Sandy

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Sandy

babygurl33
Posts 0
babygurl33

13 Mar 2005, 23:42 #1

this is probably the one thing that i don't get in the outsiders. does Sandy leave cuz she has to or cuz she wants to? if you can answer this question pleeeeez respond.

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

14 Mar 2005, 00:13 #2

Hey,
I am not sure if this is the correct answer but what I think is she leaves because she wants to find herself, she wants to be normal, she doesn't want to live where all of those horrible memories are.

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

14 Mar 2005, 00:59 #3

Sandy left because she was pregnant. Up until the mid 70's or so, if an young woman came up pregnant and unmarried, they typically were sent 'away' to have the baby. In this case she was sent to Florida to live with a relative. Many times they were sent to Unwed Mother's Homes.

We covered this on the old board to; another interesting historical subject on how times and attitudes have changed dramatically.
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

14 Mar 2005, 02:17 #4

Yeah I meant because she was pregnant she went away to find herself :P But yeah, didn't they get sent away to some home if they were pregnant and unmarried? I know that in some places such as california they used to get sent if they were teenagers and pregnant.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

14 Mar 2005, 02:32 #5

they would definitely be sent away, so their family wouldn't be scandalised by a teenage pregnancy.. Jenn, they wouldn't have abortions would they? they would have given birth and given the baby up for adoption right?
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

14 Mar 2005, 03:52 #6

yes, and no. Abortions did happen, although they were not 'legalized'
until Rowe VS. Wade (early 70's forget exact year). There were plenty of doctors willing to perform the procedure for a very high price. And often they weren't even real doctors; just backstreet 'surgeons' who knew the basics of anatomy and reproduction cyles. It was very risky and many women died from having such procedures done prior to the legalization.

Yes on the birth and adoption. Very few unwed mothers kept their babies, especaily if they were teens or in their early 20s.

Unwed mothers homes were common place up till the mid 70s or so. There are still many across the nation, but they don't have the same priority as the Homes of the past did [ have the baby, give it up, and go home ]. Now they focus on the prenatal care of the baby, counceling and parenting classes for the mother, to prepare them for what's to come. Big change over the last 30 years or so.

So, there's your history lesson for today!!

Cya!

babygurl33
Posts 0
babygurl33

16 Mar 2005, 22:27 #7

ok thanx guys. and thanx 4 the history lesson Jen!! lol :)

California
Posts 0
California

20 Mar 2005, 19:24 #8

Thanks for that Jenn! That was confusing me too. Where in the book does it say shes pregent? Is it when Darry says "He told me he loved her, but, She didnt love him back, 'cause it wasn't him" or something like that?

SodasGirl
Posts 0
SodasGirl

20 Mar 2005, 22:53 #9

California @ Mar 20 2005, 02:24 PM wrote: Thanks for that Jenn! That was confusing me too. Where in the book does it say shes pregent? Is it when Darry says "He told me he loved her, but, She didnt love him back, 'cause it wasn't him" or something like that?
The book never straight out says "Sandy was pregnant." It's kind of things you need to piece together, her needing to go to Florida or marry Soda, saying that it 'wasn't Soda' and that she didn't love him as much as he thought he did... it's basically a bunch of clues you need to piece together.

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

11 Apr 2005, 23:39 #10

SodasGirl @ Mar 20 2005, 04:53 PM wrote: The book never straight out says "Sandy was pregnant." It's kind of things you need to piece together, her needing to go to Florida or marry Soda, saying that it 'wasn't Soda' and that she didn't love him as much as he thought he did... it's basically a bunch of clues you need to piece together.
Ah that makes sense! Because I went to this thing to help you read the book better and when I clicked on Sandy it said she was pregnant and had to go to Florida i was like, "What am I missing here?" Ok now it all makes perfect sense. That whole Sandy thing confused me. Aw poor Soda.

Anna
Posts 0
Anna

12 Apr 2005, 15:03 #11

Sodapop's_chick @ Apr 11 2005, 06:39 PM wrote: Aw poor Soda.
*nods* The Curtis boys can never get a break! :(

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

12 Apr 2005, 20:28 #12

I was talking to my teacher about it (who is a huge fan of the outsiders) and she said she didn't know if it was supposed to be Soda's kid or someone else's. I know on the online cliff notes it says someone else's, but I have found ones where it says it was Soda's

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

12 Apr 2005, 21:09 #13

it was not Soda's. There is a passage of quotes between Darry and Ponyboy in the last chapters of the book which state this. I don't have the book in front of me, but it's right before they chase Soda down and have thier little 'chat' about sticking together, ect ect...

So wherever you found that other information is incorrect.

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

12 Apr 2005, 22:25 #14

Jenn_K @ Apr 12 2005, 03:09 PM wrote: it was not Soda's. There is a passage of quotes between Darry and Ponyboy in the last chapters of the book which state this. I don't have the book in front of me, but it's right before they chase Soda down and have thier little 'chat' about sticking together, ect ect...

So wherever you found that other information is incorrect.
Ok thanks.

mel
Posts 0
mel

26 Apr 2005, 20:31 #15

Ah it makes sense. I was like thinking... where does it say she was pregnant?! Lol

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

26 Apr 2005, 20:59 #16

Yes, Sandy was pregnant

No, the baby was NOT Soda's.

The exact passage reads,as a conversation between Darry and Ponyboy:
"It's the letter he wrote Sandy," Darry said without expression. "Returned unopened.".........."When Sandy went to Florida...it wasn't Soda, Ponyboy. He told me he loved her, but I guess she didn't love him like he thought she did't him."
"You don't have to draw me a picture," I said.
"He wanted to marry her anyway, but she just left." Darry was looking at me with a puzzled expression.

The scene is when Soda has run out and Darry and Ponyboy are about to go after him. Stay Gold
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........