So What Book(s) Are You Going To Read This Week?

September 26−October 3, 2009

"Banned Books Week (BBW) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. Held during the last week of September, Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States.

Intellectual freedom—the freedom to access information and express ideas, even if the information and ideas might be considered unorthodox or unpopular—provides the foundation for Banned Books Week. BBW stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints for all who wish to read and access them."

More info at the American Library Association's website: www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/bannedbooksweek/index.cfm

So What Book(s) Are You Going To Read This Week?

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

26 Sep 2009, 21:41 #1

So what will you be reading (or at least trying to find to read) this week? ( September 26−October 3, 2009 )

Let's get some discussion threads going this year! :18: :19:
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

04 Mar 2010, 01:43 #2

I've started reading S.E. Hinton's book "Taming the Star Runner". I was kinda startled to find the amount of language it had though, and that it reffered to grass. O.O
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

04 Mar 2010, 02:37 #3

You have to remember the time and place when this book was written. The late 60's and early 70's were a time of when marijuana was becoming a huge problem.
I once did an in depth study of the effects of drug use in the hippie reveolution of the late 60's, and truthfully, I found the information very scary.

I hope this helps.
Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

06 Mar 2010, 06:05 #4

I suppose so... But the book came out on 1989. And yeah, I have heard that the hippie era involved quite a bit of drug usage.

Anyway, I finished the book the day I got it. I don't quite understand... what was the meaning of the book? I mean, okay, so Travis has problems at home and stuff, and he loves writting, but there wasn't much about The Star Runner. Frankly, though the writting was good, I don't really see the point of this novel. Am I just blind/ignorant, or was there really nothing to this book? AT least The Outsiders had a splendid, touching moral. What about this one?
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel