ML-KNIL PILOT Jan Dekeling

ML-KNIL PILOT Jan Dekeling

May 30th, 2015, 9:55 am #1

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on my Mum's Uncle Jan Dekeling who served as a fighter pilot in Brewster Buffalo's with 1-VLG-V in the ML-KNIL?
I'm particularly seeking information on his service post his escape from Java. From what I know he escaped to Australia as Java fell but I'm not sure what he did after that. eg Did he serve in one of the RAAF (NEI) Squadrons or was he a Trainer etc?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Rohan

June 11th, 2016, 10:52 am #2

Anyone?

June 11th, 2016, 1:27 pm #3

Hi Rohan,

Sorry I missed your earlier message. I have mentioned many of the operational flights of Jan Dekeling, a Brewster 339 fighter pilot, in my books The Loss of Java (NUS Press, Singapore, 2011) and Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies Army Air Corps in crisis and war times, February 1937-June 1942 (Batavian Lion International, Amsterdam-Berlin 2016). You can find short operational histories of the units he flew in these books too.

According to my data he was not evacuated to Australia but became a POW in Java.

Regards,
Peter

June 15th, 2016, 11:04 am #4

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it mate. I own a copy of the book "The Loss Of Java" and will also try to buy a copy of the other one. It makes sense now that he was imprisoned in Java. My Mum said his health was poor after WW2.

Cheers,

Rohan