Smokers: Brent?

Smokers: Brent?

March 2nd, 2012, 4:00 am #1

Brent, is there a primer on Smokers out there? We've got a BBQ shop in Ottawa, but I was a little taken aback by some of the prices...entry level unit starts at about $400 and then the sky's the limit.

Going to try some pork butt on the grill w/ rotisserie. at 5 pounds I think I can get it cooked to 190 without it falling apart and/or using up all my propane. But 95% of what I've read says to use a smoker. The other 5% use a slow cooker (which I have done and its turned out fine, just looking to try something new by using a propane grill + indirect heat).

GD

March 2nd, 2012, 3:37 pm #2

I can definitely give you some ideas. Do you use Skype at all?

March 4th, 2012, 2:21 pm #3

I've got a 5 pound shoulder coming to room temp right now. Its 9:17 am. I plan to put it on the rotissere and see if my indirect burner can maintain about 225F in this cold weather. The idea being to get the meat up to about 190F and hold there for a few hours. (BTW, shoulder here is a pretty cheap - about $1.85 a pound)

I am a little worried the shoulder might fall apart on the spit...I've only ever done these in slow cookers, and they've turned out great; but, I can't use a dry rub on them and get that nice 'bark' crust. If I see it falling apart I'll just move it to the oven. Have heard you can get a butchers mesh to hold it together, but I've found any kind of twine pulls off huge chunks of the bark.

I might give something like this a go:
http://z12projects.blogspot.com/2010/07 ... e-egg.html

GD

March 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm #4

Put the meat on and after 3 hours of a BBQ temp of 225, the meat was only 165. Bumped up the grill to 300 for 30 mins, and the meat went up to 185. Going to hold it there for a couple hours and then let it rest for hour. I'm starving, and the smell is amazing. This is the rub I went with:

1/3c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4c sweet paprika
1/4c of course salt (I use kosher)
3 tablespoons of black pepper
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
4 teaspoons of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of celery seeds
1 teaspoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Incidentally, there is a BBQ place here in Ottawa that was just on "You gotta eat here". I'n goiung to try it soon and will let you know in case you guys are ever in town.

Here's their menu:

http://dsbbq.ca/menus.html

GD

March 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm #5

3 hours at 185 and hour to rest and the shoulder fell apart the second I took it off the spit. Best pork I've ever made.. still not as nice as Brent's, but I'm closing in you buddy!

GD

March 7th, 2012, 6:26 pm #6

Glad to hear it went well! I'm getting all excited about making some BBQ this summer. Moving to Edm and have a huge deck to work with. Deck reno plans for a good space and the discovery that the TnT foods which is close by has all the requisite BBQ cuts onhand has got the juices pumping. Some good summer model meetings are in our future!

March 7th, 2012, 10:06 pm #7

There's a massive TnT about 10 mins from my place in Ottawa.. never been inside it as the parking lot looks like everyone shops there is playing bumper cars!

What's special about it with respect to BBQ?

GD

March 8th, 2012, 2:22 pm #8

they carry all the BBQ cuts right there on the shelf (well, cooler). Pork shoulders/butts and beef brisket. Those cuts are typically quite challenging to find at a regular grocery store. I even have trouble special ordering them, so to find them just sitting there on the shelf is a real score.

March 8th, 2012, 4:25 pm #9

Thanks Brent. Yes, I have had a challenge finding pork butt too. I spoke with our costco butcher, asked how come they don't have any, and he said it's what they use for all their ground pork. But that if I came in at 10:00 am, I could ask him for a picnic (guess its the same thing) and he'd not put it in the grinder.

I have yet to see brisket, but i have not looked very hard for it. I want to try spare ribs too. So I think a trip to TnT (and a re-fill of the propane tank!) is in order.

GD

March 8th, 2012, 7:13 pm #10

they carry all the BBQ cuts right there on the shelf (well, cooler). Pork shoulders/butts and beef brisket. Those cuts are typically quite challenging to find at a regular grocery store. I even have trouble special ordering them, so to find them just sitting there on the shelf is a real score.
In fact it is one of my favourite dishes when I go to a Chinese restaurant. There is a dish which is called a beef brisket hot pot. It contains beef brisket, turnip and Chinese lettuce. Pretty popular.

The pork shoulder is also popular for some other dishes as well.

So TnT has it as a standard item.

With all of this talk of smokers I should start looking for one.