More Violence/cussing?

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

More Violence/cussing?

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 00:26 #1

Lady in my class today mentioned that her 13 year old son's teacher sent home a note about planning to show The Outsiders in class, and was asking which version the parents wanted shown.

First off, I think the teacher should make a decision on which version, and then ask the parents to give permission to have their kids watch, but whatever.

The lady in my class was convinced that there is so much more cussing and violence in the extended version, and that's why it's pg-13 now instead of PG. Her opinion was "he's 13, PG-13 is too much for him, it needs to be the PG version." She wouldn't listen to me that there's really not that much more cussing or violence.

So, just seeing what your views are.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

twobitsgirl
Posts 0
twobitsgirl

10 May 2006, 01:15 #2

I don't think there's really any difference.It's basically the same.I mean when i watched it,it didn't bother me any and i'm 13 to.

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 01:15 #3

It's PG-13 now because there was no PG-13 rating when the movie first came out and it didn't qualify for an are rating at all. PG-13 was created in 1983 or 84 as a bridge between a PG movie and an are movie. The rating allowed kids under 13 to be admitted without a parent, but it cautioned about potential violence or language that may not be suitable for smaller kids (PG movies were routinely advertized as not appropriate for kids under 7).

I actually think there's only one cuss word in the entire movie (Dally to Johnny at the drive in). I also think most 13 year olds cuss more in daily life than the characters do in the entire movie. The violence is also not gratuitous at all, in either version.

The rating was likely bumped because Pony is jumped at the beginning of the movie, it's an addition of violence (although IMHO, minor). I basically think the bump to PG-13 was MPAA covering their butts.

If this lady would let her son see Titanic, Forrest Gump or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, then why not The Outsiders? (All of which are all rated PG-13).

strwberry2178
Posts 0
strwberry2178

10 May 2006, 02:03 #4

When we watched it back in 8th grade, we had a permission slip sent home to our parents to sign. All it said thought was that we were watching the outsiders, and it said the rating, and asked if it was okay for us to see it.

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 02:40 #5

marsonfire @ May 9 2006, 08:15 PM wrote: It's PG-13 now because there was no PG-13 rating when the movie first came out and it didn't qualify for an are rating at all. PG-13 was created in 1983 or 84 as a bridge between a PG movie and an are movie. The rating allowed kids under 13 to be admitted without a parent, but it cautioned about potential violence or language that may not be suitable for smaller kids (PG movies were routinely advertized as not appropriate for kids under 7).

I actually think there's only one cuss word in the entire movie (Dally to Johnny at the drive in). I also think most 13 year olds cuss more in daily life than the characters do in the entire movie. The violence is also not gratuitous at all, in either version.

The rating was likely bumped because Pony is jumped at the beginning of the movie, it's an addition of violence (although IMHO, minor). I basically think the bump to PG-13 was MPAA covering their butts.

If this lady would let her son see Titanic, Forrest Gump or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, then why not The Outsiders? (All of which are all rated PG-13).
That was pretty much my thinking.

As for those other movies, I doubt she lets him watch them, by the way she talked.

When I saw it in 7th grade, I don't even remember a permission slip being sent home!
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 02:48 #6

Plus don't forget, with a dvd sometimes they also have to bump up the rating in case there's any language or anything used by the actors in the behind the scenes thing. Don't think it applies here but I know it did apply for a few dvds where the rating of a film was a 12 but due to the documentary on the making of the film which used more adult language, they raised the whole rating of the film when released on dvd to a 15. The actual film was fine but due to the material that came with it, they had to give a higher rating.
But yeah, probably just covering their own butts.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 03:08 #7

Pitythebackseat @ May 9 2006, 09:48 PM wrote: Plus don't forget, with a dvd sometimes they also have to bump up the rating in case there's any language or anything used by the actors in the behind the scenes thing.
That's very interesting, I hadn't heard of that. I know of one movie where the director specifically put in the amount of language to keep younger audiences from watching the movie, because he knew they wouldn't "get" it.

bezoomny
Posts 0
bezoomny

10 May 2006, 05:35 #8

In my school we never had those warning sheets, they just showed us PG-13 movies. But like in Latin class when we watched Gladiator, we had to have a permission slip because we were in the 7th grade and it was rated R.

This arr/are business is really bothersome. Are these insta-corrections all that necessary?

Anna
Posts 0
Anna

10 May 2006, 12:12 #9

marsonfire @ May 9 2006, 08:15 PM wrote: I actually think there's only one cuss word in the entire movie (Dally to Johnny at the drive in). I also think most 13 year olds cuss more in daily life than the characters do in the entire movie. The violence is also not gratuitous at all, in either version.

I agree.
I also don't think "The Outsiders - PG13 version" and any other movie made today (still PG13) can be compared...movies these days are much worse when it comes down to violence/cussing/whatever.

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 13:25 #10

bezoomny @ May 10 2006, 12:35 AM wrote: ...This arr/are business is really bothersome. Are these insta-corrections all that necessary?
Bezoomy...yes, they are necessary- although I agree the 'R' one is annoying if you're trying to discuss film ratings.

I've taken that one off the list. Hopefully our 'netspeakers' here won't run away with the "What R you doin'?" type talk...

So, hopefully that will aid in this and future discussions of film ratings, ect where the single alpha 'R' is used.

Cya!
Jenn
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 13:34 #11

My thoughts...
I think it's stupid that if it is a public school that they even have to send home the note.
The parents (if they're tuned in at all) should know what the kids are Reading in their class if it's required Reading because there would be homework, ect on it. It's pretty much common sense that if there is a film from a book that it will be shown after the Reading projects are completed or somewhere therein that time frame.

The school Reading lists are well thought out as far as age-range and 'average' maturity to handle / comprehend the material. So why is all the C.Y.A. needed anyway??? Makes no sense to me.

I have a step-sister who is just completely anal about what she lets my neice watch. The girl is 15 years old and sees every Harry Potter, LOTR, and similar films that come along, as well as being at a 12th grade Reading level- yet she won't let her watch your average, mindlessly entertaining films such as Legally Blonde and other 'teen' movies because of their 'content'. We've had a couple go-rounds about this because my step-daughters watch pretty much whatever within reason. Now don't get me wrong, the 12 year old isn't watching our "American Pie" dvds, but I do think we let the older one watch the television version when she was around 14.

Heck, they hear / see / pick up worse stuff in school every day.

I did draw the line at the movie "Thirteen" with my 12 yr. old SD as I felt it was just too reflective of every sort of behavior we were worried she might take up in middle school (long story there).

So anyway, long way around, but I think the whole "Oh I'm not letting them see that!" arguement after they've already read the book is just downright stupid.

Of course this coming from someone who literally read / watched whatever she wanted whenever she wanted growing up. My folks were the other extreme...didn't care at all as long as we were out of their way. So take my thoughts I guess with a grain of salt.

Just my Two Cents Icon
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 17:12 #12

It's funny, I never watched anything above PG-13 until i was....probably 19 or 20 LOL. It wasn't because of my parents either. I had this total fear of seeing blood and gore in the movies - I couldn't watch any horror movies or anything (saw Jaws and that did it for me LOL).

The ironic thing was I had *no problem* watching those real life surgery shows LOL. I think I had a lot of that "will this be appropriate for me?" in my head and I censored what I watched myself. I was the same with books. I read young adult novels (Sweet Valley high and friends...barf LOL) until I was well into my 20s because I thought "adult" books would either be boring or the subject matter would be too adult for me. It wasn't.)

My big issue is that the ratings aren't applied right. They look at some really stupid things, like counting how many times swear words are said, rather than looking at the overall themes of the movies. Is hearing someone swear worse for a kid than seeing someone killed violently in a movie? I can't believe that...yet I bet a movie with lots of swearing and little violence would get a higher rating than one with no swearing and some violence.

Wikipedia has a great article on MPAA ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG-13

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

10 May 2006, 18:30 #13

We have to get premission to watch certain films too (scream and saving private ryan), not that my mom minds. You just have to be careful. In the complete novel special features you hear someone swear once and its in the background to, but maybe they picked up on that ?
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

10 May 2006, 18:44 #14

We were never given permission slip, even when I was ten. We were shown movies with major nudity, sex, swearing etc.. LOL. Maybe, the teachers didn't care.

stephanie_gunsandroses16
Posts 0
stephanie_gunsandroses16

10 May 2006, 19:36 #15

Sadly, I was given a permission slip when I watched it in 8th grade...in high school all's we have to do for PG-13 is get it approved by administration...we can't watch R's because " too innapropraite for all high schoolers "...WHAt-the-F-ever...I think over 3/4 of my school OWNS an R...believe you me, i own PLENTY
when we watched Gladiator, we had to have a permission slip because we were in the 7th grade and it was rated R
YOU WERE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FRECKEN LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!...I am dying to watch Gladiator in school...any class..ohh but NOOOOO, it's an R and too much blood and guts and the kids will get scared...NO, only kiddies and mamma's children will-sorry, but it's true. Spend a couple of years in my school and you will agree

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

30 Jun 2007, 04:05 #16

Oh dear god, some parents are so prtective. My elective teacher lets us watch PG-13 all the time. [what else is there to do i elective :P ] and she never once said anything to the parents. I told my mom what we watched and she said, O thats good, yoru doing omshting fun.

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

30 Jun 2007, 10:24 #17

That's so funny. It wouldn't be a problem in any of house holds seeing as most of us have the the complete novel our kids could watch it at home. LOL
I don't think they should home notes the 2nd dvd is better and holds more information. A friend of mine never read the book and when we watched the orginal on TV together I spent a lot of time explaining to her what was going on. it usual started with ...well what you don't see here is....or earlier on in the book this happened and that's why e.c.t.
When I was in secondray school coming up to Christmas we'd just watch DVDs, any DVDS. People would bring them in and the teachers would leave us to it..
The Outsiders was not on our reading list...ever. It's not that popular here. :(
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

xXMakesMeWonderXx
Posts 0
xXMakesMeWonderXx

10 Jul 2007, 17:47 #18

I have never had to get any permission slips signed for anything I watched or read. But there were some kids in my class that weren't mature enough to watch "The Outsiders".

#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member
#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member

11 Jul 2007, 07:36 #19

We watched the original Romeo and juliet last year, it had some nudity in it. A few of the boys in out class made comments, but not as many as I thought would. anyway we didn't have to have a permission note. Never have had one.
When I read The Outsiders in school the teacher told us we only got to watch it because the greasers grew up cussing and it had to be in the movie. Personaly i think it needed more cussing, Pony says they swore alot.
"Man that was a tuff car, mustangs are tuff"

~Summer Nicole~

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

12 Jul 2007, 03:45 #20

Some schools have a policy regarding this matter. Believe it or not, we're not supposed to show anything other than a G-rated film without parental permission! It goes back to a stupid teacher several years ago showing the horror movie "Leprechaun" in class (why, I have no idea), and of course, that caused a lot of drama.

I had my students take home a permission slip, so they could watch the movie in class. Only two or three parents out of about 145 kids said, "No." I think the film is a very mild PG-13!

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

25 Aug 2008, 22:29 #21

I'm 11 and I'll probably watch the movie in class 2 years from now, so I don't have any say in this at the moment.
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

Dramalover

22 Feb 2009, 15:35 #22

Wow....the Complete Novel isn't even that bad, and neither is the original. We watched the original in class last year,and a few months ago I watched the Complete Novel on youtube. The Complete Novel isn't really different from the original in the swearing part at least. About two months ago, we were learning about volcanoes in science class. We then watched Dante's Peak in class, and that's PG-13. In my school, we don't get permission slips. They just show us the movie and we watch it.
You're gold when you're a kid, like green.-Johnny Cade, The Outsiders

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

02 Jan 2010, 05:30 #23

Yea I didnt need to give a permission slip or anything. And I saw it only a month ago. Personally I think it didnt have enough cussing!
My gosh some parents have to stop being so protective. We see that kind of stuff in school ALL THE TIME.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 09:59 #24

I didn't need a permission slip either. We watched the older version, though. I have to agree, there is a bit more cussing in the extended version.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 22:46 #25

I am DYING to see the original, but there's no way I can! My parents wouldn't let me buy it or rent it or anythin', and I'm not allowed to watch youtube. :( My parents are very protective.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders