VP-101 in New Guinea

VP-101 in New Guinea

Edward
Edward

June 27th, 2016, 6:01 pm #1

Gentlemen,

I am seeking any original documents (Squadron diary, personal diaries & memoirs, flight logs and photographs) that covers VP-101 when it was based at Port Moresby (& Samarai Island) New Guinea from July - December 1943.

During this period they under the command of Lt/Cdr. Porter F. Bedell. Their primary duties were search & rescue as well as supplying Australian troops near Wewak by making landings on the Sepik River (there are a series of photos at the AWM website depicting this).

Some (all?) of the official VP-101 documents for this period (from the National Archives and Naval Historical Center) are available through the fold3 website but these are pretty cursory. The only detailed records that I have seen are from WWII Australian unit diaries at the Australian War Memorial.

With the exception of the excellent VP Navy website I have not uncovered anything of substance on VP-101 in PNG. Neither have I found anything in the various books published on Black Cat units in the Pacific (Knott, Crocker, Hayes & the Osprey book).

Some Catalina units - like VP-34 - have a decent squadron history but most others are pretty superficial for the period of 1943.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edward