Not Thrilled With New Dvd

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Not Thrilled With New Dvd

Outsiders_Girl
Posts 0
Outsiders_Girl

22 Sep 2005, 01:42 #1

I watched half of the DVD today and I was not thrilled with it. Yes, the deleted scenes are always better to have but I do not like how they added music to a lot of the old scenes. I think that it takes the seriousness out of the whole movie, and makes it seem like it's a recent day, action movie. I cut it off half way through... maybe I'll watch the rest later.

Anyone else feel as if it wasn't that great?

babyhilts
Posts 0
babyhilts

22 Sep 2005, 02:19 #2

I loved the new version, it was so much different than the older one. It felt almost like you were watchin an entirely different movie. However, the music i agree did take away from some of the scenes. I did enjoy the hipper version more than the one Coppolas father wrote but at certain places it was just too loud and took away from what the actors said a bit. It's hard to explain but the music took away a bit of it but also gave more in some areas. In all i enjoyed the new version much more than the older one but besides a few problems with the music i enjoyed it a LOT!!

ponyboys_sunset
Posts 0
ponyboys_sunset

22 Sep 2005, 06:47 #3

i really hate to say this but, i too was disappointed with the replacement and addition of the new music :( :angry:

i will echo what you both said that the new music did take away the dramatic, sad, warm-heartening feeling. the new music was also very distracting and annoying, especially that electric guitar :angry: i could hardly hear what the actors/actresses were saying :huh:

and why include such high profile music like Elvis? all i kept thinking was "Elvis," during the scenes.

imho, here are the scenes which were completely ruined from the new music. and/or to which they should have kept the ORIGINAL music scores:
- when johnny cries in the park with ponyboy after johnny isnt allowed back at home
- after derry hits pony and pony runs off
- after pony spits at the socs
- pony and johnny's train ride
- ponyboy and johnny at the sunset, they replaced the instrumental with an upbeat version of "stay gold"
- church scene (OMY GOSH, soooo disappointed)
- when the curtis brothers hug in the hospital
- cherry and pony talk at sunset
- rumble!
- after dallas robs the clerk

i cannot believe they removed the scene after the haircut when pony & johnny were looking at their reflections from the pond. :angry: i loved the original of that!

i was gonna pass on my 1st dvd edition to my cousin but i will keep it instead and view that on the repeat, rather than this new edition.

btw i bought 3 novels today of SE Hinton:
- the outsiders
- tex
- rumblefish

please pardon me for these post reactions. i truly am a deep fan of the original, always will be, but i felt like i watched something else, unfortunately.

i still am a devoted fan of The Outsiders, always will be forever.

MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member
MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member

22 Sep 2005, 17:02 #4

I was a little upset about it. I wanted more, even when I got it all. Ha! Well, I didn't like how they put Darry as a bad guy again. The original did what I wanted, and that was making him bad first, nice later. They only have a few scenes where he's a good brother(not that he didn't act like one, because we all know the truth about him). I wanted more with the scenes where Ponyboy faints and is so sick. I understand why they didn't focus on it as much, but I think they needed a little more so people could understand what was happening. I really liked the first scene where the whole gang is together(did anyone notice, that in the original, Darry and Johnny were never in a scene together?). I loved the part with the brothers where Soda runs out. It was by far the best of any of them(original or new). It was good all in all, and I think I'll like it even more when I watch it all through(I only watched the deleted scenes the first time). I too was a little upset about the new music. It really took away the drama in the film. Like they played rock and roll when Darry hits Pony! I didn't understand that at all. It was good music, just I don't think they were put in the right time. All in all, it was great. I shouldn't complain because I've wanted to see it for so long. It was excellent, but I still want more!
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.-The Fray "All at Once"

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

22 Sep 2005, 19:03 #5

MegakaPonysgal @ Sep 22 2005, 12:02 PM wrote: I was a little upset about it. I wanted more, even when I got it all. Ha! It was excellent, but I still want more!
Thats how i feel. I love all the bonus stuff we have but i still want more. I guess no matter what they added we will always want more. We just cant get enough of this movie!
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

22 Sep 2005, 20:12 #6

i havent seen the new dvd yet but now im not sure if i want to! Is it really that bad? :( i thought the old music was excellent why did they change it? :angry:
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

22 Sep 2005, 20:36 #7

The way I see it, there are positives and negatives to the new DVD.

Positives
-Deleted scenes added into the movie
-More deleted scenes on second disc
-Interviews with cast
-Interviews with director

Negatives
-Music was obnoxious in some places
-It didn't come out sooner

So baisically, (in my mind), the positives outweigh the negatives. I agree, sometimes the music took away from it (I don't think they thought about how the music would fit in certain scenes enough) but in other parts (when Soda is running after Darry and Pony are fighting) it is quite fitting, and actually good. And let's remember, now we have both versions, so if there's something you don't like in one, watch the other!

skitzo_basket_case
Posts 0
skitzo_basket_case

22 Sep 2005, 21:28 #8

Sometimes the new music got on my nerves but if you ask me, it was more true to the time period. In the 60's I don't think they listened to the type of stuff Coppola had created. In the book it says they listened to Elvis (and they didn't like the Beatles... <wow, something irrelevant to this post). The old music, made some parts to dramatic:

Like the part when the Socs are following Johnny and Pony in the car (as JOhnny and Pony were walking) shouldn't that scene alone be suspenseful?

The new music is more true to the time period, although I would have perferred for the Sunset to have been the original stuff, that was the only part that had the feel for it. The rest of the movie wasn't that type of stuff, it was more of an action-type of thing.

Ah, but those are just my opinions and everybody else can have their own...

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

22 Sep 2005, 22:18 #9

bovril @ Sep 22 2005, 03:12 PM wrote: i havent seen the new dvd yet but now im not sure if i want to! Is it really that bad? :( i thought the old music was excellent why did they change it? :angry:
It is worth buying. Im so glad they have included everything that they did. It is so great. Dont miss out on it. At the very least rent it and see for yourself if its wirth buying.
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

23 Sep 2005, 00:01 #10

skitzo_basket_case @ Sep 22 2005, 03:28 PM wrote: Sometimes the new music got on my nerves but if you ask me, it was more true to the time period. In the 60's I don't think they listened to the type of stuff Coppola had created. In the book it says they listened to Elvis (and they didn't like the Beatles... <wow, something irrelevant to this post). The old music, made some parts to dramatic:

Like the part when the Socs are following Johnny and Pony in the car (as JOhnny and Pony were walking) shouldn't that scene alone be suspenseful?

The new music is more true to the time period, although I would have perferred for the Sunset to have been the original stuff, that was the only part that had the feel for it. The rest of the movie wasn't that type of stuff, it was more of an action-type of thing.

Ah, but those are just my opinions and everybody else can have their own...
I think it's a fine line between including some of the music of the time period (which is important) and overdoing it. This is a movie. It needs to have a mix of music to create dramatic effects.

LadyDi4476
Posts 0
LadyDi4476

23 Sep 2005, 17:47 #11

I agree with everyone else here. I absolutely loved the new scenes and added footage, along with the commentaries and new opening and other extras. But yes I do hate the new music. It's a shame too cause the movie would have been perfect had the original soundtrack been left alone.

I've tried to like this new music but it's very hard. I've seen the movie with a particular sound for 20 years and it's difficult to accept these new tunes...it wouldn't be so bad if the music wasn't so annoying and didn't come at the more inappropriate times!

To me it has turned this deep and moving film into a fun upbeat adventurous movie and it's not supposed to be that way. This is a serious film...with serious subject matter. We have one kid who's getting beaten by his family, one kid gets murdered, one gets burned, and another shot and to me there is no point where surf music should be played! I get that Coppola feels that original music was too heavy handed at times and over powering, but he is trying to change the feel of it after so many years and it just doesn't work. This movie is not West Side Story, it's not a musical and should not have rock music being played during the rumble.

I agree with the post above about where the music is most annoying: definitely when Johnny is crying in the park, after Darry hits Pony, the train sequence, the entire burning of the church, Curtis brothers in the hospital, the rumble, and after Dallas robs the store. All of the scenes have been altered dramatically with this new score and I felt cheated and robbed after having viewed it.

I still love this movie to death and enjoy all these added features, but I cannot get over the new score. It's just such a disappointment to me. :angry:

Eva Destruction
Posts 0
Eva Destruction

03 Oct 2005, 23:10 #12

greaser_girl @ Sep 22 2005, 04:18 PM wrote: It is worth buying. Im so glad they have included everything that they did. It is so great. Dont miss out on it. At the very least rent it and see for yourself if its wirth buying.
If you're a fan of "The Outsiders" I really do believe it is worth it. I liked it and thought that the addition of the Elvis tunes was cool. The reason for doing that, was because FFC always thought that the score that his father had written was too "Gone With The Wind", too Hollywood for the movie. He thought that the music should reflect what the boys would have been listening to back then.

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

03 Oct 2005, 23:48 #13

And I agree....to some extent. While I agree there should be music from the time period, there needs to be dramatic music, too.

My basic thought is that if you haven't seen the movie before, see the original version, but if you have, and you are aching for more, go for the newer one.

teresa24
Posts 0
teresa24

04 Oct 2005, 14:15 #14

Outsiders_Girl @ Sep 21 2005, 07:42 PM wrote: I watched half of the DVD today and I was not thrilled with it. Yes, the deleted scenes are always better to have but I do not like how they added music to a lot of the old scenes. I think that it takes the seriousness out of the whole movie, and makes it seem like it's a recent day, action movie. I cut it off half way through... maybe I'll watch the rest later.

Anyone else feel as if it wasn't that great?
i too love all the new scences but the music totally screwed it up . it made it into a 60's beach music type movie. the music they played when the guys run was stupid, the train song, and cutting hair song, the old building when they went into the church was ridiculous. and it was too loud, many times it totally drowned out the talking. the movie went from a drama, heart wrencing movie to a musical to sell a cd. wish they had a version w/out the new music.

teresa24
Posts 0
teresa24

04 Oct 2005, 14:20 #15

Eva Destruction @ Oct 3 2005, 05:10 PM wrote: If you're a fan of "The Outsiders" I really do believe it is worth it. I liked it and thought that the addition of the Elvis tunes was cool. The reason for doing that, was because FFC always thought that the score that his father had written was too "Gone With The Wind", too Hollywood for the movie. He thought that the music should reflect what the boys would have been listening to back then.
the music they choose is fine, it was just over done, used where music wasn't needed, and took away from the drama of the scenes w/light-hearted music.
as for the gone w/the wind theme-well it makes sense seeing it is an important part of the story.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

04 Oct 2005, 15:44 #16

but they didn't do it to sell a cd since they're not making a soundtrack cd!
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

JEFFd
Advanced Member
JEFFd
Advanced Member

14 Oct 2005, 07:14 #17

The Elvis music I can def live with. The surf music seemed sooo out of place though for me. I wish they could have made and option on the DVD so you could pick what soundtrax you wanted playing in the background. I love the new scenes... but like the old score of the movie. Maybe if they had mixed the Elvis tunes with the original score would have been best for me!
"There's still lots of good in the world-Stay Gold"

johnny4ever
Posts 0
johnny4ever

24 Oct 2005, 21:52 #18

Like many of you I have seen the new edition of The Outsiders. I like the new scenes very much, but the new music is more than I can bear. While some of it is ok in places, most of it is inappropriate for the movie. I used to feel this powerful feeling, but the new music has taken that away. I wish they could release The Outsiders again, new scenes and all, but with the original music.
~Lisa~

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

15 Nov 2005, 19:19 #19

I absolutely LOVED the new version.....it makes them seem more ~Human~ does anyone know what i am saying?

Dramalover

28 Feb 2009, 15:41 #20

Okay, I don't own the DVD, but I watched it on youtube. I think the newer version is great! I don't really like the new soundtrack though. But, I'll live with it.
You're gold when you're a kid, like green.-Johnny Cade, The Outsiders

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

02 Jan 2010, 05:46 #21

Wow we got some tough critics here! I guess I'm alone in saying the music wasn't bad at all. I thought putting 60's music was great, and where the music was a little awkward I was surprised at first, but it made me think deeper....this probably makes no sense to anyone caring to read this...I'm not good at explaining what I'm thinking. But I liked it.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:37 #22

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 1 2010, 11:46 PM wrote: Wow we got some tough critics here! I guess I'm alone in saying the music wasn't bad at all. I thought putting 60's music was great, and where the music was a little awkward I was surprised at first, but it made me think deeper....this probably makes no sense to anyone caring to read this...I'm not good at explaining what I'm thinking. But I liked it.
Well, the music wasn't too bad, I agree, but I honestly hate the part where Johnny and Pony are stowing away in the train. They really, really messed up the music there. I like the earlier version's music for that part better. >=[
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 00:03 #23

That's true...... there are some flaws in the music part.... but most of the music was really good. :)
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 09:52 #24

Yeah, I guess... I'm plannin' on puttin' the original track for the train part in the newer version, though. The edited one just really picked my nerves.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2010, 00:16 #25

The added music didn't bother me at all. I love the extended version!
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;