2 memories: "Situation hopeless; I'm going in." + skipper of RNN vessel

2 memories: "Situation hopeless; I'm going in." + skipper of RNN vessel

Melmoth the Wanderer (Don Kehn, Jr.)
Melmoth the Wanderer (Don Kehn, Jr.)

October 25th, 2011, 2:18 am #1

Hello,

1) I recently came across a wonderful anecdote (from about fifty years ago) in which one of HOUSTON's surviving turret officers recalled that CAPT H. M. L. Waller sent HOUSTON a final message as the Battle of Sunda Strait began, and which read, "Situation hopeless; I'm going in."

I suppose in his memories he had confused the famous signal from RADM Doorman on Feb 27th to the ships of the CSF, but it has a nice ring to it anyway.

2) Who was the skipper of the Dutch patrol vessel REIGER when it was sunk at Bantam Bay? The HOUSTON officer knew him--apparently they were in Serang's "jail" together--and recalled the name (incorrectly, I am guessing) as Willem Vanderjagt, or something like that...

MthW/DMKjr

Melmoth the WAnderer (DMKjr)
Melmoth the WAnderer (DMKjr)

November 2nd, 2011, 6:39 pm #2

Hello,

Another POW account by a HOUSTON officer that I dug up also records being in Serang gaol with this officer, named Willem Van Der Jagt of REIGER. I believe this was a small (592 ton) Gouvernements Marine patrol vessel, wasn't it? (I know I have an IJN destroyer's account of the engagement somewhere.)

What was Van Der Jagt's rank?

MthW/DMKjr

Felix
Felix

November 2nd, 2011, 11:41 pm #3

Reiger was an opium hunter.

I have van der jagt down for Gezagshebber, but i'm not certain that he held that rank at the time of Reiger's demise.

Melmoth the Wanderer (DMKjr)
Melmoth the Wanderer (DMKjr)

November 4th, 2011, 2:45 am #4

I guess REIGER's other duty was after the end of the opium regie in Java?

Somewhere I read a tourist/writer's account of visiting an opium factory on Java, but I no longer recall who wrote it.

Thanks again,

MthW/Don

Felix
Felix

November 7th, 2011, 4:16 pm #5

Hello,

Another POW account by a HOUSTON officer that I dug up also records being in Serang gaol with this officer, named Willem Van Der Jagt of REIGER. I believe this was a small (592 ton) Gouvernements Marine patrol vessel, wasn't it? (I know I have an IJN destroyer's account of the engagement somewhere.)

What was Van Der Jagt's rank?

MthW/DMKjr
It was temporary (waarnemend) Gezagshebber E.K. van Melle.

Finally found in in Bosscher "De Koninklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog" vol. II, bijlage 9; page 395.

Don Kehn, Jr
Don Kehn, Jr

November 7th, 2011, 4:44 pm #6

Felix,

Then which vessel did van der Jagt command? And how did he end up in the infamous Serang gaol with other naval POWs from ABDA?

Felix
Felix

November 7th, 2011, 6:46 pm #7

It is possible that van der jagt was a 1st officer at that time. One of the officers or engineers died but I presume there was a minimum of 5 officers and egineers plus a captain on board. The Bosscher book only references the commanding officers. Van der Jagt's name & rank came up in a RNN reunion attendees circular nothing about him and the Houston people going to the cinema.

Don Kehn, Jr
Don Kehn, Jr

November 7th, 2011, 7:35 pm #8

Felix,

How odd. I have at least two very explicit recollections by CA-30 officers held at Serang who say LT[?] Willem van der Jagt (his name is spelled differently in some reminiscences)was brought in, held with them, etc.

The account of REIGER's end that Visje gave me a few years back matches up pretty well with what van der Jagt seems to have told the Americans...That they abandoned the boat after grounding it on one of the many islets dotting Bantam Bay; that he and one other man (don't know if an engineer or officer or what) swam to the Java mainland & were soon captured by the Japanese and taken to Serang.

I also have a Japanese account which acknowledges that after being attacked by a DD (leading the invasion convoy into its anchorage at the head of Bantam Bay between the mainland & Pandjang Island) the boat was abandoned when it grounded, and most of the crew got away, etc.

Perhaps I'll just say he was serving aboard REIGER...

But, thanks for your efforts.

Don

ian mcleod
ian mcleod

November 14th, 2011, 7:42 am #9

officers attached to Reiger as follows
Cdt Gezaghebber Eduard Karel Van Melle LT2K GM POW/L
1e Officier Heinrich Karl Julius Lehmann LT2K GM POW/L
2e Officier Willem Hendrik Van Der Jagt LT3K GM POW/L
3e Officier Robert Frits Halkema LT3K POW/L
Hoofwerkundige Gerardus Johannes Muller LT2K GM POW/L
2e Werkundige Willem Von Kriegenbergh LT3K GM POW/L
3e Werkundige Wilhelm Rudolf Flissinger LT3K GM KILLED
Best regards Ian

ian mcleod
ian mcleod

November 14th, 2011, 9:29 am #10

Hi Everyone actually Lehmann died in March,1942 as a prisoner of war exact date unknown!
Best regards Ian