"the Outsiders" As A Musical!?!?

Announcements of performances, questions, thoughts, ect...anything related to a stage production of the story.

"the Outsiders" As A Musical!?!?

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

08 Mar 2005, 20:43 #1

Check out this
website and form your own opinion.....hmmmm
"THE OUTSIDERS" - the Musical!

...you can view production notes here:

the Production Notes to the Musical
Adobe format...

Watch a clip of the performance here:

WATCH A CLIP OF THE PERFORMANCE!!

You will need QUICKTIME to watch the video
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

09 Mar 2005, 02:08 #2

I'm sorry, but I could never imagine Dally singing. Ever. Or, for that matter, any of the others, except maybe Soda, but he'd be humming....

Anyway, I guess I'm not too keen on the idea of a musical...I don't know, it's just me.

SodasGirl
Posts 0
SodasGirl

09 Mar 2005, 04:53 #3

I have to agree. I'm DLing Quicktime now- because it does sound interesting, but I just don't think it fits. I can see Soda and Two-bit singing, maybe Steve if he was drunk, but it just doesn't seem to fit the mold.

Edit: Honestly, I'm less sold on it after watching the clip. I don't think they should have changed Dally into a girl, or made him the leader, or change the fact that Johnny killed the Soc. Having Soda be the one who murdered the Soc could make an interesting twist(maybe I'll do a FanFic, lol)but I don't think it should have been changed. And why was Cherry brunnette?? lol

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

09 Mar 2005, 22:35 #4

They made Dally a GIRL??? I'm sorry, but that's just wrong, and with a capital "W." There's no way that you could even get me to watch that.

Sodasgirl4ever
Posts 0
Sodasgirl4ever

09 Mar 2005, 22:46 #5

Oh my gosh! How could they do that!? Thats stupid! The Outsiders is a drama NOT a musical!! And changing Dally into a GIRL? WHAT!? Lol! Thats like an insult to me that they would do it! I mean, it's definatlly cool that they tried to do the play but, they totally like messed it up changing it into a musical and the Dally issue. lol. But, i guess theres not really anyting we can do. Stay Gold.

Sodasgirl4ever

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

10 Mar 2005, 21:41 #6

wow.. that "paul newman" song from the video clip.. yeah. I couldn't
handle that. I had to turn it off real quick.

OK forced myself to go back and skip that part.. I'm scared! One
school changed Dally to a girl named "Roxie" who is the leader of the
pack, and then the playwright says that SODA kills Bob. Alright, let's
just completely rearrange the characters, shall we? At least in the production notes he got it right.

My brother was in a play a long time ago where they changed a guy character to a girl.. but then, that was actually more of a "devil" character than a GUY! Plus, especially considering the time period, it's incredibly unlikely that a girl would have been the tough one.. the greaser chicks in my mind were an entirely different type of tough.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

10 Mar 2005, 21:52 #7

Yeah we might as well make Darry the youngest one in the group.

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

10 Mar 2005, 21:55 #8

Lesson Learned: The Outsiders should not be a musical, and cannot be done any better than it originally was.

This was just bad.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

11 Mar 2005, 00:50 #9

I just had to laugh when seeing the lyrics from the songbook, especially the Dally/Cherry one! "baby, i've got a little nest", I thought it'd be more appropriate line for Dally to sing, "baby, you know I'm the best" or something. But if this Darryl guy had been working on it since the 80s as you can see from the copyright on the songs, no wonder it's mega cheesy!
I love musicals and I love this book but... that ... I mean, the SUPERHEROES in the fantasy parade? the photo made me giggle so much.

It was a pity that the Paul Newman song lyrics weren't any better as I love Paul Newman, and musicals and The Outsiders but the lyrics weren't really very good? :blink: Well, it's an interesting idea!

I think it'd have been better if they used 50s songs or actual songs rather than making up their own songs. It just reminds me of the plot of "Get Over It" where Martin Short updates Shakespeare with his own songs?

Plus the whole holding microphones things makes me cringe, my high school used their budget and donations from parents and companies and got proper headset microphones which made it all so much more professional that carrying around clunky microphones, but I think they did well with the budget but the whole Cherry kissing Ponyboy on the cheek whilst holding hands in front of a sunset? umm.. <_<
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

strwberry2178
Posts 0
strwberry2178

12 Mar 2005, 01:30 #10

Yeah...I can't imagine having the characters in the movie singing....that would be crazy..what would they sing? lol.

babygurl33
Posts 0
babygurl33

12 Mar 2005, 03:50 #11

that was just wrong!!!!!!you were rite hayley they'd mite as well make darry the youngest!!!!! i mean that is nothing compared to changing dally into a girl named roxy!!!!!! wuts with that!?!?!?!?! and the songs were just plain dumb! i mean he's dallas winston not rickey martain!!!!!lol

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

13 Mar 2005, 03:46 #12

Wow! Now, that is interesting.... However, thanks for sharing that with us, Jenn. :blink: :)

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

18 Mar 2005, 10:17 #13

The musical is not me, I mean like Jamesdeanismygod, i can't believe Dally would be a GIRL!!!!!! No way no way. And ianyway, it wouldn't be right for them to sing!

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

18 Mar 2005, 13:45 #14

Did they even put Johnny in the story? I think it is stupid that they changed the plotline and made it Sodapop the one that killed the Soc. That would have to make it change from Ponyboy and Johnny running away after Darry hits him, how they reunite after the church burns down, and all that.

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

18 Mar 2005, 23:14 #15

Why are they even calling this play the outsiders? its nothing like the book. they are disgracing the wonderful plot and characters S.E Hinton invented. Dallas as a girl? :o are you kidding me? and what group of greasers would be led by a girl? I guess the type of greasers who sing! lol. and how do you remove Johnny from the play all together? he was one of the main characters. I mean hes the reason Dallas dies. the outsiders is a story about friendship, how can they show this if they take Johnny out?
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

20 Mar 2005, 14:54 #16

going through the info about the musical pdf, dont remember what it was titled, they briefly go over the story and its with Johnny - I trhink when he filmed the clip he accidentally said soda... but still. pay attention to what you're doing! T least he didny say bob killed johnny orsomething like that!
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

California
Posts 0
California

20 Mar 2005, 18:52 #17

I havent seen the clip yet but I agree with all of you. They shouldn't change Dallas into a girl.. And in that matter they shouldn't even have the characters sing. But I love plays and always wondered what it would be like to play one of the characters. So think of it as millions of fans from different high schools having that chance, Whether there a girl or a guy. I think its a great idea... Except for the song lyrics, you guys make them sound pretty bad. But like in Grease, Danny and his gang were tough, not as tough as Greasers, but they sang.

I feel like watching Grease now :)

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

20 Mar 2005, 22:20 #18

California @ Mar 20 2005, 12:52 PM wrote: But I love plays and always wondered what it would be like to play one of the characters.
A PLAY would have been fine. Not a musical, and a bad one at that.

Grease was thought up originally as a musical. It is not meant to be serious, just fun, and the whole idea was centered around it being a musical.

The Outsiders, however, was not. Having the characters break into song ruins the seriousness and the overall feeling of the entire story. The problems that the characters face no longer seem serious, but almost comical.

Just my opinion.

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

22 Mar 2005, 10:06 #19

I can agree, but toadd to that, if they do do the musical, then at least have the right characters stay the right gender :) and have the RIGHT events happen, it is crazy! have sodapop do the killing! absolutely crazy! and not have Johnny in the play, i was close to blowing when i read it! But what i really did scream at, was Dally being a girl. (Like i said before, he is one of my favorite characters!) :) <_<

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

23 Mar 2005, 05:47 #20

I agree about The Outsiders being a musical... I can definately see it being a play without songs. With it having songs, that will be interesting... I don't know how that would turn out... Haha...

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

24 Mar 2005, 05:03 #21

California @ Mar 20 2005, 01:52 PM wrote: But like in Grease, Danny and his gang were tough, not as tough as Greasers, but they sang.
And they had good songwriters too.. :P

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

25 Mar 2005, 18:39 #22

Yea, actually my 2 favorite musicals about gangs are Grease and West Side Story! Do you enjoy that? did you see it?

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

04 Apr 2005, 04:20 #23

Steve'sgirl4ever @ Mar 25 2005, 01:39 PM wrote: Yea, actually my 2 favorite musicals about gangs are Grease and West Side Story! Do you enjoy that? did you see it?
A little WSS goes a long way with me :P But I love the dance scenes

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

04 Apr 2005, 22:55 #24

yea me to. i cracked up when i saw it in 3rd grade.

xoKissesxo7
Posts 0
xoKissesxo7

11 Apr 2005, 15:35 #25

Oh my gosh...That was Horrible. No offense to the director~but why would anyone do that?! Ahh im about to cry! The whole thing was REALLY corny. Im not trying to be mean, but its the truth. The whole "pony and cherry watching the sunset"...the song was HORRIBLE. So was the paul newman. Ahh this is pissing me off. But something that can ALWAYS cheer me up is "About 144 days till the outsiders comes out!!" :D