FN Tricars

7:36 PM - Dec 26, 2004 #1

KNIL, the Army of the Dutch East Indies in 1939 tested a Belgian FN Tricar three-wheeler for use as staff or command car (see www.overvalwagen.com/staffcars.html).

Time to look a little bit deeper into this remarkable and versatile vehicle.

Introduced in 1939, the FN (Fabrique Nationale) Tricar T3 was well received by the Belgian Army (only 3 Tricars seem to have been exported: to South America and the Dutch East Indies).
331 units were ordered and partially delivered before May 1940. Basically the Tricar could carry a load of 550kg or five troopers including the driver. The vehicle was derived from the succesfull FN M12 motorcycle/sidecar combination. Various versions existed:
Utility:

Personnel:

Ammo carrier:

Repair (Atelier mobile de depannage moto/mecanicien d'escadron):

There were also machinegun carriers (Maxim) in service for instance with the Bicycle-Carbiniers (Carabiniers-cyclistes):

Truly a multipurpose and heavy duty design, the conversion possiblities of the Tricar were huge. There was even an armoured prototype.
FN themselves operated a firefighting Tricar for their own factory firebrigade:

A further 88 Tricars were ordered with FN in February 1940 (for delivery in July that year). These were to mount a heavy FN-Hotchkiss 13,2 mm AA machinegun. Unfortunately for the Belgian Army, these highly usable fighting vehicles would not be delivered in time:

Enjoy,
Nuyt

Sources:
Vanderveen's Observer's Army vehicles directory to 1940
Cavalerie: du cheval a moto/van paard tot motor (Tank Museum News)
Les motos militaires belges http://www.appeldephare.com/motos/mmb1.html
Last edited by nuyt on 12:07 PM - Dec 27, 2004, edited 1 time in total.

5:36 PM - Feb 14, 2005 #2

Patrice of Liege, Belgium provided this picture of Belgian troops surrendering with their Tricar in 1940.

Jacques Jost
Jacques Jost

9:31 PM - Feb 24, 2005 #3

KNIL, the Army of the Dutch East Indies in 1939 tested a Belgian FN Tricar three-wheeler for use as staff or command car (see www.overvalwagen.com/staffcars.html).

Introduced in 1939, the FN (Fabrique Nationale) Tricar T3 was well received by the Belgian Army (only 3 Tricars seem to have been exported: to South America and the Dutch East Indies).
331 units were ordered and partially delivered before May 1940. Basically the Tricar could carry a load of 550kg or five troopers including the driver. The vehicle was derived from the succesfull FN M12 motorcycle/sidecar combination. Various versions existed:
Utility:

Personnel:

Ammo carrier:

There were also machinegun carriers (Maxim) in service for instance with the Bicycle-Carbiniers (Carabiniers-cyclistes):

Truly a multipurpose and heavy duty design, the conversion possiblities of the Tricar were huge. There was even an armoured prototype.

A further 88 Tricars were ordered with FN in February 1940 (for delivery in July that year). These were to mount a heavy FN-Hotchkiss 13,2 mm AA machinegun. Unfortunately for the Belgian Army, these highly usable fighting vehicles would not be delivered in time:

Enjoy,
Nuyt

Sources:
Hello,

In issue 20 of the defunct Belgian periodical Véhicules Militaires International, there is a picture showing a 3 FN motorcycles of the KNIL : a FN 12aSM immatriculed D7318, a FN 12aSM with armor immatriculed D7319 and a FN Tricar immatriculed D7383. Unfortunately, I am not able to scan it. It was published as part of a multi-part article about FN motorcycle by C. Gillet.

Regards,

Jacques.

Nuyt
Nuyt

9:37 AM - Feb 25, 2005 #4

Hi Jacques, that's very interesting!

Would it be possible to send me a Xerox copy? However small the picture, my scanner can make a reasonable picture out of it...

I will create a chapter on Overvalwagens! dealing with motorcycles anyway (in a couple of months).

Did you say they had an armoured motorcycle combination? Wow, I have seen pics of them in service in Brazil, China, Argentina, but none sofar in the NEI....

I will also loook for secondhand copies of this magazine next time I'll be in Brussels!

Kind regards,
Nuyt

3:01 PM - Feb 17, 2006 #5

Utility:

Personnel:

Ammo carrier:

Enjoy,
Nuyt

Sources:
Shot this pic in the Brussels automobile museum a while back: a tricar with FN cab COE style. Enjoy,
Nuyt

10:34 PM - Feb 18, 2006 #6

Hi Jacques, that's very interesting!

Would it be possible to send me a Xerox copy? However small the picture, my scanner can make a reasonable picture out of it...

I will create a chapter on Overvalwagens! dealing with motorcycles anyway (in a couple of months).

Did you say they had an armoured motorcycle combination? Wow, I have seen pics of them in service in Brazil, China, Argentina, but none sofar in the NEI....

I will also loook for secondhand copies of this magazine next time I'll be in Brussels!

Kind regards,
Nuyt
The picture can be found here:

on this page:
http://www.overvalwagen.com/motorcycles.htm

4:53 PM - Mar 22, 2008 #7

as tested by KNIL, Ars Mechanica book on FN:

Plus one undergoing tests with the Portuguese:

10:19 PM - Sep 17, 2012 #8

Shot this pic in the Brussels automobile museum a while back: a tricar with FN cab COE style. Enjoy,
Nuyt
Does anyone know which country from Southamerica got the FN T3 Tricars? I haven't found any reference in the southamerican armies regarding this vehicle