German Panzers after WW2

German Panzers after WW2

March 6th, 2007, 9:08 pm #1

There were several nations after WW2 that had their forces equipped with former German tanks Let\s try to collect some more info.

On the Tanks! website I found these Norwegian KWIIIs:

"After the end of WW2, Norway used approximately 32 PzKpfw. III (5cm and 7.5cm) and StuG III Ausf. G under the designation KW-III. Later on they were replaced with American M24 Chaffee light tanks."

France had some units equipped with Panthers I think an of course Spain still had its Panzers, as did Turkey as well. The Czechoslovlaks used Hetzers and halftracks, the Swiss used the Hetzer as well. I understand from discussions on a Spanish Forum that it were Spanish panzers that would later be equipping the Syrian army!

What other countries used German armour after WW2?

nuyt
nuyt

March 6th, 2007, 9:22 pm #2

from the Tanks! website, that good old source of info!

Finland

"15 Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.Js were purchased from Germany in mid-1944. A further tank deliveries were halted when the Finland-German war (Lapland war) began. When PzIVs arrived in Finland, the Continuation War was about to end and were modified to meet the needs of Finland. These included changing the German MG34s to Soviet Degtyarevs and removing the additional side armor plating. None of them actually saw operational service against Soviets. They did become involved in the fighting against Germans in Lapland. After the war PzIVs remained in service and were one of the best tanks available until deliveries of the Charioteer and Comet from the UK."

Switzerland: the G13 Hetzer

"A German tank destroyer whose design was the direct result of General Heinz Guderian's March 1943 agitation for a light tank destroyer. A total of 2584 were built from April 1944 to May 1945. After WW2, the Swiss purchased 158 of these small tank destroyers and designated them as model G13. The Hetzers ("G13") went into three tank destroyer battalions each of four companies, plus an HQ company"

France
A link to French Panthers
http://www.chars-francais.net/archives/panther.htm

March 8th, 2007, 7:26 pm #3

There were several nations after WW2 that had their forces equipped with former German tanks Let\s try to collect some more info.

"After the end of WW2, Norway used approximately 32 PzKpfw. III (5cm and 7.5cm) and StuG III Ausf. G under the designation KW-III. Later on they were replaced with American M24 Chaffee light tanks."

France had some units equipped with Panthers I think an of course Spain still had its Panzers, as did Turkey as well. The Czechoslovlaks used Hetzers and halftracks, the Swiss used the Hetzer as well. I understand from discussions on a Spanish Forum that it were Spanish panzers that would later be equipping the Syrian army!

Syria used some PzKfw IV and StuG III on the Golan Heigths during 1967 against the Israelians

March 10th, 2007, 1:43 am #4

From tank battles of the mid-east wars vol.1
author: steven zaloga

syria received:

jagdpanzer 70: 6
hummel: 5
stug III ausf.g: 28
pzkpfw IV ausf.h: 25 (but the photo caption includes the pzkpfw III in total).

marcelo vinci

March 12th, 2007, 9:02 pm #5

Does Zaloga say where the tanks came from? I have read somewhere on a Spanish forum that these were sold by Spain to Syria!

March 13th, 2007, 9:57 am #6

According to some sources the Syrian vehicles of German origin came from France and (Former) Czechoslovakia.

The Edge
The Edge

March 13th, 2007, 3:29 pm #7

Certain number was also used in Yugoslavia:

http://www.mod.gov.yu/06fotogalerija/fo ... .-s.htm#03

March 13th, 2007, 9:08 pm #8

Bulgaria and Rumania used panthers for a short while after the war.

March 13th, 2007, 9:41 pm #9

Certain number was also used in Yugoslavia:

http://www.mod.gov.yu/06fotogalerija/fo ... .-s.htm#03
ex-Czechoslovak tanks?

jean-yves
jean-yves

March 13th, 2007, 10:09 pm #10

From tank battles of the mid-east wars vol.1
author: steven zaloga

syria received:

jagdpanzer 70: 6
hummel: 5
stug III ausf.g: 28
pzkpfw IV ausf.h: 25 (but the photo caption includes the pzkpfw III in total).

marcelo vinci
These links lead to pictures from tank museums in Israel; among many rarities, you can see Pz IV and Sturmgezschütz III obviously captured from Syrians

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Yad_la-Shiryon_Museum

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... sef_Museum

But to be honest, the whole of the pictures are worth seing: there is even the Israeli-made adaptation of the BTR 152; I had been looking for years for good photographic evidence of this APC.