Outsiders...really?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Outsiders...really?

SAm
Posts 0
SAm

02 Jul 2007, 05:20 #1

Are the 'Greasers' really outsiders? I mean what is the definition of an outsider?
because if it is what i think it is, then Randy would be an Outsider to his 'gang'; and Cherry would also be an outsider.....
And all the Greasers would be insiders because, in the book in says that greasers would always be there for each other. And the book also says that, the Socs fight among them sleves so...wouldn't that make them outsiders?
Help please..... ;)

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

05 Jul 2007, 06:26 #2

A definition of an outsider:
- somebody who does not belong to or does not feel accepted by a group or society
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

mintxphoenix
Posts 0
mintxphoenix

23 Jan 2008, 02:08 #3

I think everyone's an outsider in some way or another.

Even though I'm half a year late.

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

23 Jan 2008, 18:49 #4

In my class, we discuss the fact that both the Socs and the greasers were outsiders in different ways...but in some ways they shared the same struggles of wanting to belong and feel acceptance and love.

One topic that always comes up when we discuss this is when I say that Johnny and Bob both had bad parents, but in different ways. Of course some of my students instantly disagree and say Johnny's parents were worse. After we discuss it they begin to understand that Bob's parents -- by letting him do whatever he wanted and not setting boundaries -- did him a different kind of damage than physical abuse...but he was still hurt like Johnny was hurt.

Bell's about to ring for my third period class to start! I'll stop rambling.

mintxphoenix
Posts 0
mintxphoenix

23 Jan 2008, 23:24 #5

englishteacher @ Jan 23 2008, 12:49 PM wrote: In my class, we discuss the fact that both the Socs and the greasers were outsiders in different ways...but in some ways they shared the same struggles of wanting to belong and feel acceptance and love.

One topic that always comes up when we discuss this is when I say that Johnny and Bob both had bad parents, but in different ways. Of course some of my students instantly disagree and say Johnny's parents were worse. After we discuss it they begin to understand that Bob's parents -- by letting him do whatever he wanted and not setting boundaries -- did him a different kind of damage than physical abuse...but he was still hurt like Johnny was hurt.

Bell's about to ring for my third period class to start! I'll stop rambling.
Are you my old teacher? LOL. We studied that exact same thing, I'm sure. I remember being really inspired by a question of 'who really is the outsider' or something like that... or maybe I wrote a story about it. But yeah, you should make the kids write an essay on it, if they like it enough it'll inspire them, because I think it's a really interesting topic.

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

24 Jan 2008, 03:21 #6

Mintphoenix, if you went to middle school in Houston, maybe I was your old teacher!! :)

mintxphoenix
Posts 0
mintxphoenix

08 Feb 2008, 17:39 #7

englishteacher @ Jan 23 2008, 09:21 PM wrote: Mintphoenix, if you went to middle school in Houston, maybe I was your old teacher!! :)
Ha, no, I wasn't! LOL. It would be cool though, like if my old teacher went on these forums and actually took an interest in the book. She didn't really. We didn't even read the end because she was bored, we used to read it in class. So she told us that if we wanted to read it to take it home. So I did. XD.

Johnny's Angel
Posts 0
Johnny's Angel

11 Jun 2008, 02:54 #8

mintxphoenix @ Jan 22 2008, 08:08 PM wrote: I think everyone's an outsider in some way or another.

Even though I'm half a year late.
I was just about to say this.

I think, to the Greasers, the Socs are the real outsiders 'cause they're different.
But to the Socs, the Greasers are the outsiders because... well, that's just the way they think. LOL They believe that all life should be like their's, and anybody whose isn't is an "outsider".

mrs.sodapop

29 Jun 2009, 03:46 #9

My answer:

Who are the real outsiders in the novel The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton? Ask most people and they will give you the obvious answer – the greasers. I believe, however, that the true outsiders are the Socs. They have to put on a tough front to be accepted by the other Socs and therefore they are losing a sense of who they really are and what they really feel. Socs are “…always behind a wall of aloofness, careful not to let their real selves show through.” (38) It’s almost like they are outside of their own bodies! Greasers are themselves and they truly show affection towards their buddies and friends. Greasers have to “…stick together, make like brothers…” (26) So, Socs are also outside to the real friendship and compassion that greasers have for each other. Greasers always leave their doors open in case a friend needs a place to stay or cool down. Darry once even found “…Tim Shepard, leader of the Shepard gang far from [Tim’s] own turf, reading the morning paper in [Darry’s] armchair.” (105) Socs would never consider doing this, they are too afraid of what the real personalities of their friends might be. I think that the real Outsiders are the Socs, who are outside to the true feelings of themselves and the people around them.

Ta-dah!!
1966/7 - Gold is invented.
1982/3 - Gold is made silver.
2004/5 - Gold is made pure silver.
2009- Stephalu becomes gold.

09 Sep 2009, 21:49 #10

englishteacher @ Jan 23 2008, 09:21 PM wrote: Mintphoenix, if you went to middle school in Houston, maybe I was your old teacher!! :)
what is ur name? i went to a middle school in Houston, TX!!!!!!!

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

09 Sep 2009, 23:49 #11

JCL16, the best thing you can do is to email her thru the website.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

12 Sep 2009, 23:11 #12

Of course the Greasers are not outsiders to the reader, for the whole book is written from their point of view. So they actually ARE the inside and the socs are the outsiders. We don't learn much about them, about their feelings and that's inevitable because Hinton chooses a first-person pov. Ponyboy just can't know what the socs feel and think.

Also, she wants the reader to identify with the Greasers and be on the inside with them and that's what we obediently are doing because she's a very good writer ;-).

But in real life things would probably not be as romantic and the Greasers would still be the outsiders who are given less chances, less jobs and less wages than others. I just started teaching a class of ten-years olds who belong to what I'd have to call lower classes of society. half of the kids have behaviour issues, some are under medication, none of them has a stable family. There are some Dallys and Johnnys among those kids and they are on the outside of society even if they try hard to create an atmosphere of being on the inside among themselves. I taught a class of twelve-years in junior-high (or the egrman equivalent,r eally) before the summer holidays and had a look at the other side. It was a class of socs, really, only one girl lived with a step-father and only one boy had behavior issues.

It's not that romantic, being an outsider, but Hinton's book is no less precious because of that. Books are not only made to show us what is but also to show us what should be and encourage us not to loose the feel for it.