What Made / Makes You Like The Book So Much?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

What Made / Makes You Like The Book So Much?

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

30 Jan 2005, 16:22 #1

What Made / Makes You Like the Book So Much?

You may select up to 5 options

Mine is answer #2....you can read my story on the 'Website design team' page of the site.

What about you?
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

30 Jan 2005, 22:23 #2

Hey Jenn,

Great topic!! I would say number 1, I feel like an outsider myself just because people normally wouldn't recognize me and if they did it would be for something bad, and i was considered smart but no always cool.

MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member
MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member

30 Jan 2005, 23:43 #3

i said the first one when i voted, but that's not really all of it. i was drawn to the brotherly love in it; i'm a sucker for brothers. also, i had never read a "drama" book before. it really opened me up to different books. :)
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.-The Fray "All at Once"

qwerty
Posts 0
qwerty

30 Jan 2005, 23:59 #4

I choose choice number two. As a child I generally felt as though I didn't fit in and was very uncool. I also like the book because it describes people who are very different from me in a very innocent writing style.

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

31 Jan 2005, 20:01 #5

Number one. I don't really feel that I fit in very well with anyone. I really related to the book, and it opened up a whole new world to me.

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

04 Feb 2005, 06:19 #6

That is an interesting poll and seeing the results.

I would say that I also like stories that have to do with group of young people getting along with each other. When I write stories, I like to write stories about group of people.

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

04 Feb 2005, 06:22 #7

Just to let everyone know, I discovered "The Outsiders" when I was nine, and I was an outsider until I was in high school. I did have a group of friends, but we weren't popular, but we didn't care. We were just happy to have each other as friends. My friends were outsiders too in elementary.

Gabby
Posts 0
Gabby

09 Feb 2005, 15:17 #8

I could always find close ties to myself, and my life in the book. I am one of three kids. No mom, absent dad, we really raised ourselves and we all turned out well - two college grads.

The friendships were very real too. I think the way the friends in the book were written almost everyone can find a friend to match. I know mine did. (the funny one, the gear head one, the lost one, the one with poor parents...)

I have always been a deep thinker too and the situations Ponyboy goes through can easily parallel so many things in teenage life.

Also the movie came out when I was a girl and the eye candy really helped to solidify the charaters into nice looking young men!!!

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

09 Feb 2005, 19:49 #9

I've always kind of felt real close to the book. I'm considered an outsider. I'm just different, I guess that's the only word that can describe me. I'm no where near rich, my house is not special at all. The thing that made me love the book was hearing that "things are rough all over".

And I know how Darry feels about worrying about keeping Soda and Pony and I can understand what he goes through. I have twins (Zack and Noelle) and I know what's it's like to worry about losing custody of those you love the most. I'm constantly having people from the state dropping in to see how alls doing. I'm scared to death to have my babies taken away from me.

I feel like I'm there when I read the book. I know what it's like to go through most of the things in the book and it's real special to me.
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Coolerin_Cade
Posts 0
Coolerin_Cade

09 Feb 2005, 21:25 #10

I really like the charakters and yeah everything at the book! I am only 15 year old but the book is just so "modern" for me! I love it to death! But I never seen the movie yet. My friend and I search it overall.....
I love the brother love by the book...just everything!

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

15 Feb 2005, 03:46 #11

I have noticed during the past several months that a lot of people have picked up different things from the book, and have related to several different things from the story. It is good and very interesting. :)

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

15 Feb 2005, 14:41 #12

Kind of a differant answer here, I am a #2. I was always the "loner", like Dally, but like Pony in the sense that I had aside to me that was interested in school work, ran track, and tried to get along with everybody. But I got along with my mother about like Johnny, and that has had lasting impressions to this day. Stay Gold! Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

17 Feb 2005, 05:38 #13

I guess you can say that I am like Pony and a little bit like Daryl.

Like Pony - I am a dreamer and I like to write.

Like Daryl - I can be protective (like an older sister) to my friends.

Anna
Posts 0
Anna

22 Feb 2005, 12:49 #14

I chose number 1...I can really relate to Ponyboy, he's my favorite character even if I don't "love" him like most people say they do (especially in fanfictions)... that's why I worship Soda... ;)
I think everyone goes through a phase where he/she feels like an Outsider, though...but I also love the novel because I think it teaches a lot to teenagers who read it.

peacenstars
Posts 0
peacenstars

12 Mar 2005, 22:45 #15

err i guess, i'm drawn to the book because i feel like an outsider, even among my friend and people i know. i also just really liked the book and how it was written and everything. not to mention S.E. Hinton made everybody sound so 'tuff' it was just kewl.

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

23 Mar 2005, 20:08 #16

I would probably go for a #1 because i don't have real BEST friends and i get made fun of some times because i am extremely tall.

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

11 Apr 2005, 23:43 #17

Steve'sgirl4ever @ Mar 23 2005, 02:08 PM wrote: I would probably go for a #1 because i don't have real BEST friends and i get made fun of some times because i am extremely tall.
I said the last one because everything just wrapped me up in it. The chracters had real meaning and it made me think, "Wow, I really shouldn't judge people without getting to know them" I think it just gave me a look at reality.

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

12 Apr 2005, 05:36 #18

Sodapop's_chick @ Apr 11 2005, 05:43 PM wrote: The chracters had real meaning and it made me think, "Wow, I really shouldn't judge people without getting to know them" I think it just gave me a look at reality.
I think that may be one of the reasons why S.E. Hinton wrote the book... Thanks for sharing that thought with us...

theappleofmyeye
Posts 0
theappleofmyeye

04 May 2005, 20:53 #19

I chose the last one. None of the others really apply to me. I guess since I have no brothers it was interesting to read about brothers.... I just got totally wrapped up in the book and was in awe of how realistic it was.

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

13 Dec 2009, 20:22 #20

I chose the first one because, well, I am an outsider. I can relate to this book sooooo much, it's the best book in the world. It taught me so much about life, and how everyone has problems, and no one's life is perfect. Every since I read it, I became so attached to it, and it is MY FAVORITE book. It will stay with me FOREVER.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 15:34 #21

I chose 1 and 4. :) And I'm proud.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:46 #22

I picked the "I can relate to it; I feel like an 'Outsider' myself" choice.
I have a small group of friends and we don't have a label (y'know like prep, nerd, whatever) We're just a bunch of outsiders who became best friends :)
♥Stay Gold♥

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 02:04 #23

Yeah that's a lot like my friends too, Sodapop127. :)
I can relate to this book so much.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 09:05 #24

Same thing with me an' my buddies. But between us all, I'm more of an outsider than they ever will be because of my tomboy-ish, swagger-ish attitude. And I don't care anymore. I am who I am; I will not change and I will not apologize.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

16 Jan 2010, 00:45 #25

Same here. Outsiders means people who don't know where to belong, and that describes me pretty darn well. I really don't mind that much anymore, after reading The Outsiders. It told be that it's ok to be a loner. :)

You are who you are; it's great to be proud of it!!!!!