Was It Suicide?

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Was It Suicide?

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

15 Jul 2009, 09:45 #1

The question arose if dallas was suicidal. In a way he was, even Ponyboy views his death as something he wanted to happen. So here's my interpretation of it (sorry for rambling but these things tend to go around and around in my head).
Dallas didn't kill himself, that would have been cowardice and he was no coward. But there wasN't anything to live for, any more, either. Jonny was the fin thread tied him to humanity and he had two options after Jonny was gone. To stay alive but not human any more or to stay human but not alive any more.
He had wanted to protect Jonny. Nobody did protect him when he was a little kid and even when he was Jonnys age but kids have a right to be protected. What happened to Dallas as a kid was wrong (POnyboy once depicts him living on the streets at 10 years).- he knew it was wrong and by trying to protect Jonny he sort of yelled at all the world that it is wrong kids not being protected and their own parents neglect them like Jonny's do.
And after Jonny was gone and he hadn't been able to protect him what else was there to do in life for him?
Pony says in his retrospective that Dallas would have ended that way anyway one day. It was inevitable and still it was a honourable death worthy the comparison to Gone With The Wind, and it was not a suicide.
I know I'm getting poetic :18: somebody shut my fingers up, please.

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

15 Jul 2009, 17:15 #2

I had not considered this aspect of Dallas. He does seem to care for Johnny in a brotherly way. I will re-read that portion of the book and give you my imput on this.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

15 Jul 2009, 17:42 #3

I'm mostly leaning on what Dallas says to Jonny about how jail affects a person and that he doesn't want that to happen to Jonny. The way he is described to change in behaviour when he says this makes me think he identifies with Jonny.

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

02 Jan 2010, 05:21 #4

Yea I was always trying to decide whether Dally actually commited suicide or not. I always end up thinking that it was both. The way you said that made me think differently about it......how he didnt really do it because it wasnt cowardice. But I know he was protective of Johnny because Johnny was a sweet guy with horrible parents, and Johnny didnt have to end up being hard like Dally. Dally wanted to save him from that.
Oh its so sad I wanna cry. :(
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 09:56 #5

SHOOT, now y'all are makin' me tear up.... Oh, Johnnycake. :'( Oh, Dallas.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:57 #6

In the book I thought Ponyboy said that Dally wanted that to happen (getting shot) because Johnny was the only person Dally had and cared about. I read the book a while ago so that may not be right.
♥Stay Gold♥

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 02:06 #7

In the book I thought Ponyboy said that Dally wanted that to happen (getting shot) because Johnny was the only person Dally had and cared about. I read the book a while ago so that may not be right.
Yup you're right about that.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 09:20 #8

When you spend time ponderin' about this, it hits you kinda hard, doesn't it? :(

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

16 Jan 2010, 01:06 #9

Yeah, it does. It's hits ya real hard. Makes me wanna cry! :'(
And thinking about it EVERY minute doesn't help. :(

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

20 Jan 2010, 10:53 #10

Then think about Pony and Two-Bit wrestlin', or Steve doin' his first flip off the car. :)

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2010, 00:51 #11

Then think about Pony and Two-Bit wrestlin', or Steve doin' his first flip off the car. :)
Aw, yeah thanks. Those were some happy moments, weren't they. *sigh*

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2010, 03:34 #12

I have given this topic some thought and I don't think Dallas committed suicide.

The reason why I feel like this is because Dally always had his guard up. His facade that prevented anyone from getting too close to him. By Dally taking Johnny under his wing, and having a soft spot for Johnny in his heart, it meant Dally had to let down a little of his guard. When Johnny died, the one vulnerable little place of Dally became his Achilles heel. I think that in his grief, Dally underestimated what the police would do to him, and thats why Dally died.

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and like always, I feel that S.E. Hinton left this open to interpretation.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

22 Jan 2010, 03:18 #13

I have given this topic some thought and I don't think Dallas committed suicide.

The reason why I feel like this is because Dally always had his guard up. His facade that prevented anyone from getting too close to him. By Dally taking Johnny under his wing, and having a soft spot for Johnny in his heart, it meant Dally had to let down a little of his guard. When Johnny died, the one vulnerable little place of Dally became his Achilles heel. I think that in his grief, Dally underestimated what the police would do to him, and thats why Dally died.

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and like always, I feel that S.E. Hinton left this open to interpretation.

Stay Gold, Karen
Oh! Never thought of it that way! Now it's makin' some sense to me. He lost his only soft spot, and went completely hard, and just turned his unloaded gun at the cops. But didn't Pony say in the book that he wanted to die, and always got what he wanted? Hmmm...

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

22 Jan 2010, 19:10 #14

Heh, that was a good realization, Karen. :) thebiggestoutsidersfan does have a point, though; in the book, Pony did say the Dally wanted to die. Kinda confusin', ain't it?

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

23 Jan 2010, 05:14 #15

Yeah it's basically your opinion. There's no definite answer; S. E. Hinton left it to us do decide. :) But I really can't choose. I think it could go both ways.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

09 Feb 2010, 15:22 #16

Yep. Heh, S.E. Hinton's sneaky... >)

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

15 Feb 2010, 03:23 #17

LOL yeah! Sneaky is good, though. :) Leaves room to imagine it how ya want.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Feb 2010, 13:08 #18

I suppose. xD

SherryBaby79

20 Aug 2010, 04:45 #19

I have a theory, but I'm hesitant to say it. What I think Dally did was suicide-by-cop. He'd just lost the one person he loved and cared about. He couldn't imagine living in a world without Johnny. So, he used the cops to kill him. That's my opinion, anyway. I like to watch cop shows like Criminal Minds and NCIS. That's kind of where I got the idea that what Dally did was suicide-by-cop.
"Never close your eyes, open up your mind, and you can have everything." Everything--Buckcherry

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

23 Aug 2010, 19:44 #20

SherryBaby--> Well, that actually IS pretty much what happened... :)