Don Kehn’s new book

Don Kehn’s new book

Nelson
Nelson

November 5th, 2017, 5:39 pm #1

I’m surprised that no mention has been made of Donald M. Kehn Jr’s new book, In the Highest Degree Tragic: The Sacrifice of the U.S. Asiatic Fleet in the East Indies during World War II, published by Potomac Books and appearing three months ago. Quite frankly, I don’t know of anyone who knows more on, has devoted so much research into, or remains so connected with this subject than Don Kehn, so I expect this book will be worth reading.

Nelson

Kevin D
Kevin D

November 6th, 2017, 1:11 pm #2

.............another of some years ago (not Don's) that should have been the definitive word on the Asiatc war subject, but left a lot to be desired IMO, shall we just say. However, full kudos to the author for at least writing on the subject, just a shame some of the 'facts' were not better checked. (As the Brit SAS said to the Yanks Delta Force after the fiasco in the Iranianin desert circa 1980 though "At least you had the guts to try!")

But I am not sure whats worse though, having nary a mention of your book on any forum and left in limbo as it were, i.e. the previous book I allude too, or have your book fiercely debated, as at least Jeff Cox's was, whatever its shortcomings may have been.

But no Nelson, I neither was aware Don's was published, with it seems, so little forum fanfare, given what portends to be one hell of a read, if the amount of research time he put into it has anything to do with it!

Here,s hoping!

March 12th, 2018, 6:53 am #3

Any thoughts on Don's new book?

KevinD
KevinD

March 12th, 2018, 10:20 am #4

Athough I am only a little over a third the way through the book, I have found the book so far to be simply excellent.

Note though that it is not an 'in depth' coverage of the Java Sea campaign per se, rather it is an in depth look at, primaily, the part the US Asiatic 'Fleet' and its men played in it, and of course the interpersonal 'relationships' of the key allied players.

I have no hesitation but to HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone interested in that forlorn campaign.