The Outsiders As A Broadway Musical?

Announcements of performances, questions, thoughts, ect...anything related to a stage production of the story.

The Outsiders As A Broadway Musical?

booknerd5230
Posts 0
booknerd5230

07 Nov 2005, 23:26 #1

Hi everyone,

I recently read a post about adapting The Outsiders as a musical for Broadway. Young adult author and gay rights advocate Brent Hartinger was recently asked by his agent if he would be interested in writing the script for this musical. He seemed very excited and hopeful, and said that The Outsiders was his favorite YA novel. I don't know if anything will come of this, but I thought you might be interested.

You can check out more on Hartinger at www.brenthartinger.com.

Take care,

Caitlin

MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member
MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member

07 Nov 2005, 23:41 #2

I don't see how that would be good as a broadway musical. I mean, nothing in it is that, well, musical. It's like, you can sing "Stay Gold" and it'd be great, but other than that, there's not much to make a song into. I'd go see it if I could and if it's made, but I don't know how good it'd be.
[singing]
"Darry hit me!"
"Oh, no he didn't!"
"Yes he did!"
"No, he couldn't!"
"But he did!"
"Okay, I'll take your word for iiiiiiiitttt!"
Just kidding. LOL.
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.-The Fray "All at Once"

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

08 Nov 2005, 00:12 #3

If Grease can have singing greasers than I buy the outsiders as a musical. Im not really into plays so i dont really know but are musicals entirely singing? Isnt the song of music a musical? Its not ENTIRELY singing, theres dialogue too.
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

Jennifer
Posts 0
Jennifer

08 Nov 2005, 16:40 #4

I think its a awesome idea...kinda like grease thing. I love Broadway musicals and i think it can open the story up for ppl who dont like reading books or watching movies and perfer to go see a broadway show..i know i would go see it!

Jennifer
Posts 0
Jennifer

08 Nov 2005, 16:53 #5

Im not really into plays so i dont really know but are musicals entirely singing?

^^^^no its not all singing there is alot of speaking as well just they have a few songs here and there..

MrsJohnnyCake
Posts 0
MrsJohnnyCake

27 Nov 2005, 17:52 #6

Musical? Hmmm, never expected that. That would be awsome though, i'm going to new york whenever that comes out, if it does! :D

[ Johnnycake ]
Posts 0
[ Johnnycake ]

09 Jan 2006, 05:43 #7

Aw, it's all the way on the other side of the country!

That's okay. If it shoes, one way or another, I'll be able to drag my family all the way to Broadway. xD

I can't imagine it, though... sure, in the movie Grease there were singing greasers, but the movie wasn't as in-depth as The Outsiders, I don't think. I mean, they were singing doo-wop and about love and cars... hey, I just got a mental image of Steve singing and dancing to "Greased Lightning". Odd. But quite amusing. :)
I'm gonna try to make my own song. Let's see...

*sings*
"Soda, oh Soda, when did you shave?"
"When I was fifteen, yes fifteen, I was so brave!"
"What about Darry? When did he start?"
"When he was thirteen. Oh yes, he was smart!"

[ insert scene of Soda and Pony dancing ]

Both: "Rumble! Rumble! COOKIE CRUMBLE!"

... oooh-kay. Enough sugar for me. :D

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

17 Nov 2006, 02:50 #8

Although I can't really see the singing aspect of it, I think The Outsiders could have an excellant chance of being a Broadway play.
Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

17 Nov 2006, 09:30 #9

oh I just laughed my way through all that. I can't see it as a musical I can't even Imagine it as a play but I'd say it would be good. No a musical would'nt be a good Idea I just can't imagine Dallas Winston and Tim Sheppard singing. No It's not right. I Love musicals but The Outsiders as a musical I don't think it would work.
Then again it could surprise us all.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

17 Nov 2006, 18:17 #10

Hmm, i think a musical could either be excellent or go spectaularly wrong...

It would take a lot to make it work though but i woulndt be against it altogether.
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]