Untitled

Untitled

John Gobee
John Gobee

December 22nd, 2011, 3:52 pm #1

Where can I find a list of the crew of De Ruyter (Dutch cruiser) that sank in the Java Sea on Feb. 28 1941. I believe my uncle, whom I'm named after died when the ship went down. I would like information about the ship, crew, and its last battle.

December 23rd, 2011, 11:25 am #2

Hi John,

There is a book about the history of the Dutch light cruiser De Ruyter:

Legemaate, H.J., A.J.J. Mulder, and M.G.J. van Zeeland. Hr. Ms. Kruiser 'De Ruyter' 1933-1942. Purmurend, Netherlands: Asia Maior, 1999.

On pages 157-159 is a list of the crew at the time of its loss. One of the men lost is listed as:

Gobee, J.H., ID #20086, Stoker 2nd class, omgekomen

This book is out of print and thus hard to find. I had to borrow a copy from another person to get access. It has a wealth of information including design, construction, operational history, etc. There are lots of photos. It would be worth the effort and cost to obtain a copy.

Good luck!

Mark C. Jones

John Gobee
John Gobee

December 23rd, 2011, 1:12 pm #3

Thank you for finding the information. I will see if I can locate this book that you mentioned.
I live in the US, so it will be quite a challenge finding it, especially since it's out of print now.
Again, thanks very much.

Regards,
John

Kevin D
Kevin D

December 23rd, 2011, 11:56 pm #4

One copy available at ABEBooks n/t

John Gobee
John Gobee

December 24th, 2011, 2:56 am #5

Thank you for finding the information. I will see if I can locate this book that you mentioned.
I live in the US, so it will be quite a challenge finding it, especially since it's out of print now.
Again, thanks very much.

Regards,
John
Thank you kindly for finding this book. Eventhough it's somewhat pricey, I will probably will get this book as a belated Christmas present for myself. Now, if only my Dutch reading still works. I haven't read a Dutch book since 1959, when I emigrated from Holland. I still speak Dutch fairly fluently, but reading is a different matter. I will probably keep the Dutch/English
dictionary close at hand when reading. Many thanks.

Ian Mcleod
Ian Mcleod

December 29th, 2011, 8:27 am #6

Hello John,
I have a listing on excel which you are welcome too a copy!
Best regards Ian
NB
Happy Christmas and New Year to all!

John Gobee
John Gobee

December 29th, 2011, 5:45 pm #7

Hi Ian, I will take you up on your offer. How do we go about getting a coy?
TY, John

Ian Mcleod
Ian Mcleod

January 3rd, 2012, 7:12 pm #8

Hi John,
I suggest you send an email to Jan if he doesn`t mind and he has my email address and we can correspond accordingly.
Best regards Ian

Angela Robinson
Angela Robinson

September 19th, 2013, 5:46 am #9

Thank you kindly for finding this book. Eventhough it's somewhat pricey, I will probably will get this book as a belated Christmas present for myself. Now, if only my Dutch reading still works. I haven't read a Dutch book since 1959, when I emigrated from Holland. I still speak Dutch fairly fluently, but reading is a different matter. I will probably keep the Dutch/English
dictionary close at hand when reading. Many thanks.
Hi there
I am after a copy of the crew list for the DeRuyter when she was sunk.I noticed your email which states you have a copy.My great uncle was aboard this ship & survived the sinking to be taken prisioner in japan.I am searching for any record of him
Maxwell Kuhr

thank you Angela

Felix
Felix

September 19th, 2013, 11:28 pm #10

Again, thanks very much.

Regards,
John
The information you are looking for is also on the Gedenkrol Koninklijke Marine 1939-1962.

http://www.veteranen-online.nl/informat ... Marine.pdf

Its fairly complete

Felix