Scout?

Discussion, info, and questions pertaining to the 1990 short lived television series which aired on Fox TV channel.

Scout?

ponyboy is cute
Posts 0
ponyboy is cute

16 Aug 2005, 16:33 #1

i just want to know what some of your opinions are on them kind of replacing johnny with a young girl as ponyboy's best friend on the tv series.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

16 Aug 2005, 17:11 #2

if it was another boy, the comparisons would be too much to Johnny I think, so having a girl as his new friend sort of adds a different dynamic. Also we hadn't seen a girl hanging around with the greasers apart from socs so I think it'd be interesting to see.
He can sort of look after her and learn responsibility, the way Darry and Soda do as his own big brothers so it gives him more of an insight into Darry's way of thinking?
I don't know what Scout's character is like or what interactions they have but that's the impression I got just from her being a girl and Ponyboy's new friend.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

babygurl33
Posts 0
babygurl33

16 Aug 2005, 20:35 #3

its interesting...and i wanna see the series (sign the petition im #824) but i dont like the way everyone says "replaces Johnny" cuz i mean wen you lose ur best friend no1 can replace them..they will always be ur best friend..you may have another but they cant replace the one you had..im speaking from expirience..my best friend moved years ago and even tho i have new friends she can never be replaced and i still miss her alot. so you should be saying "Pony's new best friend is a girl" not "the person that replaces Johnny as Pony's best friend is a girl"

ponyboy is cute
Posts 0
ponyboy is cute

17 Aug 2005, 00:13 #4

well i only said "kind of replaces johnny" because that's what the official tv series site says about scout: "The show introduced the character of Scout, a young girl who replaces Johnny as Ponyboy's best friend." that's what they say on the site. and i was still wary to even write "replace" in this post. :mellow: i understand exactly what you mean though.

MrsJohnnyCake
Posts 0
MrsJohnnyCake

27 Nov 2005, 20:26 #5

Pony eventually looses his virginity to her, so I don't like her...And you are right babygurl33 because absolutley nobody could ever replace Johnny in Ponyboy's life. I really think that Scout was unessary and a complete slut. (I have some pretty strong feelings about the outsiders.)

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

27 Nov 2005, 20:55 #6

MrsJohnnyCake @ Nov 27 2005, 03:26 PM wrote: Pony eventually looses his virginity to her, so I don't like her...And you are right babygurl33 because absolutley nobody could ever replace Johnny in Ponyboy's life. I really think that Scout was unessary and a complete slut. (I have some pretty strong feelings about the outsiders.)
Where did you see that? I have the series and didn't see that... :unsure:
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

27 Nov 2005, 23:52 #7

MrsJohnnyCake, have you seen the show itself? I haven't but I'm pretty sure that Ponyboy doesn't lose his virginity to Scout (she's way younger than him), I think it was a camp counsellor or something similar Jenn described her as in the TV show topics.

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Skyline
Posts 0
Skyline

28 Nov 2005, 07:44 #8

Pitythebackseat @ Nov 27 2005, 05:52 PM wrote:MrsJohnnyCake, have you seen the show itself? I haven't but I'm pretty sure that Ponyboy doesn't lose his virginity to Scout (she's way younger than him), I think it was a camp counsellor or something similar Jenn described her as in the TV show topics.
Him, Darry and Buck (who is played by Billy Bob Thornton) go fishing and stay at this hotel out of town, and Ponyboy 'hooks up' with the chick who works at the hotel. I think she's meant to be about 18, so what she would want with a kid that age...?? I just find the whole thing kind of implausible, I mean it would have actually made more sense if it was Scout to a point.
But yeah, Scout and Pony are just freinds.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

28 Nov 2005, 08:51 #9

maybe she wanted to be the "Mrs Robinson" type, the older woman ;)

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

31 Jul 2008, 02:21 #10

I loved the idea and how they put her in it but she will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER replace Johnny! And I mean NEVER! They tried to make us think she would him but really I think, after you watch the movie and read the book, nothing replaces Johnny in our minds and hearts because Johnny Cade is Johnny Cade and Scout is Scout and they are too totally different people and Scout could never replace Johnny Cade! Not now, not in a million years! Never!
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

31 Jul 2008, 20:16 #11

She was only in I think four episodes so she really didn't replace Johnny per se. A couple of the episodes it kind of seemed like she could have been like a “replacement” but Ponyboy really seemed to “hang” out with everyone. :)
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

04 Jan 2010, 10:29 #12

babygurl33 @ Aug 16 2005, 02:35 PM wrote:its interesting...and i wanna see the series (sign the petition im #824) but i dont like the way everyone says "replaces Johnny" cuz i mean wen you lose ur best friend no1 can replace them..they will always be ur best friend..you may have another but they cant replace the one you had..im speaking from expirience..my best friend moved years ago and even tho i have new friends she can never be replaced and i still miss her alot. so you should be saying "Pony's new best friend is a girl" not "the person that replaces Johnny as Pony's best friend is a girl"
I totally agree. Best friends are forever, whether they are gone or not. You just cannot replace them. I know that feeling all too well, too. Johnny was very, very special. Scout.... well, I just found her pesky and annoying from the very second I saw her pop in on the YouTube screen. Come to think of it, they're all super irritating. Grrr.... Making that series was a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

08 Jan 2010, 01:12 #13

I agree! I only saw the intro episode online and I hated it. It seems like they really DO replace Johnny in the tv series, and that's HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I hate Scout! Aw I wish I never saw it; it was horrific. Somehow I managed to watch the first episode. But I am NOT going to watch the rest. I refuse.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

08 Jan 2010, 18:06 #14

No, Scout doesn't replace Johnny. Like Stella said, she was only in a few episodes.

I think with the series, the writers sort of disregarded some of the book so they could pull in some of the plot points and make them part of the series. They also made some alterations to some of the characters (i.e. Tim and Buck), I assume so they could have the main characters interact with them in a more buddy-buddy way.

The character of Soda, in my opinion, was completely slaughtered, lol. It's like they took the Soda from the book and did exactly the opposite for the series.

I did enjoy, however, seeing how some of the other guys played the parts, as there were some fantastic actors in the series. I thought Boyd played a great Darry, and I enjoyed Jay Ferguson's portrayal of Ponyboy enough that I bought on DVD two other TV series he was in, as well as a few of his movies, and made a website for him.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

08 Jan 2010, 18:30 #15

I know Soda was slaughtered in this show. LOL I also agree Scout did not replace Johnny that was the point of making her a girl and not another boy.

Ah the show was pure cheese but it was very very funny in an eye rolling kind of way and I'm sure there were limits at the time as to what excatly you could put on T.V unlike now where it seems that anything goes. In that show a lot of things were "applied" but not actually seen a bit like Beverly hills 90210 and 7th Heaven
Also it was always better in the next show, gotta love early 90's TV.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

08 Jan 2010, 21:15 #16

I know Johnny wasn't really replaced but it seemed like that for me....I only saw the first episode anyway. :) Couldn't really stand watching it.

But I really don't like the tv show. I wish they didn't make it in the first place. The book and the movie were both perfect; that was all that was necessary.

Sorry if anyone doesn't like my opinions and are offended by them! Sorry they're really only my frank opinions.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 15:12 #17

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 8 2010, 03:15 PM wrote: I know Johnny wasn't really replaced but it seemed like that for me....I only saw the first episode anyway. :) Couldn't really stand watching it.

But I really don't like the tv show. I wish they didn't make it in the first place. The book and the movie were both perfect; that was all that was necessary.

Sorry if anyone doesn't like my opinions and are offended by them! Sorry they're really only my frank opinions.
Naw, I'm totally with you on this. Series was a screw-up, book and movie were perfect.... I wish I never saw the episodes, too. :(

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:31 #18

Yeah I thought the series was horrible. It would have been better if they never made the series. I wanted to puke every 10 seconds while I was tryin' to watch it.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 09:13 #19

Yep. Makes me wish I could get a club and hunt down the fella who got the idea off makin' that series. :D

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

16 Jan 2010, 00:57 #20

LOL i know right?? The person who got the idea really didn't know how horrible it was going to be. They TOTALLY messed up the characters and the plot completely changed for the worse.