Instead Of Talking Like Them...

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Instead Of Talking Like Them...

JohnnyCade108
Posts 0
JohnnyCade108

16 Jul 2007, 05:41 #1

I seen equestriangurl's topic about talking like them, but have you ever found yourself reading the book like them?

Like after I seen the movie and when I read the book again sometime later, I found myself reading it with a Oklahoma accent, more like the way Ponyboy and Johnny talked.

Haha am I crazy or does it happen to anybody else?

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

16 Jul 2007, 17:02 #2

That happens to me too. I also find my walking style a bit different when I'm thinking about the Outsiders (which is practically 24/7)

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

27 Jul 2007, 03:51 #3

i normally will just hear their voices in my head as i read what they say. i dont exactly give myself an accent when i read it.

#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member
#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member

27 Jul 2007, 16:40 #4

I'm like Amy I hear C. thomas howell's voice :P but when i'm reading it out loud i just read it in my normal accent which sound alot like an Oklahoma one.
"Man that was a tuff car, mustangs are tuff"

~Summer Nicole~

ponyboys_sunset
Posts 0
ponyboys_sunset

29 Jul 2007, 07:13 #5

YES, defiintely YES, i always read aloud in the same style that Ponyboy reads the 1st line of the film.

and i would definitely do my best to read the dialogue out in the same fashion as it was in the film to a listener. since i've got the film tone dialogue almost memorized :P

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

08 Aug 2007, 19:30 #6

That definetelty happens to me. I am writing a book of short stroies, some that take place in that era and some that dont. When I read one to my mom, it taks place at the verybeggining of Vietnam in Tulsa, I read it wiht an OK accent. My mom cracked up.

mrsjohnnycade
Posts 0
mrsjohnnycade

23 Sep 2007, 23:10 #7

although its not on purpose i talk like them all the time. when you watch the movie basically daily the slang becomes part of your vocabulary. well at least thats that case for me. i basically dress like a greaser too. tight black pants//white shirts//converse.
but i dressed like this before i read the book a year ago

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

25 Sep 2007, 18:30 #8

I read in accents all the time. Haha.

I try and type in accents aswell when im instant messaging an stuff aswell =\
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

26 Sep 2007, 04:07 #9

My friends seem to think I'm warped. I've completely opened my vocabulary to oldies slang and I dress full-out greaser (though nobody cares about that, seeing as I started dressing like that quite awhile back after looking through some old photoalbums...)

I read the book normally outloud, but I do tend to be a bit more enthusiastic with The Outsiders outloud than I am with other books.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

03 Jan 2010, 05:57 #10

Hahahahah.... Yeah, that happened to me to. And personally, I like hearing their voice in my head when I'm reading; it gives an even more realistic feel to it. And for the scenes, now I don't have to use my imagination (even though it's so vivid it scares me)! I can pluck the memory of the movie right out while reading! Long live the greasers. <3
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

04 Jan 2010, 22:25 #11

Hey same here! CT's voice is playing in my head while I'm reading the book and imagining the scene in the movie. :) It's awesome!

I would talk in an Oklahomian accent if I knew how. :P But I just can't get it right. So I only imagine it.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

11 Jan 2010, 01:03 #12

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 4 2010, 04:25 PM wrote: Hey same here! CT's voice is playing in my head while I'm reading the book and imagining the scene in the movie. :) It's awesome!

I would talk in an Oklahomian accent if I knew how. :P But I just can't get it right. So I only imagine it.
LOL! I almost got the accent patted down! I have to practice in the shower so my folks don't hear me, though.... XD

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

11 Jan 2010, 21:14 #13

Practicing in the shower is the worst place for me because my family can hear me real good from there... LOL but i'm working on my accent!! Heh I used to live in Texas when I was little so i end up sounding more Texan..... I'm trying though!!! :)
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

13 Jan 2010, 00:00 #14

I do that. Before I seen the movie I had no clue what they sounded like. Knowing how they sound makes it easier to read. But I never read it out loud. Just in my head.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:30 #15

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 11 2010, 03:14 PM wrote: Practicing in the shower is the worst place for me because my family can hear me real good from there... LOL but i'm working on my accent!! Heh I used to live in Texas when I was little so i end up sounding more Texan..... I'm trying though!!! :)
lmfao! I can do a sort of Ponyboy accent, but at some points I just completely loose it and start laughing like heck. XD You were from Texas? Cool, I've always wanted to go there. And Tulse, of course. I'm in Vancouver, though. Bleh. >.<

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:58 #16

Naw, I think Vancouver's pretty cool! I've only been to Canada once, and that was when I was one. :) I really hope to go there, to see what it's like!

I used to live in Texas, when I was two years old, and I lived there for like four years or somethin'. But I was born in New Jersey, and I live in New Jersey. My sister was born there though; she is so proud of it. I'm kinda jealous of her though. :P

I wanna go to Tulsa soooo bad, it's not even funny. I WILL go there someday!!!

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 09:37 #17

Well, yeah, Vancouver ain't bad. I miss Montreal, though. I love the snow. :) And buddy, I'm totally with you with the Tulsa thing! If I don't go there some time I'll go ape, to put it mildly. Heh~

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:00 #18

Oooooh you lived in Montreal? That's awesome!!

LOL yup I'd go ape too. It's one of my lifetime goals to go to Tulsa.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:10 #19

Ja, I lived in Montreal for about four and a half years. It was beautiful, and I'm a fluent French speaker, as well as a very fluent English speaker.

Tulsa, Tulsa, Tulsa.... I'd never even heard of that town until I read The Outsiders novel and watched The Outsiders movie. Too bad I'm only about two months away from being 14; if I was a bit older, I could go there myself, mayge take some fellow greaser girls. *wink wink*

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:17 #20

WOW you speak French??? I wish I could!

Yeah I never heard of the town Tulsa till The Outsiders. If I was a bit older, and I finally win some independance from my parents, maybe we can go there together. :)

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:19 #21

That'd be cool. :)