Ethiopian equipment

Ethiopian equipment

Barrie
Barrie

February 8th, 2007, 5:46 pm #1

Does anyone have photographs of equipment , vehicles used by the Ethiopian army at the time of the Italian invasion?

February 13th, 2007, 6:37 pm #2

I think there are some photos in an old book written by one of the swedish officers who ran the military acadamy in Abessinia at the time, there isent much though.
I think its just some photos of cadets as well as some artillerypiece. The most interesting is one of some civilian trucks hired/required to transport the cadets to the front.
I will try and dig them up.

Erik
Sweden

Markozal
Markozal

February 14th, 2007, 10:08 pm #3

There were 234 Artillery pieces in the Ethiopian Artillery inventory including 10 Pak 35/36 6 Stokes/Brandt mortars and an undisclosed number of Becker (Oerlikon) 20 mm AA guns, some 75mm M1897 French guns and the remainder being circa 1896 Adwa captured or older

von Adler
von Adler

February 15th, 2007, 11:59 am #4

I have seen the figure 12 for the Pak35/36 and more than those 6 delivered after the war started on the mortars.

The Ethiopians had 4 Ft3000 tanks, one of which fought with the Army of Illub Abor in the south. 3 of them had short 37mms and one had MG armament, according to the info I have. I do not know which one the Illub Abor army used.

The Ethiopians also used Fiat trucks armed with Lewis MGs in the Ogaden desert. They also used Lewis AAMGs and Hotchkiss strip-loaded MGs.

I have seen hints of 37mm semi-automatic guns used - they could be infantry guns, they could be old naval artillery sold to the Ethiopians - the prices for arms in Addis Abeba was increadible in 1935, as all the Ras:es tried to acquire modern arms for their respective Chitet (feudal levies), so that a motley assortment of arms found their way there is not impossible.

The number of 75mm mle1897 seem to have been 40 in two battalions in the artillery brigade of the Kebur Zebagna (Imperial Guard).

The Italians had 70 75mm M1885 mountain guns at Adua, a number of them were captured by the Ethiopians and used in the second war.

The records of the battle of Adua suggest that Menelik II managed to acquire mountain guns with longer range than the Italian artillery before the battle and used them with good effect. Russian advisors were in Ethiopia at the time, so it is possible that the artillery was Russian 63,5mm M1883. A number of bronze muzzleloader smoothbores (that were popular in America and Europe 1700-1865) were probably also used.

Susan Cross
Susan Cross

February 16th, 2007, 2:59 am #5

I originally put in a link to a Spanish language site where I believed I had seen some information on Ethiopian equipment, but when I checked the site in its present form the information was not there. I will get to the bottom of this, maybe a visit to the Internet Archives . . . .
Last edited by soucee on February 16th, 2007, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

von Adler
von Adler

February 16th, 2007, 1:07 pm #6

The Ethiopian air force had 12 Potez 5 biplabe bomber/recon aircraft. These had no MG though.

von Adler
von Adler

February 16th, 2007, 2:05 pm #7

"Nazi Germany was thus virtually the only country to come to Ethiopia's assistance, and without Mussolini knowing, supplied Haile Sellassie's army with three aeroplanes, over sixty cannon, 10,000 Mauser rifles, and ten million cartridges."

Those sixty cannon include the twelve (or ten) 37mm pak:s I guess, but that are the others? Artillery?

From: http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/africa/ ... opia_2.htm

Other interesting links on the subject:
http://www.addistribune.com/Archives/20 ... oreign.htm
http://www.geocities.com/commande1/impguard30s.html
http://www.worldairforces.com/Countries ... a/eth.html

pglass
pglass

February 16th, 2007, 7:04 pm #8

Greetings to all in my first post in this forum - and thanks to the "creator" of this forum. Very very interesting. I have read only one book about the Italo-Ethiopian war of 1935-36 (Osprey´s MAA 309 I think it is). The pics are terrible - grainy and small. Not many details on weapons purchased by Ethiopia prior and during the war. I have come up with a list of some weapons browsing many (many) old webs and forums. It ranges from old single-shot Vetterlis to czechoslovak semi automatic ZH 29 rifles. I´ll put everything together and post it as soon as I can.

pglass

Nuyt
Nuyt

February 16th, 2007, 7:47 pm #9

Thanks p and welcome!
Looking forward to your postings...
Kind regards,
Nuyt

jean-yves
jean-yves

February 16th, 2007, 10:33 pm #10

The Ethiopian air force had 12 Potez 5 biplabe bomber/recon aircraft. These had no MG though.
Here is a side view of an Etiopian Potez