Nice H-21 on HS Vic

Nice H-21 on HS Vic

March 27th, 2012, 2:14 pm #1

Vic, that's a very nice H-21. I am curious, was that the kit decals or Belcher's? I was thinking of doing that scheme one of these days on the 1/48 kit but after seeing the Japanese one, I am not sure now.

Also, are the stripes white or light grey?

March 27th, 2012, 9:31 pm #2

I hit the usual HS forum pages and it didn't jump out at me...

GD

March 27th, 2012, 9:40 pm #3

It was on the first page but may have been pushed to page two now.

March 27th, 2012, 9:56 pm #4

I hit the usual HS forum pages and it didn't jump out at me...

GD
www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1332777116/

March 27th, 2012, 9:58 pm #5

Sweet build!!

March 28th, 2012, 1:25 am #6

Vic, that's a very nice H-21. I am curious, was that the kit decals or Belcher's? I was thinking of doing that scheme one of these days on the 1/48 kit but after seeing the Japanese one, I am not sure now.

Also, are the stripes white or light grey?
Decals used were primarily Mikes. However, the white numbers, port Red Ensign and stencils are from the kit sheet and the upper fuselage roundel was from Leading Edge and they worked better then the decals made for Mike by Microscale. I have been having issues with 'recent' Microscale decals. When they are layered with a white base, they really do not want to settle into panel lines or raised details - though they are quite opaque. I email Mike about this same issue with the T-33 sheet.

The white dividing line is 'weathered white'. They are a little too grayish in areas though

March 28th, 2012, 1:35 am #7

Sweet build!!
s

March 28th, 2012, 3:27 am #8

Great stuff as per Vic. The glazing, so critical on this model, is perfectly executed. Nice to see some light weathering on it too.

I wonder if Italeri would scale it up? Probably, since I already have the Aurora and FM kits!

Coincidental side bar: I spent a portion of my day trying to sort out medical support for Operation NEVUS...the maintenance of the high arctic data command system. Kind of similar to what these choppers would be doing on the old DEW line!

GD

March 28th, 2012, 1:00 pm #9

Special Hobby makes a much better 1/48 H-21 then either Aurora or FM!

Thanks for the comments but that glazing is not perfect. In addition to issues with the decals, I used Model Master recommended gloss colours for the red(Guards) and blue (Blue Angles0. While I have very good results with their matts, not so much with these gloss colours. They did do the orange skin thing, plus they took about three days to fully cure!

I plan on doing the H-34 in a similar scheme and three things. Tamiya 'white' primer will be the base. Mask the white dividing bar, then use matt red and blue for the remainder. Plus I will be using Leading Edge decals.

March 29th, 2012, 7:45 pm #10

Decals used were primarily Mikes. However, the white numbers, port Red Ensign and stencils are from the kit sheet and the upper fuselage roundel was from Leading Edge and they worked better then the decals made for Mike by Microscale. I have been having issues with 'recent' Microscale decals. When they are layered with a white base, they really do not want to settle into panel lines or raised details - though they are quite opaque. I email Mike about this same issue with the T-33 sheet.

The white dividing line is 'weathered white'. They are a little too grayish in areas though
Thanks for the info Vic, I will have to remember that. I have Mike's sheet for my SH kit but after seeing the Swedish and Japanese markings I am torn. Maybe I have to buy a couple more but I really have to get a good deal. I have the FM kit too but that one looks like a pain.