Smoking

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Smoking

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

05 Sep 2005, 19:25 #1

In the 60's did they know smoking was unheathy cuz i remember one part of the one guy told ponyboy he was to young to smoke and he was confussed for that reason?

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

05 Sep 2005, 20:12 #2

I don't think they did because some women still drank and smoked during their pregancies, it wasn't until later on that health risks were acknowledged with these things.

I guess he just thought Ponyboy was too young to be smoking since it's a bad habit, and they probably would have known that smoking too much can lead to illnesses?
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

05 Sep 2005, 21:28 #3

oo..well, thanks..women drank and smoked when their pregant..wow?

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

05 Sep 2005, 21:35 #4

well i don't know if they did but the dangers that we know now simply weren't that well known then?

Katie's Rumble Fish site

mel
Posts 0
mel

07 Sep 2005, 20:30 #5

Well... Pony didn't really know any better did he?! I mean, no offence, but they wern't really brought up the best way -- sure they're good guys but Tulsa seems rough!

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

07 Sep 2005, 22:49 #6

mel @ Sep 7 2005, 02:30 PM wrote: Well... Pony didn't really know any better did he?! I mean, no offence, but they wern't really brought up the best way -- sure they're good guys but Tulsa seems rough!
i believe that to tusla is a very rough and predjuce place

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

09 Sep 2005, 19:15 #7

mel @ Sep 7 2005, 02:30 PM wrote: In the 60's did they know smoking was unheathy cuz i remember one part of the one guy told ponyboy he was to young to smoke and he was confussed for that reason?
Well if you're under 18 (I think its 18) in America you're not allowed to smoke. So thats what Jerry Wood (the guy who told him he was too young to smoke) probably meant. I don't think he meant health wise. I think the under 18 rule still applied in the 60's :unsure:

Ps. He mentioned in the book, everybody including girls (well the greasers minus Darry) smoked and started smoking from a young age. EG: Johnny when he was 9! Steve when he was 13.

KrissyCurtis
Supreme Member
KrissyCurtis
Supreme Member

09 Sep 2005, 20:04 #8

Steve when he was 11!
"Maybe I'm too young, to keep good love from going wrong, but tonight you're on my mind...so, you never know"- Jeff buckley

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

10 Sep 2005, 04:19 #9

KrissyCurtis @ Sep 9 2005, 02:04 PM wrote: Steve when he was 11!
Yeah and johnny when he was 9! now that is young.

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

10 Sep 2005, 11:03 #10

KrissyCurtis @ Sep 9 2005, 02:04 PM wrote: Steve when he was 11!
Oh, oops, lol.

13 must of been when Pony started smoking then.

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

13 Sep 2005, 02:55 #11

do you think if pony knew its an unhealthy habit would he quit? i think he would but thats my oppinion.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

13 Sep 2005, 12:20 #12

He really liked smoking and it calmed him and it was something to do so I don't think he would?

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

13 Sep 2005, 15:36 #13

Pitythebackseat @ Sep 13 2005, 06:20 AM wrote: He really liked smoking and it calmed him and it was something to do so I don't think he would?
Well in the book he was pretty addicted to cigarettes. I don't think he'd be able to quit.

Besides I think he knew it was sorta unhealthy, cause he knew Darry didn't smoke for the reason and when he couldn't run as fast in the end, he said something about cutting down on cigarettes. So, yeah, he knew about the health risks, but I don't think he knew it could cause severe damage... Or something. I'm rambling. I'll shut up now.

strwberry2178
Posts 0
strwberry2178

13 Sep 2005, 19:50 #14

yeah and a lot of people who know how bad smoking is won't quit, because they're addicted or it calms them down. so maybe he knew how bad it was but he just couldn't quit.

shiiireeen
Posts 0
shiiireeen

13 Sep 2005, 23:41 #15

well ponyboy seems like the person who would quit if he knew it was bad.. because he was kinda shocked when somebody told him he was to young

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

14 Sep 2005, 03:31 #16

but he was shocked as no-one had ever said that to him before since everyone he knew had been younger when they started!

Katie's Rumble Fish site

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

16 Sep 2005, 18:32 #17

im pretty sure they new the risks as dallas asks johnny for "a cancer stick". maybe they didnt realise how bad it was?
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

30 Jul 2008, 04:22 #18

Actually, the amount of people smoking tabacco has gone done in the years and I think people used to do it more back then but weed? I only ever heard of a few kids who smoked weed.
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

05 Dec 2008, 02:24 #19

More people back then did smoke. Socially, it was the thing to do. Too bad many of the people who smoked then, are reaping the unknown bad side effects of smoking.

I would have been in the minority because I don't smoke, and don't care anything about it.
Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

05 Dec 2008, 18:10 #20

I dunno do young people really think of the dangers of smoking. I know I didn't when I started. I was 13 when I started properly i.e inhaling. I was 10 the first time I put a cigarette in my mouth. I never thought that I could/would die from smoking.
I don't smoke now at all but at 13 I just thought smoking was cool. Silly I know.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

ponyBOYluver

02 Feb 2009, 23:23 #21

shiiireeen @ Sep 5 2005, 03:28 PM wrote: oo..well, thanks..women drank and smoked when their pregant..wow?
They had Commercials Encouraging people to smoke they'd be like
"smoking will make you cool"
now we know better
a question I have is
what would the Curtis house smell like if Ponyboy smoked so much?
same with Ponyboy I love Ponyboy but with how much her smokes
it would make me gag!!
That's how we do it in the
1960's

☼Stay gold☼

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

03 Feb 2009, 13:23 #22

You don't really notice the smell if you live in a house with somebody who smokes. My dad smoked since before I was born, and I never noticed any kind of smell in our house. In fact, I remember being really surprised when my 12th grade chemistry teacher was paging through my notebook and said, "You don't smoke, do you?" He said the notebook smelled like cigarette smoke, but I had no idea. It wasn't until I lived away from home during college that I started picking up on the cigarette smell when I'd go home.

The weird thing is, even now it doesn't seem all that noticeable when I visit my parents, but when I'm there for a few days and then get home and start working on the laundry from our visit, the smoke smell in the clothes is overwhelming. And my dad hardly ever smokes now, and when he does, it's in the basement. But the smell just penetrates everything in the house.

I can't believe I went through all of my school years smelling like that and not even realizing it, lol.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

04 Feb 2009, 12:21 #23

Nittanylizard @ Feb 3 2009, 08:23 AM wrote: You don't really notice the smell if you live in a house with somebody who smokes. My dad smoked since before I was born, and I never noticed any kind of smell in our house. In fact, I remember being really surprised when my 12th grade chemistry teacher was paging through my notebook and said, "You don't smoke, do you?" He said the notebook smelled like cigarette smoke, but I had no idea. It wasn't until I lived away from home during college that I started picking up on the cigarette smell when I'd go home.

The weird thing is, even now it doesn't seem all that noticeable when I visit my parents, but when I'm there for a few days and then get home and start working on the laundry from our visit, the smoke smell in the clothes is overwhelming. And my dad hardly ever smokes now, and when he does, it's in the basement. But the smell just penetrates everything in the house.

I can't believe I went through all of my school years smelling like that and not even realizing it, lol.
Yeah, exactly. My mom smokes and you really don't notice the smell. I never realized how bad my clothes smelled until I got sick a couple months ago and I had a really bad cough, and someone at work told me I needed to stop smoking. I was offended, because I'll admit that every once in a while I'll smoke, but maybe once every six months or so and I don't even finish the cigarette. Anyway I told her I didn't smoke and she was surprised, because my clothes smell like cigarette smoke. I also can't believe that I've gone through high school smelling like smoke.

She smoked while pregnant with me, all through my childhood and never tried to quit until a couple weeks ago when she fell down the steps and broke ribs. She was born in 1953, and was smoking before she graduated high school in 71, but back then smoking wasn't as serious as it is now. They didn't have surgeons general warning on every pack of cigarettes. If you watch shows like I Love Lucy, you can see them pull out the cigarettes without hesitation. My mom grew up raising tobacco and basically every time someone bought a pack of cigarettes it was helping their living. In fact, my mom forgot to take her cigarettes out of her pocket and my grandma was washing clothes and found them. She told my grandpa, who took the cigarettes to the barn where my mom was at and he said, "Your mom found these in your pocket. Want to have one together."
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

mrs.sodapop

29 Jun 2009, 03:29 #24

I guess not. I mean, come on, you used to be able to smoke on airplanes for hecks sake. And in the movie, Pony and Jerry Wood (oh yeah hes my idol lol) are smoking in the hospital.
1966/7 - Gold is invented.
1982/3 - Gold is made silver.
2004/5 - Gold is made pure silver.
2009- Stephalu becomes gold.

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

14 Jul 2009, 15:59 #25

I noticed the smoking and liked it. I mean, in the sixties smoking WAS considered unhealthy because it made you cough and I guess that's why Darry doesn't smoke and limits Pony to no more than one packet a day *grin*. And pregnant women DID smoke and drink and didn't think anything about it.
But on the other hand smoking DOES calm one's nerves now and then and I confess to not believing it's bad all through. I like smoking as a social activity, like the old natives used their calumets and I like the use Hinton makes of smoking in the book and Coppola in the movie. It symbolizes how grown up these kids have to be at a tender age and that sometimes - in Jonnys'S case - a cigarette is the only comfort, like the only bit of warmth he can get.