The Ghost That Isn't Holy Anymore

Olivia Gaines
Intermediate
Olivia Gaines
Intermediate

June 13th, 2009, 12:55 pm #1

Olivia sat at a table in the middle of The Three Broomsticks. Every few seconds her fingernails tapped against the hard wooden table, her brown eyes staring with dull boredom at the scratches in the wood.

Nerves were taking over. The Quidditch season was to officially start next week. A feeling of being under-prepared crashed over her like waves on a beach. She couldn't help herself. The rest of the team had taken these last few days off for rest. She couldn't bring herself to admit to any of them that she didn't feel prepared. Now all there was to do was wait. She'd spent the last few days apparating around, trying to find a good place to collect her thoughts. Yesterday it was The Leaky Cauldron. Today it was The Three Broomsticks.

Ball Dress
Not just a pretty face.

Adler Everheart
Intermediate
Adler Everheart
Intermediate

June 13th, 2009, 2:29 pm #2

Adler entered the pub, and made his way to his usual spot, giving a quick wave to Madam Rosmerta as he passed. He slid around tables and chairs and the usual bustle of The Three Broomsticks. Adler had come to feel at ease and give some thought to the upcoming season.
And then in some extraordinary bit of cooincidence, he saw a farmiliar face, that of which he hadnt seen since childhood. Adler arrived at her table, "Olivia Gaines?!"

Olivia Gaines
Intermediate
Olivia Gaines
Intermediate

June 13th, 2009, 2:44 pm #3

When first approached, Olivia stared blankly at the boy. How did he know her name? And yet he looked so familiar. Was this the same boy that had caught her attention at the Quidditch pitch?

Her expression was blank and her voice cold. "I'm sorry - do I know you?" Her eyes narrowed as she made an attempt to mentally digest him. He did look familiar. Or did he?

Ball Dress
Not just a pretty face.

Adler Everheart
Intermediate
Adler Everheart
Intermediate

June 15th, 2009, 2:08 pm #4

He put his hand on his chest. "Adler Everheart," he said. Adler pulled out a chair and sat down beside her. "Our mothers worked together on The Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee. You don't remember our play-dates?"

Light Potter
Experienced
Light Potter
Experienced

June 15th, 2009, 3:45 pm #5

(( Sorry ))

Olivia Gaines
Intermediate
Olivia Gaines
Intermediate

June 15th, 2009, 4:01 pm #6

Olivia stared at him for a moment. Adler? She gasped and covered her mouth as her mind filled with several memories, ideas, and worries at the same time. She remembered him. She remembered that their mothers had been the dearest of friends. The Everhearts had been there for the Gaines family in their most troubling times - when the Gaines' were poorest and Olivia's father was ill and unable to work. Adler had been one of very very few childhood friends for Olivia.

"But... what're you..." What was worse - he knew her on a level that no one else did. Olivia Gaines was not poor anymore, nor did she need anyone. She was indepedent. She didn't need anyone to lean on or to help her. She felt suddenly very vulnerable and her tone changed, "Yeah, I remember you." She said sort of stiffly, wanting to keep her distance. He sure has grown up.

((LIGHT - THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED. I'm going to pretend you didn't post.))

Ball Dress
Not just a pretty face.

Adler Everheart
Intermediate
Adler Everheart
Intermediate

June 16th, 2009, 11:56 am #7

"You've really grown up," he told her and a warm smile crossed his face. His kid friend had transformed into a woman and it was a bit surreal for Adler to see her this way. But he tried to keep transformations off his mind at a time like this.

"How have you been? Well, I hope."

Olivia Gaines
Intermediate
Olivia Gaines
Intermediate

June 16th, 2009, 2:34 pm #8

"Of course I've grown up," she said, keeping her nose held high, "It's been, what, twenty years?"

"Yes, I've been well," she said. Anything contrary was impossible, at least she made it seem that way. "Playing in the British League. Just the same as you. Wouldn't you call that well?" She was becoming increasingly defensive. She avoided his eye contact. Sure, he looked excellent and was making an effort to be charming. There was something of a sly wolf in him - boyish and yet rough at the same time. He'd no doubt become more attractive after having been a scrappy child. Still, this connection between them disturbed her.

Ball Dress
Not just a pretty face.

Adler Everheart
Intermediate
Adler Everheart
Intermediate

June 16th, 2009, 4:49 pm #9

Olivia's coarse tones were very off-putting to Adler and he suddenly felt alienated. But he realized that his candid and demonstrative attitude might have been upsetting. Things had apparently changed for her - she had forgotten about her past and Adler was a skeleton behind closed doors.

Adler made a bold move. He leaned in and excused himself for imposing. Then, in a soft and reassuring tone, he added, "Obviously things are different now... so - your secret's safe with me."

Olivia Gaines
Intermediate
Olivia Gaines
Intermediate

June 16th, 2009, 5:06 pm #10

Her mouth gaped for a moment. She wasn't sure whether to be relieved or offended. It was true that she worried that his proximity might reveal how her life used to be. But he said he would keep this secret. Still, she did not appreciate him holding this over her head.

She rolled her eyes, "It doesn't matter," she said faintly, though she did seem to relax a little bit. She wondered faintly whether or not she should ask him about his parents.

Ball Dress
Not just a pretty face.