Lesson Ideas?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Lesson Ideas?

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

26 Mar 2006, 18:14 #1

Hello. I am an enormous fan of S.E. Hinton's first book (I read it a million times when I was a student), and I now have the honor to teach it to my 7th graders. Life really does come full circle. This website is fascinating!

This question goes to all the students who post on these boards (and any lurking teachers). Did any of your teachers create any particularly interesting or fun activities to go along with the Reading of the novel? There are some great lesson plan books out there developed specifically for The Outsiders, but I'm looking for all the ideas I can find.

Thank you.

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

26 Mar 2006, 18:55 #2

Welcome to the board!!!
It's always great when educators such as yourself stop by. One of the main reasons we do our very best to maintain the high standard we have here (re: topics and replies).

I look forward to seeing what responses you get to your inquiry and will try to keep it bumped to the top. Topics can get lost pretty fast in the constant shuffle!

Glad you enjoy the website. If there's anything you think would benefit it (added info / images, ect) just let me know.

So, members....bring on the lesson plans!! ChatTime

Cya,
Jenn
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

26 Mar 2006, 19:13 #3

Thank you JennK.

I should have mentioned that I am open to all ideas, but I am really looking for hands on activities and end-of-book project ideas. I'd like to try having my students write "what happened next" as well as rewrite scenes from another character's point of view. There is also a project I've heard about (can work with many YA books) where a student can create a mix CD based on the book. The student writes a short paragraph explaining why each song s/he has selected is thematically connected to the book. Then they design cover art...heard this is very popular.

Any and all activities welcome!

Moyboy
Posts 0
Moyboy

26 Mar 2006, 20:12 #4

Hi, englishteacher! It's fun to meet new people on board! :D

Since im a student myself i can answer your question. I'm in 8th and I read the Outsiders this year in with my core class for English. I really love, enjoy and appreciate this book alot. What my core teacher, Mrs. Irwin, did for a project was making new titles for each chapter since all of them were labeled in numbers. Along with the new title name, we had to draw a picture or use a computer generated image. What i did for my project was put all of my titles and pics on a big foam board. My board was about 2-and-a-half by 1-and-a-half feet. I set it up to look up like a table of contents. Below where some of my titles i came up with:

Chap. 1 -My Life on the East Side
Chap. 2. -Pick-ups at the Nightly Double
Chap. 3. -Differences and Boling Anger
Chap. 4. -The Killer Runawys
edit:
Chap. 5 -Windrixville Hideout
Chap. 6 -Dangerous Alternitives
Chap. 7 - Extra, Extra!
Chap. 8 -Johnny's Pain
Chap. 9 -Victory and a Defeat
Chap. 10 -Dally's Breaking Point
Chap. 11 - unexpected Visitor
Chap. 12 - Life Changes Equals a Theme

I hope this helps you with some ideas! :)

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

26 Mar 2006, 23:18 #5

I can only remember one assignment I had to do when I read The Outsiders:
-Wrtie a personal response to the incidents of the book as if you were a student at Ponyboy's school

Ill try to think of more but it was 7 years ago.
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

26 Mar 2006, 23:57 #6

The one I loved was our video project --

We had to think of a scene that should've been in the book, or could've been beneficial. Then we wrote the script and filmed a 5-minute long video. Our group, I believe, did one where Soda asked Sandy to marry him.

The second, that I really liked, was character drawings --

We had to draw a picture of one of the characters by their descriptions in chapter 1, and add quotes about their appearance or personalities. The results were amusing pictures of all the characters. I now look at the the 8th grade class who's learning it, and look fondly at their character drawings.

One particularly good example, Ponyboy: Here

And another, Dallas: Here

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

27 Mar 2006, 00:08 #7

oooh hurrah! Our English teacher gave us a project to do where we had to rewrite the events of the book through another character's point of view, so I wrote mine from Johnny's point of view.
I think it would be interesting to get a broader mix of characters if you want to inspire their creative ideas like from Darry's, Dally's, Two-Bit's, heck even Steve's!
We used to read through the book chapter by chapter in class, having different people Reading different parts out loud, or Reading it ourselves. We watched the film at the end of working on the book.
We talked about roles in society, to do with class and also about S.E Hinton being a woman, why she would use her initials to write a story using male characters, things like that, to do with gender and writing from very different characters viewpoints (to the author).
You're lucky as you have the special edition at your disposal now!
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

27 Mar 2006, 01:09 #8

Thanks for these ideas! I like the video idea a lot...all of them were helpful. If you can think of or remember anymore, please post.

What thrills me the most as a teacher is watching the faces of my kids as they get so into the novel (just like I did!). We're only in the middle of chapter 2, but they don't want to stop Reading when the bell rings. Hinton truly wrote a powerful story. It especially appeals to kids you wouldn't classify as "readers" -- and those are the ones we need to reach.

I have a question about the new DVD version. I haven't seen it yet. The original is available for viewing in our school, but I'm wondering if there is anything in the newly replaced deleted scenes that would be a problem for seventh graders. Anything questionable? I want to know before I buy it (although I might buy it for me even if I don't show it to the kids!).

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

27 Mar 2006, 01:21 #9

englishteacher @ Mar 26 2006, 07:09 PM wrote: Thanks for these ideas!  I like the video idea a lot...all of them were helpful.  If you can think of or remember anymore, please post.

What thrills me the most as a teacher is watching the faces of my kids as they get so into the novel (just like I did!).  We're only in the middle of chapter 2, but they don't want to stop Reading when the bell rings.  Hinton truly wrote a powerful story.  It especially appeals to kids you wouldn't classify as "readers" -- and those are the ones we need to reach.

I have a question about the new DVD version.  I haven't seen it yet.  The original is available for viewing in our school, but I'm wondering if there is anything in the newly replaced deleted scenes that would be a problem for seventh graders.  Anything questionable?  I want to know before I buy it (although I might buy it for me even if I don't show it to the kids!).
Nothing's questionable -- it just got the PG-13 rating for the stuff that was originally in it, as PG-13 wasn't available when it came out.

I remember, after Bob died, I finished the book in a day. Even underacheivers loved it.

badcat390
Advanced Member
badcat390
Advanced Member

27 Mar 2006, 01:59 #10

There's a story I read on Fanfiction .net that was written in the style of "It's a Wonderful Life". Basically, Dallas gets to see what all the other characters' lives would have been like had they never met him. That might be an interesting writing assignment and could be done from any one of the characters' perspectives. Your students are very lucky... Back when I was assigned to read The Outsiders, I was ready and eager to tackle any assignment the teacher gave us. We didn't get one. YEARS later, I still feel cheated! Ha ha! Good luck with your lessons!

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

27 Mar 2006, 02:13 #11

I have gone to local schools where I live and given presentations on the book and movie. Jenn and I devised a little brochure to give out to the kids, and the presentations were done in the computer lab, so the kids could cruise the website as I talked about various things. I took a poster of little pictures collected from magazines, movie stills (laminated) so the kids could pass them around and look at them. I own several pieces of wardrobe from the movie that I display, and at the end of the presentation, I have a little fun quiz the kids can fill out, using the website, and they turn them back into me. Not for a grade, but its fun to see how the kids feel about the movie and what their reactions are.
I know not all the kids are interested in the movie, but the majority are. Actually seeing the movie props gives them a real hands on idea about the reality of the movie. I usually don't get the " PonyBoy is so hot" crap, but the kids DO always seem suprised that the actors are grownups now.
Maybe this helps.
Stay Gold, Karen :)
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

dally'sgirl
Posts 0
dally'sgirl

27 Mar 2006, 04:57 #12

THE FIRST TIME I RWAD THE OUTSIDERS WAS IN GRADE 8. OUR TEACHER READ IT TO US AND ASSIGNED EACH GROUP A CHARATURE THAT THEY HAD TO FOLLOW. WHEN SHE WOULD READ THE BOOK WE WERE TO WRITE JOURNAL ENTRIES ON HOW THE CHARATURE MUST HAVE FELT AND SO ON. KINDA LIKE A CHARATURE SCETCH IN A WAY. IF IT HELPS I'M GLAD.

Mrs.SodapopCurtis
Posts 0
Mrs.SodapopCurtis

28 Mar 2006, 03:04 #13

englishteacher,
I hope I am somewhat helpful, as I am a seventh grade student and we just finished our unit on The Outsiders. Throughout the unit, it was just pretty basic stuff though, like responses or these literary circle things. I can tell you what literary circles are, but only if you want me too. They are also pretty basic stuff like drawing a scene from the chapters and other stuff like that. Shadowedwolf: We also did those video projects. Even though it was mildly described in the book, we did a typical day for Ponyboy after the hearing. Another interesting thing our teacher did was make us make a solo project where we had to make a HUGE project display on The Outsiders, and we spent two days giving our presentations. Some ideas of what some students did were these:
1. Present their groups video (only one student from the group could do this.)
2. Make silde-shows to show what they've learned.
3. Bring chocolate cake and chocolate milk for everyone in the class.
4. Explain the basic stuff they learned (this had to be in the presentation).
5. Ask questions to the class and give out small prizes for the people who answer correctly.
There are of course other things too. If you want anyother ideas for this type of a project, just let me know and I'll give you some more examples.
I hope this helped, and I'm sorry I could give you any more ideas. Almost everything we did was pretty typical.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

28 Mar 2006, 14:01 #14

Aw man, I wish we could have had chocolate cake and milk in class! Yum!
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

30 Mar 2006, 03:52 #15

Thank you so much for all these ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

One thing I am going to try with my students next week is having them rewrite a scene from a different character's point of view. One scene I think they might really like rewriting is the fountain scene from Johnny's POV. Because we read the book from Ponyboy's perspective (and he, obviously, isn't aware during the stabbing), I think this would be an ideal scene to rewrite from Johnny's point of view.

Mrs. Sodapop Curtis, I do know what literary circles are and I might try them with this book. Thank you! :-)

I viewed the new DVD (complete novel) last night. It was the first time I had seen the movie in over 10 years. I must admit I got quite nostalgic. I loved the new cut, and I think it is a better representation of the book. I know there has been some controversy over the new score, but personally I think it's an improvement over the the original. I think the kids will definitely enjoy watching this.

Again, thank you for your responses!

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

27 Apr 2006, 21:56 #16

Here is a list of the projects my students can choose from...I meant to post it a while ago, but I forgot.

By the way, my students really enjoyed "The Complete Novel." I have given them this website as well as www.sehinton.com so they can get more information on the book and movie.

The Outsiders Final Project

This project will count for TWO essay grades, so you should take it seriously! You will be graded on creativity, effort, how closely the project represents the book’s themes, and presentation.

Please pick one of the following projects. If you are interested in developing your own project, please come talk to me about it. Your idea must address the book’s themes and show evidence of higher level thinking. It may not be a simple representation (like a poster) unless you are really showing me evidence of creativity and thought.

***The CD Project***

Pick seven to 10 songs (more if you would like) and write one to two paragraphs for each song. The songs should reflect themes from the book and can come from any era or genre. You must also create cover art for the CD and turn in lyrics for each song. This project should be presented in a book format (a page of lyrics followed by a page explaining why you have selected this song). You do not have to create the actual CD unless you would like to.

***The What Happened Next Project***
Write Chapter 13 of “The Outsiders” from Ponyboy’s point of view. You may pick how far in the future the chapter takes place. You should stay true to the characters’ personalities as represented in the novel, but it’s up to you where the story goes! Length should be at least four written pages (front page only) or two single-spaced typed pages, but it can be longer!

***The Rewrite Project***

Rewrite at least one chapter (or more!) from another character’s point of view. Length should be at least four written pages (front page only) or two single-spaced typed pages, but it can be longer!

***The Personal Essay Project***
This essay can be either about a time you yourself felt like an outsider, or it may be an essay about why you liked or didn’t like the novel. Length should be at least four written pages (front page only) or two single-spaced typed pages, but it can be longer! If you choose to write about liking or disliking the novel, you must give examples from the book and truly explain your response.

***The Movie Project***

You may create a cinematic representation of the novel in some way. This should not just be recreating a scene from the movie but should be some kind of project that reflects on the themes of the novel and uses your creativity.

strwberry2178
Posts 0
strwberry2178

28 Apr 2006, 15:08 #17

They seem like some really interesting projects. I was wondering if you could maybe post some of the projects you got, well not really post them, but maybe if a student did the CD one, if you wouldn't mind posting a few of the songs you got that were really interesting, as well as why the student chose that song. Or maybe if someone did the what happens next one, you could type like a sentence or 2 about what a student had said would happen next. Thanks!

Rusty James
Supreme Member
Rusty James
Supreme Member

29 Apr 2006, 10:57 #18

This is actually a project I did last year after we read the book. It was really fun, we had to make a board game based on the book. It could be played any way that you wanted and the board's setting could be anywhere you wanted. I chose to make the board the whole city of Tulsa. Also, we made up the rules for our board games. This was an individual project which was really fun. :)
Let's do it for Johnny, man. We'll do it for Johnny!- Matt Dillon

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

09 Jul 2006, 03:46 #19

In line with the character study idea, you could have the students do a bio-poem. I know it's late for the school year, but you could use these ideas for next year, also.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

25 Aug 2006, 15:57 #20

i remember that i read mine in the 7th grade. i attended Stafford Middle School. that is how i began loving the outsiders...if it wasnt for my 7th grade english teacher, mrs.Dennis, i wouldnt have ever heard of The Outsiders

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

13 May 2007, 22:28 #21

how bout asking your students how they can relate to the book, or maybe say how they would have handled some of the challenges ponyboy came to face. Im a middle school student myself, so I have thought about heose questions.

mintxphoenix
Posts 0
mintxphoenix

23 Jan 2008, 02:02 #22

We did the what happens next one I think.

It was about four years ago thouhg so I can't be sure, or maybe three, whatever. We also wrote a scene, I think the scene where Johnny kills the soc, from a different point of view.

It was really lame when I studied the book, my teacher really sucked. She just couldn't be bothered and it's a shame because it's such a good book, we could have done loads with it. We did storyboards I think too, which in my opinion are the worst ever.

johnnycake_25

04 Aug 2009, 19:16 #23

when i was in 7th grade, my english teacher made us make a journal.we wrote one journal entry for each chapter.

on the left side, we would write three passages from the book. for example,

page 137
if you want to see somkething funny, it's a tough hood sticking his tongue out at his big brother

then on the right side she made us right a response. (we could write about how we felt about this part of the book, what we would've done if in thier place, stuff like that).

also, after we finished the book, my english teacher made us do a collage. she said make two collages: one for you, and one for the character you are most like. then find ten simalarities between yyou two. i chose johnny, and some of my similarities were im quiet and i have black hair. 10 similarities had to be labled on your collages. it was super doooper fun. i still have mine!

i hope that helped!
☼stay gold☼
"Man,that was a tuff car.Mustangs..they're tuff."

johnnycake_25

04 Aug 2009, 19:22 #24

oh yea, and my english teacher also made us do a theme or whatever.

(you know, the paper that ponyboy writes at the end? he writes about everything that has happened to him)

we had to write about how the book impacted us and then write an story of something that has happened to us (or if nothing happened that changed your life, then you could make it up.)
☼stay gold☼
"Man,that was a tuff car.Mustangs..they're tuff."