Magyar Pfeil, gear doors, exterior paint

Magyar Pfeil, gear doors, exterior paint

March 1st, 2010, 4:07 pm #1

To get a different effect, the exterior surface was taped where the internal framing is on these doors.

Model Master black enamel was then sprayed on these tape lines.

With the tape removed, the internal framing is x rayed?

The initial spray of the rattle can Silver Leaf indicates the finished appearance. This was sprayed with the Alclad Matte Aluminum to give it a fine grain finish.
Last edited by ffirefighter13 on March 1st, 2010, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2010, 7:27 pm #2

For the landing gear I use a combination of Model Master RLM 02 (gear legs) and MM Faded Olive Drab for the door interior. This provides a little contrast and gives them a slightly different appearance and may not be totally wrong with different sub-contractors involved. Humbrol No 11 Silver was used for the polished oleo section s and a Raw Umber oil wash was used. I did apply some MiG Productions Dark Mud PO33 pigment to the tires sides, rubbing off any on the tire running surface. To provide a differnt texture look between the steel of the wheel and the rubber of the tire, graphite was brushed on the wheel to give it a metallic finish. Again, it looks better in the flesh.

March 1st, 2010, 9:00 pm #3

Nothing like a little flight of fantasy to try something new!

Vic, are you drybrushing? It looks like in the cockpit and inner gear doors that there is a subtle drybrish going on. Is it oils or testors? I know a lot of people slam drybrushing (especially in the armour world) but I am still a big fan of it done right.

I was surprised to see the bare metal. I had envsioned an Me-109 scheme with Hungarian markings. The Silver just makes the 335 look so 1950's, its great!

GD

March 1st, 2010, 10:16 pm #4

I use dry brushing or more often now a combination of DB along with some 'Spanish' painting. The 335 cockpit was a combination. Sometimes I will do the 'severe' DB to really pick out some details, and then I will paint them with a different shade to pick them out some more and to change to base colour somewhat. Still working on the right combination though...

March 2nd, 2010, 5:28 am #5

To get a different effect, the exterior surface was taped where the internal framing is on these doors.

Model Master black enamel was then sprayed on these tape lines.

With the tape removed, the internal framing is x rayed?

The initial spray of the rattle can Silver Leaf indicates the finished appearance. This was sprayed with the Alclad Matte Aluminum to give it a fine grain finish.
Interestig effect on the gear doors using the masking (n/t)