he almost single handedly lost the game for BC... but racked up some passing yards towards thee end to not look SO bad). At ECU, he has been great... and statistically, he still does a pretty good job of getting points... even if he isn't exactly playing well. I wonder if the speed in the ACC is just a little too much for him, but CUSA is more down to his level.

Hokies Army of Champions!™

H ard worker
O utstanding
K nowledgable
I ntense
E nergetic

TexasTech
All Star

07 Sep 2011, 22:06 #8

VTHokie @ Sep 7 2011, 04:46 PM wrote: What's funny is that Davis was flat out AWFUL at Boston College when he played there (he played so badly in the 2008 ACCCG, he almost single handedly lost the game for BC... but racked up some passing yards towards thee end to not look SO bad). At ECU, he has been great... and statistically, he still does a pretty good job of getting points... even if he isn't exactly playing well. I wonder if the speed in the ACC is just a little too much for him, but CUSA is more down to his level.
I'd say ECU OC Lincoln Riley is definitely a factor in Dominique Davis' production. For one, the system puts guys in position to become awfully prolific and succeed, and Riley was Leach's understudy, behind probably only Holgorsen in terms of knowledge of Leach's O (the cap'n excluded). Lincoln was a QB at Tech before becoming a GA and then moving up the ranks from there. He's seen the Air Raid from the player and coaching perspective, which makes him a pretty damn good teacher in terms of developing QBs. Kingsbury at UH has had a hand in Keenum's development as well. Same for Holgorsen and Weeden, Dykes and Foles, etc. What I'm getting at is that the Leach tree bears fruit in quality QB production.

And I, too, remember Davis' stint at BC. It was pretty bad, but I'd say he more looked lost than anything. You could see the potential even then. And I don't know that the speed in the ACC is any better than C-USA. Lots of speedsters form the south in that conference. I would, however, say that the average quality of defense in the ACC is much, much better, so that's probably a factor as well. Anyway, I'm happy for Davis and Riley. Riley is climbing the ladder, and in the process he's helping a guy like Davis (who probably would have washed out at BC) shine and become the QB he should be.

In response to being recruited as a DB by UT, Michael Crabtree said, "I don't care that you're Texas. I score touchdowns. That's what I do."

41 touchdowns later, it appears he was right.

spamchang
Starter

08 Sep 2011, 05:51 #9

I'd go with Martinez for the ground points, personally. Arizona might have a defense--Fresno State I'm less sure of.

I'd go with the Navy QB over Dom. Davis for the same reason--ground points, and the VT defense might be stout. The only thing is, isn't South Carolina supposed to have an Ess-Ee-Cee defense? Didn't look like it last week. If VT's ACC defense isn't up to par, then maybe Davis explodes for points galore.

The last time I saw the VT defense in person, they did not impress. If you think the ECU offensive line is good, you would go with Davis.

VTHokie
Hall of Famer
VTHokie
Hall of Famer

08 Sep 2011, 14:18 #10

spamchang @ Sep 8 2011, 12:51 AM wrote: I'd go with Martinez for the ground points, personally. Arizona might have a defense--Fresno State I'm less sure of.

I'd go with the Navy QB over Dom. Davis for the same reason--ground points, and the VT defense might be stout. The only thing is, isn't South Carolina supposed to have an Ess-Ee-Cee defense? Didn't look like it last week. If VT's ACC defense isn't up to par, then maybe Davis explodes for points galore.

The last time I saw the VT defense in person, they did not impress. If you think the ECU offensive line is good, you would go with Davis.
Yeah.. I couldn't imagine that the Orange Bowl would impress anyone on VT's defense. That said, I'd say that last year's defense was easily VT's worst since 2003. VT has looked better in practice this year and the Appy State game was solid (the 13 points came late against VT's 3rd and 4th string). VT will certainly get a test this weekend. I'm thinking ECU puts up about 21 or so... but overall, I think the Pirates will be held in check.

Hokies Army of Champions!™

H ard worker
O utstanding
K nowledgable
I ntense
E nergetic

spamchang
Starter

08 Sep 2011, 19:05 #11

Criner is out for tonight's game, I hear. Also, Okie State's had their fourth-highest tackler from last year suspended for the season. I wonder if this means a Zona ground game...a good time of possession would limit the damage Blackmon can do, I think. Buckner will have to step up, and I don't think I regret dropping him.

I'm going to rescind my Arizona having a defense comment. NAU was only down 14-10 near the half last week, so I could easily see Okie St. piling on the points.

And now the CBS site's projections say that Keenan Allen (@ Colorado) will be outscored by DJ Woods (@ Tenn). Cal suspended their WR3 or something for at least one game, so I would think Allen's upside got a boost, but I can trust Collaros to give Woods a few TDs, right?

Dunbar is projected to go for 21 pts. Ware and Turbin are projected to go for 28 and 24 pts, respectively. Apparently the CBS site agrees with my decision to sit Dunbar, but I still don't know.

ahnil8er
Walk-On
ahnil8er
Walk-On

08 Sep 2011, 20:25 #12

Hey all... this is Anil (The Fear Boners)

First time posting on this site.

Whens the deadline for add/drops for week 2?

Astro
MVP

08 Sep 2011, 21:40 #13

ahnil8er @ Sep 8 2011, 03:25 PM wrote: Hey all... this is Anil (The Fear Boners)

First time posting on this site.

Whens the deadline for add/drops for week 2?
I guess we can make the cut off date at the start of Saturday's games

If you make a add/drop then I'll put it through as quickly as possible so it will be reflected in this week's lineups

spamchang
Starter

08 Sep 2011, 22:42 #14

There's one game going on tonight, Arizona/Oklahoma State, so if you have players on those teams, you'd better post your roster change soon.

Astro
MVP

08 Sep 2011, 23:01 #15

spamchang @ Sep 8 2011, 05:42 PM wrote: There's one game going on tonight, Arizona/Oklahoma State, so if you have players on those teams, you'd better post your roster change soon.
I'm aware

But since he wasn't even on the board, and it wasn't even decided to keep waivers on the board until after he joined and had drafted his team, I'm willing to give him a pass this week and can add/drop players past the Zona/Okie St game (and I'm the one who actually plays him this week)

I would just ask if he had anyone playing tonight that he bench them if he plans on dropping them.. but he doesn't have anyone that plays tonight anyway

Astro
MVP

09 Sep 2011, 01:59 #16

Joseph Randle!

Looks like I have my Cowboy this year.. I felt good about getting Randle, since I had Kendall Hunter last year and Randle would usually annoy me by stealing carries, so late.

With Randle, Keenum, Graham, Edwards, Moore, and company, I feel really good about my team

spamchang
Starter

09 Sep 2011, 06:51 #17

Yeah. That's not even fair. Who will dare to upgrade you at WR now? :P

Check this out though--Weeden sets school records in completions attempted and made, goes for a boatload of yards (397), and only had two scores. Randle pantsed him in the fantasy points contest. Maybe we should set scoring to 20 passing yards/point in years to come. I feel like Weeden had a huge night but wasn't duly rewarded for it. /shrug

09 Sep 2011, 15:32 #18

Is it not 20 passing yards/point? That's how we've done it for years.

spamchang
Starter

09 Sep 2011, 17:38 #19

If it is, oops. I assumed 25 yds/pt, a la standard NFL leagues. Shows you how much I know.

09 Sep 2011, 18:53 #20

(The Fear Boners)
What does this exactly mean?

Is a "fear boner" a boner that you get when you are scared?

Maybe it's boner in the sense of "one who bones", so it means fear gets boned by you?

Does it mean other people fear your boners?

Are they a bunch of boners from a place called Fear?