HMS Li Wo

HMS Li Wo

June 3rd, 2016, 8:20 pm #1

I just read a book about the Li Wo written by A. V. Sellwood. The boo was good, but concentrated more on the personal experiences
of the crew rather than the historical aspect of her sinking. I'd like to know more about this incident. I'd especially like to know if
anyone knows what Japanese ship, or ships, she attacked off Sumatra. I've checked a few websites, but none of them had this infor-
mation. I'm beginning to wonder if the Li Wo actually sank a Japanese troop transport as has been claimed. This is my first post here
by the way.

Jacques
Jacques

July 1st, 2016, 10:13 am #2

The well known painting of HMS Li Wo in action against the Japanese invasion force, depicts the transport in question with 4 Japanese symbols painted on her side. Could this, which I read as Ha-Ko-Ka-Ze (read from right to left of course), possibly give a clue as to the identity of that ship? Needless to say there is no record of a Hakokaze Maru to be found anywhere.

The List of Ships sunk in February 1942,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ruary_1942 does show HMS Li Wo but apart from Inabasun Maru sank North of Sumatra by RAF bombers on the same day, no other Japanese vessels are listed on the 14th or soon afterwards.The IJN warships involved were the light cruiser Yura and the destroyers Fubuki and Asagiri.

Regards,

Jacques

July 6th, 2016, 11:12 pm #3

Thanks Jacques for responding to my posting! I guess we'll never really know. Its a shame that the proof of these brave men's exploit doesn't seem to exist. Without Japanese confirmation of this incident its just speculation.