Tulsa Visit June 2005

Jenn & Karen traveled to Tulsa June 9 - 12th to visit with S.E. Hinton and check out filming sites from Outsiders, Tex, and Rumble Fish! Check out this forum to read about the trip...

Tulsa Visit June 2005

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

13 Jun 2005, 03:10 #1

Yep, that's right!
I'll be posting a much more detailed post within the next day or so, but for now here's the highlights:
  • Got meet and check out filming locations tour guided by S.E. Hinton herself on Friday & Saturday
  • Had Dinner with her at a great seafood resturant!
  • Visited and chatted over sorting out film stills from her various films! She sent some great items back with me to share with ya'll.
  • Just had a great relaxing vacation overall!
We stayed at a B&B there in Tulsa in an upscale part called "Brookside". It was beautiful; wonderful artitecture, beautiful landscaping and decor, neat shops, pubs and resturants, that sort of thing.

I will be creating a few new pages for the site over the next week. They are going to be approved by S.E. Hinton before they are released on the web, so please be patient with me on getting them up.

We have lots of goodies for you...and so much to tell. Give us a few days to get all all written out for you.

S.E. is a great person; kind, gracious, TOTALLY unpretentious, and just basically a homebody that loves her flowers, wildlife, horses, and her family. She's funny and witty, sincere and upfront. She's working on several projects at once right now, which is rare for her. She typically focuses on one project at a time, but not this time. She's as excited as anyone about the new DVD coming out and appreciates everyone's enthusiasm and patience in this long wait. It WILL be worth it!

MORE TO COME....
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

13 Jun 2005, 12:46 #2

wow, that's fantastic! It's brilliant to know that she's such a nice lady. I bet you two had a really fun time!
I eagerly look forward to the extra pages!
I hope S.E Hinton is having fun with her projects!
Did she mention the re-release of Rumble Fish as well or was it more focused on The Outsiders?
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

13 Jun 2005, 18:07 #3

Just out of curiosity, was it the first time you had met her?
Since you seem to have kept up an email correspondance for a few years, so I was just wondering :)

Katie's Rumble Fish site

stephanie_gunsandroses16
Posts 0
stephanie_gunsandroses16

13 Jun 2005, 20:39 #4

this is a wonderful thing.. i really can't wait for the ' goodies ' to tie us over until THE BIG DAY!!

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

13 Jun 2005, 22:02 #5

Pitythebackseat @ Jun 13 2005, 06:07 PM wrote: Just out of curiosity, was it the first time you had met her?
Since you seem to have kept up an email correspondance for a few years, so I was just wondering :)
yes, it's the first time for both (or should I say all three of us) meeting.
I had written S.E. for the first time on July 11, 2000 after she signed the old, old guestbook (shame that's been lost :o :( ) and she wrote me back. The rest is history...

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

16 Jun 2005, 14:30 #6

Hey Jenn & Karen

Boy, are you two lucky! I would've died for the chance of meeting S.E.Hinton! Did you get any pictures of her? :P Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time, can'tw ait to hear what else you did!

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

16 Jun 2005, 14:50 #7

Hayley @ Jun 16 2005, 02:30 PM wrote: ... Did you get any pictures of her? ...
Hey there...yea, I guess I consider us "lucky" too!

As for pics, we do but they will not be posted here or anywhere else at any time. That's one thing she doesn't do...it's not that she's not friendly, she just likes to be able to go to the store, ect without being bombarded. She prefers that the older pics, taken around filming times (early 80's) be the ones appearing on the websites.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

16 Jun 2005, 16:58 #8

I just read the newsletter. I think it's fantastic that the actors keep in touch, especially Matt, aw, since they've done a lot of work together.

I'm still wishing I could come over to NYC to see the film in theatres!
If I could, we should definitely have a mini meet up!

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

16 Jun 2005, 19:08 #9

:D Yes, we have pictures with S.E. Hinton, but these are for our own use, and will not be published at any time. I can understand completely why she values her privacy. I thoroughly enjoyed my vivist to Tulsa, and if I had the chance to ever go again, I would in a heartbeat. Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

ponygirlxcurtis
Posts 0
ponygirlxcurtis

19 Jun 2005, 22:58 #10

Jenn, thankx a bunch for taking the time to post everything up!!!! :D

I cannot wait!!!!

blondheadedmonkee
Posts 0
blondheadedmonkee

20 Jun 2005, 02:59 #11

This is so cool! Thanks for posting it all here. I can't wait! :D

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

24 Nov 2005, 01:19 #12

-clears throat- I got to go too. My friend's aunt got us in, because she lived next to S.E. Hinton for years when they were in high school. I got autographs from all of em - Tommy Howell, Ralph Macchio, and S.E. Hinton. And plenty of pictures. We had a ball. No sleep that night. Not to mention, we'd flown in from Texas. We even got to give two interviews. One for Tulsa World paper, and one for Tulsa Kids.

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

24 Nov 2005, 01:20 #13

Shoot - really sorry. I meant I'd gone to the premiere. I feel dumb now. Sorry people!

twobitsgirl
Posts 0
twobitsgirl

25 Nov 2005, 21:44 #14

:o You are so lucky :o

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

29 Nov 2005, 03:51 #15

I'm just annoyed that I forgot when it was supposed to be - didn't find out until the week after. I could have gone.. :(
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

RobynNicole
Posts 0
RobynNicole

17 Jun 2006, 20:30 #16

Is this trip to Tulsa for the showing of the new Outsiders film? I saw all the pics of Tommy Howell there. Did you guys meet any of the cast?

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

18 Jun 2006, 03:36 #17

No. This is the first trip we made to Tulsa, in June of last year. The premiere for the Outsiders: The Complete Novel was in September 2005. We had a blast! I would love to get the opportunity to go back. It is a cool town, very easy to navigate and lots of neat places to visit.
We got to meet Tommy Howell and Ralph Macchio on the second trip, and we met S.E. Hinton on the first trip.
Stay Gold, Karen

RobynNicole
Posts 0
RobynNicole

18 Jun 2006, 21:00 #18

Oh my don't stop there. Tell me how Ralph and Tommy were? Nice guys or what? I'm really jealous. Do you guys ever listen to Tommy Howell's radio show? I heard it for the first time last week. I enjoyed it! :D

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

19 Jun 2006, 19:59 #19

Read the entry on the main website for all the details of the trip. It was a blast!
Stay Gold, Karen

RobynNicole
Posts 0
RobynNicole

20 Jun 2006, 02:27 #20

Ok yeah I'm jealous. That looked like a ball. You guys got to go because of the website? Were the wives of Ralph and Tommy there?

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

20 Jun 2006, 13:01 #21

RobynNicole @ Jun 19 2006, 09:27 PM wrote: Were the wives of Ralph and Tommy there?
Hey there.....(popping in while the baby's sleeping!!)

In answer to your question, nope, their wives were not with them on this trip. Both were accompanied by their assistants.

In ditto of Karen, it was simply awesome. If you've not yet seen that part of the website, check out the 'Tulsa Premiere' section and see all the pics and the summary of the premiere. Should give you a pretty good idea of the time we had!! :D :D

Would love to go back to Tulsa someday....it was a wonderful city; I loved the scenery and all the color there. Where I live it's very flat and bland.

Catch ya'll later!
Jenn

RobynNicole
Posts 0
RobynNicole

20 Jun 2006, 16:07 #22

Yeah that would definitely be a good place to go. I've never been to Oklahoma. Well, I'm extremely jealous of you guys. That must have been really wild to meet people who you've been keeping up with for so many years. Those guys were my biggest crushes when I was growing up. Them and Andrew McCarthy.haha! :D

Sodapop
Posts 0
Sodapop

21 Jan 2007, 16:41 #23

Snap it that'd be awesome. S.E. Hinton has a great writing style, and I would LOVE meeting her. Your SO lucky.

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

22 Jan 2007, 23:09 #24

Sodapop @ Jan 21 2007, 11:41 AM wrote: Your SO lucky.
Agreed. I'm green with envy!
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

14 Jul 2007, 05:12 #25

How old are ya'll? I wasn't even born when the Outsiders movie came out and I'm a HUGE fan of it. Does S.E Hinton read her fan mail? I'd love to meet her someday, but I'm wondering what I'm going to write to her about, because the situation with my age is kind of akward...
Is she nice? I want to write a novel someday...