What Was Hinton?

Discuss anything relating to Hinton herself here; such as questions as to where to find interviews, what's her favorite books, what's she doing now, ect...more personalized stuff like that. NOTE: please continue to place book or movie related questions in the appropriate category. Thanks!

What Was Hinton?

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

13 Jan 2006, 21:32 #1

I Read some where that she was a middle class kind of person. Then I also Read that she was walking with her greaser friends and that they were yelled at. I was just wondering if she was a greaser. I guess it seems she was???
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

13 Jan 2006, 22:08 #2

Not really, I don't think... The typecasting thing is really what she dislikes, I think, and never saw herself as either. She didn't even realize her friends were greasers.

I know she was in classes with Socs. But she had some greaser friends.

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

13 Jan 2006, 22:50 #3

she said she was a tomboy in the back of the ones we have at the schools theres a little question answer thingy so maybe she was like me, hanging out with friends from all the different groups. i guess she was a middle class tomboy.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

13 Jan 2006, 23:43 #4

Yeah that is what I thought. I thought it said somewhere that she was just a tomboy kind of middle class. I guess that is like me too. I can hang out with the popular guys as well as some of the unpopular guys too. I don't know... I just wish there wasn't this divided line between all of us. :angry:
- Robert Frost

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

13 Jan 2006, 23:47 #5

yeah youd think by now wed stop this whole dividing thingy and just get on with our lives but whatever, my schools prety good with letting eachother hang out with whatever group we want, except those few bitchy girls

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

14 Jan 2006, 00:00 #6

you know, most kids in my school arent like jock, prep, punk, goth ect. its just the mean girls, the nice ones, and the uncool ones. we still have groups though. the rule at our school: if you want respect, treat your social group nicely and treat the ones outside your group like trash. i dont know why, but thats the way it is.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2006, 00:04 #7

We've got this whole divison thing. I mean I could be worst, but still it ain't fun. I mean pretty much you can hang out with most anybody, but there is still those few that are just so crabby. I can only imagine bein a greaser. :(
- Robert Frost

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

14 Jan 2006, 01:34 #8

Susan wasn't a soc or a greaser. She was kind of in between, and until she saw her friend got beat up for no apparent reason (which was what a main part of the Outsiders was based on) she didn't really even realize that there were social gangs that divided up people.

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

14 Jan 2006, 02:04 #9

yeah thats wat i Read. so is ponyboy based on her friend who was beaten up?

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2006, 02:20 #10

I don't know who pony was based on, but I have heard of the story of "Ponyboy" getting beat up before.

I wonder what Hinton thought when she realized her very friends were treated like trash everyday? I don't know but maybe that is where the real fire came from for writing this book?
- Robert Frost

IlovePonyboy:)
Posts 0
IlovePonyboy:)

14 Jan 2006, 21:02 #11

I heard S.E Hinton say that Ponyboy was based on herself.

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

14 Jan 2006, 23:14 #12

i could believe that, hinton loves to Read.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 01:28 #13

WOW thats amazing! I don't really know what Hinton is like, but if Ponyboy is based on her she has to be enjoyable!!!
- Robert Frost

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

15 Jan 2006, 03:13 #14

Pony was the observer of the story, just like Susie was at her school.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 03:27 #15

Wow that is a great observation Cho! I never thought of it like that...I love when there are always mysteries inside a mystery! lol :D
- Robert Frost

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

15 Jan 2006, 03:58 #16

LOL :D

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 16:23 #17

Well another thing I would like an answer on is does she like belive in her characters. Like has she put in her mind they're real? Like its kind of hard to explain, but does she know all her characters by heart?
- Robert Frost

Cho
Posts 0
Cho

15 Jan 2006, 17:11 #18

Christian @ Jan 15 2006, 10:23 AM wrote: Well another thing I would like an answer on is does she like belive in her characters. Like has she put in her mind they're real? Like its kind of hard to explain, but does she know all her characters by heart?
Yeah. She needs to know everything about her characters, from their favourite foods for breakfast to - ugh - just stuff they do - evern if it doesn't appear in the book.

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2006, 23:38 #19

Christian @ Jan 15 2006, 10:23 AM wrote:Well another thing I would like an answer on is does she like belive in her characters. Like has she put in her mind they're real? Like its kind of hard to explain, but does she know all her characters by heart?
Ok I guess I totally messed that last post up! What I was tryin to say was you know how most of us here have like an obession with these characters? I was tryin to ask if Hinton has the same obession? Like cause everyday I think about The Outsiders and I was wondering if she was the same way. Like did she create new Greaser friends or does she think its crazy to be obessed with Soda, Darry, Johnny, Dallas, and of course PONYBOY! :D
- Robert Frost

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

16 Jan 2006, 19:59 #20

lol yeah.

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

16 Jan 2006, 20:01 #21

did anyone listen to jesus of suburbia? do you understand what it means?

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

16 Jan 2006, 20:31 #22

I will look for it.
- Robert Frost

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

16 Jan 2006, 22:14 #23

Ha, I would rather be in school than work.. yeah, even high school.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

17 Jan 2006, 19:50 #24

id so much rather have a job, at least you get paid. i dont why you put even high school. in my opinion, high school blows grammar school away. more freedom, more friends (my school is a bunch of grammar schools combined), and good gossip. actually i want to be a 12th grader. my brother has like 5 periods and then he goes home and he has a car so he can do whatever he wants. hes so lucky!

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

07 Feb 2006, 20:56 #25

I put "even high school" because a lot of people would rather do anything than go through high school again. I didn't really mind it, although it was mind-numbing. But hey, college is mind-numbing to me too :D

However, being in school instead of working gives me more time with my kids, which is why I prefer school, of any kind, to working. I'm in school around 12-14 hours a week, which is way less than if I was working even part time.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter