A Swedish built Bofors 40mm L70 at Jakarta Museum

A Swedish built Bofors 40mm L70 at Jakarta Museum

May 1st, 2007, 4:12 pm #1

This time Marc Koelich sent four photos of a naval Bofors AAA gun on outdoor display.

The plate has following markings, mainly in small case letters:
40mm AA GUN L/70
Naval Mounting M/45
Ser No: 16
AB Bofors Sweden

There was no indication from which ship the gun came. Anybody?

May 1st, 2007, 4:16 pm #2

There is a second Bofors AA gun on display near the previous one. It also comes from a ship, but there were no indications given. I did not see any plate, but there were numbers on some parts, like AN.4966 and AN.1667, which I believe could be part numbers, Marc informs us.

I think this gun looks like a pre-war wheeled gun put on a concrete mount...
Anybody?

May 1st, 2007, 4:21 pm #3

This time Marc Koelich sent four photos of a naval Bofors AAA gun on outdoor display.

40mm AA GUN L/70
Naval Mounting M/45
AB Bofors Sweden

Marc writes:

"There is an interesting Bofors gun on display indoors, with a strange camouflage scheme. I don't know if this scheme is original, or is meant to represent a Japanese-style camouflage, or is just the result of somebody's creative mind.

The museum plate says that it is a 40mm and there are two more mentions of locations/events in Indonesian that do not make sense to me for time being. My feeling is that they refer to an event that occured during the war for independence. I will try to find out more.

The gun markings on the left side are:
BOFORS 1938
No 41
-B-> 41d. M/36 (B with horizontal arrow in it)
550 kg"

Susan Cross
Susan Cross

May 1st, 2007, 5:47 pm #4

40mm AA GUN L/70
Naval Mounting M/45
AB Bofors Sweden

Several Indonesian ship classes had the L/70: three Fatahillah class corvettes, four PSK mk 5 fast attack craft (missile) and possibly six Typ 509 "Kraljevica" class large patrol boats.

May 1st, 2007, 6:27 pm #5

OK, tks, then which carried a 1945 Sweden built Bofors? Surely the gun was secondhand, either ex-Dutch acquired by them during 45-50 or acquired by the Indonesians after 1950...