Johnny Cade's Nationality...

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Johnny Cade's Nationality...

24 Jul 2008, 02:27 #1

Hey!

(I'm worried that this might be considered a stupid question but...)

I've been wondering about this for a while:

...Because of his tan complexion, where do you guys think Johnny's from...?

Any ideas...?

Thanks.
....Ah, how I love teen angst... <3... lol

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

24 Jul 2008, 08:29 #2

America, he just had sallow skin. Skin that tans easier and is darker all year around.
Not a stupid question I don't believe there is any such thing as a stupid question.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

24 Jul 2008, 15:30 #3

from a 'last name origin' search just now:

Search results for: Cade
An old word for a barrel or cask; probably taken from a sign at an ale-house or tavern--"John at the Cade." .

But another site says also that it is of 'English' origin. Probably originally England.

<you>Miscellaneous Info for Cade </you>

Categories:
Nature, Surnames, American, English

Used in: English speaking countries

Additional info: Cade is a surname with three separate English origins. It may be from an Old English first name which originally denoted something round or lumpy and swollen. Cade may also be derived from the Middle English word for barrel, thus denoting a barrel-maker. Thirdly, Cade may come from a Middle English word for a pet or domestic animal, which was used to mean a person was gentle. In nature, Cade Juniper (juniperus oxycedrus) is a variety of juniper that is found in the Mediterranean region.

Hope that helps!
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

25 Jul 2008, 20:08 #4

Thanks alot for you help! That's very interesting... :D

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

26 Jul 2008, 17:38 #5

interesting question. i had never really thought about that before.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

26 Jul 2008, 20:57 #6

That was very intresting Jenn. I had thought about it but I knew lots of people growing up here that had sallow skin so I just imagined that he was like that.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

26 Jul 2008, 23:28 #7

A long time ago, I was talking with my friend, and she always considered Johnny to be Spanish. She wondered if his parents had moved from Mexico, changed their name and so on. She said she would have never considered this unless there wasn't so much emphasis on his dark complexion, dark eyes, and dark hair. At first, I didn't think much on it, becuase you get descriptions of all characters (Dallas has very pale skin, very blonde hair, Darry has ice blue green eyes, it seems like Pony is almost a redhead himself, and so on) but the more she talked about it, the more I began to wonder.

My friend did go on to marry a Spanish man, and she used his "history" to kind of plead her case and make me wonder if the same thing could have happened to Johnny and his family. :)

I've always had a difficult time grasping that; comparing Jose's life to Johnny's life, just because it says right in the book that Johnny has never even been outside the neighborhood, but it makes me wonder why, too. If there is something behind the reason that his parents never left, or if it's just because they're alcoholics and just have nowhere to go.

I think it's a decent idea, but difficult to grasp.
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

27 Jul 2008, 01:42 #8

Actually, I was re-reading Jenn K's findings on the 'last name origin' and I found that the english-name origin of Cade that stated that it "may come from a Middle English word for a pet or domestic animal" was quite coincidental considering that Ponyboy called him a "kicked puppy" in the book (or something along the lines of that...) Hmmmm.... Makes me wonder if Ms. Hinton looks up the origins of names before she names the characters themselves... :D Interesting....

If only Ms. Hinton herself would tell us what Johnny's nationality is...! I just wanna know... It's kinda bothering me. lol

10 Mar 2009, 01:39 #9

It seems to me that he has some sort of ethnic heritage; maybe Hispanic or Native American (lots of Native Americans live in Oklahoma). It's possible that he can have an American last name like Cade, perhaps it's his mother's side of the family that is Hispanic and his father is American, so he got his father's last name. That is the case with me.

23 Jun 2009, 04:10 #10

I always thought that Johnny was half African American. Like, maybe his mom was white and his dad was black?

There may be an interview with Hinton on it. I'm sure she's been asked this before.

14 Jan 2010, 01:44 #11

DoitforJohnny! @ Jun 22 2009, 10:10 PM wrote: I always thought that Johnny was half African American. Like, maybe his mom was white and his dad was black?

There may be an interview with Hinton on it. I'm sure she's been asked this before.
I dont think he black.. she would have had someone who is half black play him, and Ralph Macchio is Italian... I'm wondering if Johnny is Italian.

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 04:26 #12

I thought Johnny was Native American.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 15:29 #13

I seriously doubt Johnny was black, he's probably Italian. It's so strange; my world seems to be revolving around Italians since about three and a half, four years ago... And I'd only heard of The Outsiders and Ralph a couple months back! And I honestly LOVE Italy and a number of Italians. <3
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

25 Jan 2011, 15:52 #14

Well Johnny is one nice looking boy but I am hispanic and I am not that dark. But he could be hispanic and mixed italian. In the movie but in real I think he is spanish in real life. One time me and my friends were talking about the outsiders couse we had just read it for school, by the way really really good book. And she thought Johnny was really dark and started calling him and me mexicans, and I was like whatever. But that is what I think. :17: :18:
"Having a brother like Soda your never bored.
~Ponyboy Curtis~

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

25 Jan 2011, 19:21 #15

Please read the rule at the top of the page. None of the "hot" guys comments. :19:

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........