Question About Johnny

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Question About Johnny

strwberry2178
Posts 0
strwberry2178

25 Jan 2006, 03:53 #1

my roommate and I are watching this movie. And she read the book, and what she gathers from it is that Johnny cannot read and did not go to school. Now gratned we have both not read the book in awhile, is there anything in the book or movie that clearly would show you that he can read or went to school or anything. because when two-bit brings him the newspaper he says he can look at it later, not read it later, and he never read Gone with the Wind outloud with Ponyboy.

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

25 Jan 2006, 04:11 #2

I don't think he's totally illiterate, but he certainly has a difficult time when he /is/ in school. Ponyboy says he gets things if someone takes the time to explain things to him. And since he wrote the letter to Pony, we can gather that he can both read and write. Maybe he just likes being read aloud to. I know I do, lol. :P

Moyboy
Posts 0
Moyboy

25 Jan 2006, 04:37 #3

shadowedwolf @ Jan 24 2006, 10:11 PM wrote: I don't think he's totally illiterate, but he certainly has a difficult time when he /is/ in school. Ponyboy says he gets things if someone takes the time to explain things to him. And since he wrote the letter to Pony, we can gather that he can both read and write. Maybe he just likes being read aloud to. I know I do, lol. :P
Yeah, he was slow, but not exactly dumb. The book also said he liked to explore things once he got the idea and understood it. Another way it showed he was not totally dumb was what he said in the letter. He explained what the poem meant to Ponyboy very well even though he stopped going to school.

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

25 Jan 2006, 10:18 #4

I think he was like Mark in TWT in that sense. Mark preferred Bryon Reading to him because he got the story faster than when he tried to read himself
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

25 Jan 2006, 14:16 #5

i think he wanted ponyboy to read to him because hes faster and it says in the book johnny didnt know anything about the civil war or plantations.

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

25 Jan 2006, 19:22 #6

Like my brother he can read but if you read it to him he gets it more. If you struggle Reading then you can get fed up and frustrated when trying to read something, specially something like gone with wind. Its not the easiest and simpilist thing to read.
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

25 Jan 2006, 19:40 #7

Pony also says that Johnny failed a grade in school, so he definitely went to school.

Kelsey17
Posts 0
Kelsey17

25 Jan 2006, 21:52 #8

I don't know for sure if he can read, but he can write. In the book wen Pony was Reading the letter he said it was Johnnys handwriting.

bezoomny
Posts 0
bezoomny

25 Jan 2006, 22:06 #9

It says outright that he can read (In the book, it says he was reading Gone With The Wind on the back steps of the church when Dally showed up to check on him and Pony. ). He can't read as well as Pony, but he can definately read (illiteracy would have been really uncommon, as kids were/are compelled to go to school by federal law. plus the handicap that illiteracy would have caused would have been overwhelming.).

dally'sgirl
Posts 0
dally'sgirl

30 Mar 2006, 02:53 #10

I think he just prefured to be read too. i like it better if someone read me a book like Gone with the wind because i could see the pictures better. maybe he just liked to be able to think about things his own way while Pony Reading to him. maybe he just got it better.

Mrs.SodapopCurtis
Posts 0
Mrs.SodapopCurtis

31 Mar 2006, 00:21 #11

I think Johnny could read, but it was easier to have Ponyboy read to him since he knew nothing about the civil war and plantations. But I think he did go to school during the time of the book. It says he was put back a year, so that shows he had gone to school before, but it also said that his teachers thought he was plain dumb, so I think he had always gone to school.

Xenon21
Posts 0
Xenon21

06 May 2006, 23:39 #12

He might have had some sort of learning difficulty which meant that he would struggle with the Reading, and because he found it hard, he might be too disheartened to read often.

Ponyboy14
Posts 0
Ponyboy14

16 Oct 2006, 23:21 #13

Johnny did go to school because I remember it saying that teachers would keep try to make him learn stuff qucikly but his mind didn't work that fast and I'm pretty sure he dropped out. I think he can read just not well.

Dramalover

20 Feb 2009, 01:54 #14

Ponyboy14 @ Oct 16 2006, 05:21 PM wrote: Johnny did go to school because I remember it saying that teachers would keep try to make him learn stuff qucikly but his mind didn't work that fast and I'm pretty sure he dropped out. I think he can read just not well.
Hm......I don't think he dropped out, but I do think he can read. Like another person said, the book said Johnny was reading Gone With the Wind when Dally came.
You're gold when you're a kid, like green.-Johnny Cade, The Outsiders

mrs.sodapop

29 Jun 2009, 03:52 #15

I kinda forget, but didn't it say somewhere that Johnny took a while to learn stuff, his mind had to get used to it, but once he got it, he could find deeper meanings in stuff? Like when they were reading Gone With The Wind, I think.
1966/7 - Gold is invented.
1982/3 - Gold is made silver.
2004/5 - Gold is made pure silver.
2009- Stephalu becomes gold.

PB&C
Advanced Member
PB&C
Advanced Member

24 Jun 2011, 19:02 #16

If Johnny was in school, would he and Pony have been in the same grade since Johnny is sixteen and was held back a couple times, and Pony was 14 and put up a grade?
*~If you want to see something funny, it's a tough hood sticking his tongue out at his big brother~*

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

03 Jul 2011, 12:53 #17

PB&C @ Jun 24 2011, 02:02 PM wrote: If Johnny was in school, would he and Pony have been in the same grade since Johnny is sixteen and was held back a couple times, and Pony was 14 and put up a grade?
IRL would've depended on the school. I suppose so, but it's hard telling. It all would depend on the boys' ages when they actually started school (as in elementary school).

Good thoughtful question! :18:
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

PB&C
Advanced Member
PB&C
Advanced Member

03 Jul 2011, 15:59 #18

Jenn_K @ Jul 3 2011, 06:53 AM wrote: IRL would've depended on the school. I suppose so, but it's hard telling. It all would depend on the boys' ages when they actually started school (as in elementary school).

Good thoughtful question! :18:
Okay thanks! :)
One more question:
At the time of the book, did Johnny actually go to school, or just sometimes...?
*~If you want to see something funny, it's a tough hood sticking his tongue out at his big brother~*

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

06 Jul 2011, 22:25 #19

you know, I am not sure that question was ever really addressed in the book. I know that Ponyboy made a statement about Johnny being slow to grasp what was being taught.

since Johnny was still in the age group of compulsory school attendance, it would be my guess that he did attend school.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........