Dakota crash at Bekassi Java '45

Dakota crash at Bekassi Java '45

April 28th, 2013, 5:46 pm #1

On 25th November 1945 Dakota KG-500W from 31 Sqn crashed near Bekassi on Java. While I have the names of the crew I have not been able to collect a list of the passengers. Not even through CWGC homepage. Any suggestions will be happily received.

Edward
Edward

April 29th, 2013, 2:00 am #2

I'll start with this

"CRASH SURVIVORS MURDERED: 22 Bodies Found In Java Village"
From GRAHAM JENKINS
The Argus (Melbourne) - Monday 3 December 1945 [page 1]

BATAVIA - The mutilated bodies of four RAF aircrew and l8 Indian soldiers, who had been hacked to death, were recovered on Saturday from a shallow grave on the riverbank beside the Indonesian gaol in the deserted village of Bekassi, a few miles from Batavia.

The men, who made a forced landing in a RAF Dakota on the outskirts of Batavia on November 23, are believed to have been butchered by 50 youths of an extremist organisation known as the Black Buffaloes.

An Indonesian woman, who was held in the gaol waiting death on a charge of being a Dutch spy, led the British officers and correspondents to the scene of the crime.

The woman said 22 of the original 25 occupants of the Dakota were taken naked from the gaol a week ago and butchered. A large crowd of Indonesians cheered as the Black Buffaloes fell on the victims. Each man had his hands bound behind his back.

The military authorities are searching for an Indonesian named Darib, who is believed to be the head of the Black-Buffaloes and to have given the order for the execution.

April 30th, 2013, 7:22 pm #3

Thanks for the reply Edward. Actually the crew was five. And still unfortunately no names on the passengers.