Who Was The Better Ponyboy In Your Opinion?

Discussion, info, and questions pertaining to the 1990 short lived television series which aired on Fox TV channel.

Who Was The Better Ponyboy In Your Opinion?

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

03 Jan 2006, 21:24 #1

Who was the better Ponyboy?

You may select 1 option

Personally, I think that Jay are. Ferguson did a better job as Ponyboy in the TV series. He just made him seem more like Ponyboy, sensitive.

It's kind of hard for me to admit this because, well, Tommy was sooooooooo cute as Ponyboy :rolleyes: *looks up with dreamy expression in eyes*, but anyway (as you probably figure, I didn't think Jay was that cute), I need to get over my emotional bias.

What do you think?

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

03 Jan 2006, 21:42 #2

ive never seen the tv show :(. i agree, ponyboy in the movie was soooooooooo cute!

Skyline
Posts 0
Skyline

03 Jan 2006, 22:21 #3

Cho @ Jan 3 2006, 03:24 PM wrote: Personally, I think that Jay are. Ferguson did a better job as Ponyboy in the TV series. He just made him seem more like Ponyboy, sensitive.

It's kind of hard for me to admit this because, well, Tommy was sooooooooo cute as Ponyboy :rolleyes: *looks up with dreamy expression in eyes*, but anyway (as you probably figure, I didn't think Jay was that cute), I need to get over my emotional bias.

What do you think?
I thought both were good, but I prefered Howell because he was actually more as I imagined him. You got a point about Ferguson seeming more sensitive, but I would have thought Ponyboy would tend more toward 'sensitive on the inside but tough on the outside' just with the era and neighbourhood they were in.

I don't think either of them was especially 'cute' but thats probably just because I'm too old lol. I prefered the Tim Shepard character for the eye candy.

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

03 Jan 2006, 22:28 #4

I liked CT's performance as Ponyboy better, mostly because I think that although Pony was a sensitive person, outwardly he wouldn't show that to anyone but his close friends/family. Strangers or acquaintances I think he would've shown the tough side of himself and had his guard up. I think CT did a better job presenting him as how an average person would see him. He did a great job with the sensitive scenes too.

Skyline
Posts 0
Skyline

03 Jan 2006, 22:34 #5

marsonfire @ Jan 3 2006, 04:28 PM wrote: I liked CT's performance as Ponyboy better, mostly because I think that although Pony was a sensitive person, outwardly he wouldn't show that to anyone but his close friends/family. Strangers or acquaintances I think he would've shown the tough side of himself and had his guard up. I think CT did a better job presenting him as how an average person would see him. He did a great job with the sensitive scenes too.
Yep I agree with that, you worded it better than I did! Thats a good point about Howell presenting him more as he would be seen to an outsider. I remember when I saw the movie at first I thought that Ponyboy seemed too tough in it, but then I realized that was actually the whole point! People not looking past the outside etc.

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

03 Jan 2006, 23:15 #6

Tommy's acting style was so cute as well. That's what made him cute. I loved him them and I always will! :P

~!~pony_boy~!~
Posts 0
~!~pony_boy~!~

12 Jan 2006, 21:42 #7

i dident even know thir was a tv show about it. i wish i saw it now!!! i havent even seen the movie yet i just Read the book lol

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

13 Jan 2006, 22:34 #8

although ive never seen the show, i dont know now if i would have watched it, i mean i went to a website on it and it said ponyboy has SEX. she has it with some girl named scout or whatever. i mean come on picture that. ponyboy having sex? thats so out of character. could you really see ponyboy doing that?

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2006, 19:59 #9

I just recently learned of this "tv show". I wish I could of seen it! does anyone know anything were you could get it...watch reruins or anything????
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2006, 20:06 #10

Hey wait a minute! I just went to a site that said the tv series was broadcasted in 1990???? If this is true no wonder I didn't see it... I WASN'T ALIVE! LOL
- Robert Frost

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

14 Jan 2006, 21:01 #11

just went to a site that said the tv series was broadcasted in 1990???? If this is true no wonder I didn't see it... I WASN'T ALIVE! LOL
yeah same here, i was born in 1992.

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

14 Jan 2006, 21:58 #12

ilovetheoutsiders @ Jan 13 2006, 04:34 PM wrote: although ive never seen the show, i dont know now if i would have watched it, i mean i went to a website on it and it said ponyboy has SEX. she has it with some girl named scout or whatever. i mean come on picture that. ponyboy having sex? thats so out of character. could you really see ponyboy doing that?
i know!! it bumbs me out when i heard that! i mean it is reqlly out of character i wish they change it... :unsure: C. Thomas Howell was much hotter and he did seem sensative he just like the ponyboy i imagined :)

stephanie_gunsandroses16
Posts 0
stephanie_gunsandroses16

14 Jan 2006, 23:13 #13

Tommy WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER...i haven't seen the T.V SHOW but even if i see the series no other actor will be better than Tommy's...EVER!!

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 01:31 #14

Ponyboy having sex is a little off????. I think that the Curtis brothers aren't like the other Greasers. In The Outsiders they never did anything like that. Maybe Two-Bit, Steve, or Dally...But not Ponyboy! :(

THE EDIT: I was born in 1992 also!
- Robert Frost

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

15 Jan 2006, 02:19 #15

I think that the Curtis brothers aren't like the other Greasers.
definately :)

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 02:34 #16

ilovetheoutsiders @ Jan 14 2006, 08:19 PM wrote: definately :)
becuase this site http://www.greasers.org/index.html which I think was made by an x-greaser does not even start to describe Pony, Soda, or Darry. I found that site and was amazed at how Ponyboy, Soda and I think Darry...even Johnny were not like that. Those details at the website are what made people pity the Greasers, but the Curtis' and Johnny weren't like that. If only they would have looked beyond the greasy hair, they would have had a REAL friend! :P
- Robert Frost

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

15 Jan 2006, 03:17 #17

Christian @ Jan 14 2006, 07:31 PM wrote: Ponyboy having sex is a little off????. I think that the Curtis brothers aren't like the other Greasers. In The Outsiders they never did anything like that. Maybe Two-Bit, Steve, or Dally...But not Ponyboy! :(

That was the scriptwriters' fault, not the actor's.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 03:31 #18

Cho @ Jan 14 2006, 09:17 PM wrote:
Christian @ Jan 14 2006, 07:31 PM wrote: Ponyboy having sex is a little off????. I think that the Curtis brothers aren't like the other Greasers. In The Outsiders they never did anything like that. Maybe Two-Bit, Steve, or Dally...But not Ponyboy! :(

No I was meaning the show. I was saying( since I never seen it) that that didn't sound like the movie. Is it just me or is the tv series startin to sound like a big FOX big time got to impress the people act?
- Robert Frost

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

15 Jan 2006, 03:55 #19

Christian @ Jan 14 2006, 09:31 PM wrote:
Cho @ Jan 14 2006, 09:17 PM wrote:

No I was meaning the show. I was saying( since I never seen it) that that didn't sound like the movie. Is it just me or is the tv series startin to sound like a big FOX big time got to impress the people act?
The plotline for the series was not as good as that for the movie, IMHO. I hated them "replacing" our precious Johnny as Pony's best friend with another girl named Scout. I WILL NOT HAVE ANYONE REPLACE JOHNNY! :angry: If I were the director, I would've made Pony run away from everything and everyone in his sight for a while. It would take time for the internal scars to heal, time before he spoke to his fellow students again.

coffee

But other than that, it was pretty good. :)

MyPaperHeartxx
Advanced Member
MyPaperHeartxx
Advanced Member

02 Dec 2006, 23:27 #20

I dont know i like them both.. thats just my opinion.

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

03 Dec 2006, 03:37 #21

I think they both did a great job of acting, but I think Jay presents '14 year old kid' better than Tommy did. I especially liked the intro in the pilot where Pony can't remember what time the welfare "guy" was supposed to come, and had written it where he couldn't even tell Darry the right time.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

03 Dec 2006, 11:02 #22

I agree with you Ces. Jay to me just looked more like pony for me it's nothing to do with acting or anything I'm going purely on looks here, Jay looked more innocent or something there was just something about him, i'm just going on Stella's clips because I've never seen the show.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

x JESSICA <3
Posts 0
x JESSICA <3

03 Dec 2006, 13:40 #23

I liked Tommy better.. thats how I pictured Pony. Something about Jay's face just doesn't seem right to me for the character... I dunno LOL. They both did a good job of acting though :) I just liked Tommy better.

JEFFd
Advanced Member
JEFFd
Advanced Member

04 Dec 2006, 04:48 #24

Tommy Howell.

Jay is good, but I always think of him being Burt Reynolds son in the TV show "Evening Shade". LOL

-Jeff
"There's still lots of good in the world-Stay Gold"

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

15 Apr 2007, 23:32 #25

I never saw the tv series but I agree with alot of people here. C.Thomas Howell was awsome as Ponyboy.

EDIT I just took a look at some pictures of Jay Ferguson and honestly I prefer the way he looks as Ponyboy its more how I imagined him as attractive a C.Thomas Howell is. :P