Stage Production In Ft. Worth Tx Area...

Announcements of performances, questions, thoughts, ect...anything related to a stage production of the story.

Stage Production In Ft. Worth Tx Area...

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

07 Mar 2005, 14:34 #1

Posted on Mon, Mar. 07, 2005

60 SECOND REVIEW

By Punch Shaw

Special to the Star-Telegram

Play captures novel's power

It's a familiar story: The popular, privileged kids don't get along with their counterparts from the wrong side of the tracks.

But in The Outsiders, the play adapted by Christopher Sergel from S.E. Hinton's novel, these teen-age rivalries turn deadly, and the story takes on a grander meaning. The play begins a three-day run Thursday at the Rose Marine Theater.

This co-production by Theatre Northwest and Teatro de la Rosa, seen for this review Sunday at the Tarrant County College Northwest Campus, does a fine job of capturing and delivering the power of Hinton's 1967 novel, which many know from Francis Ford Coppola's 1983 film adaptation.

While most of the student actors in the large cast could use some polish, the overall quality of the acting is better than would be expected. Leads Ross Neuenfeldt, as the awkward (but brainy) orphan Ponyboy, and Samantha Bianchini, as the high school beauty Cherry, who unwittingly serves as a catalyst for the other characters' violence, carry their loads especially well.

Director J. Brent Alford might have done a bit more with some of the other performances, but he does a superb job of driving the action forward. Joshua Tessier's staging of the play's fight scenes is also first-rate.

GRADE: A-

The Outsiders

• 7:30 p.m. Thursday- Saturday

• Rose Marine Theater, 1440 N. Main St., Fort Worth

• Tickets cost $10 for adults, $5 for students.

• Call (817) 624-8333, or go to www.rosemarine theater.com

Link to actual article: VIEW ARTICLE

Link to Website Page: Link to Theater Webpage
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

08 Mar 2005, 00:14 #2

Last year, my school did a play on it and they needed someone about my age to play a little kid who is actually kind of big in the play, and I got the part. I liked how they made it like a half fanfic but they stuck to the plotline and barely anything changed, one of the only changes is the fact that a ten year old is in it.

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

05 Apr 2005, 23:13 #3

My drama teacher said that if i write that story, and he likes it. That we might make a play out of it! :) :D

MrsJohnnyCake
Posts 0
MrsJohnnyCake

30 Dec 2005, 03:50 #4

I can't believe I missed this!!! I live in Austin. I could of gone to see it!

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

30 Dec 2005, 04:13 #5

I can't believe I missed this!!! I live in Austin. I could of gone to see it!
Same here!