Info On The New Editions Coming Soon!

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Info On The New Editions Coming Soon!

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2005, 03:05

14 Feb 2006, 20:13 #1

Available beginning April & May 2006:
Two new paperback editions of "The Outsiders" are now available for Pre-Order on both Amazon.com.uk and Amazon.com (US) !!

(Release April 20, 2006) This one is being put out by Puffin Publishers. Both at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. UK does ship to the United States
  • Paperback: 208 pages
    Publisher: Puffin (April 20, 2006)
    Language: English
    ISBN: 014240733X
    (The cover art to this one is attatched)</li>
(Release May 30, 2006) The other (US edition) is by Penquin Classics. Cover art on this edition is not yet available.
  • Paperback: 160 pages
    Publisher: Penguin Classics; 1st edition (May 30, 2006)
    Language: English
    ISBN: 0143039857</li>
I do not know why there is such a difference in the pages per book. I'm assuming it may have something to do with the introductions.

There are PreOrder links on the Merchandise Mart area of the website for your convenience.

I know we talked about the one earlier, but there are two coming. Should have different cover art.

SO EXCITING!!!
Jenn
new_cover_art.jpg
new_cover_art.jpg
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website
Reply
Like

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

14 Feb 2006, 21:46 #2

The 20th april!!! *starts counting down* <3 the cover art is excellent.
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

17 Feb 2006, 19:20 #3

:( Amazon has cancelled my order due to limited availability :( Oh well i can still get the US edition.
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Joined: 16 Feb 2005, 00:24

17 Feb 2006, 20:32 #4

I like that cover. :)
Reply
Like

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

24 Feb 2006, 15:59 #5

bovril @ Feb 17 2006, 07:20 PM wrote: :( Amazon has cancelled my order due to limited availability&nbsp; :(&nbsp; Oh well i can still get the US edition.
Does that mean they're not gonna put em out for sale in waterstones or WHS?

I hope they sell em in bookstores and not just on Amazon...
Reply

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

24 Feb 2006, 17:36 #6

i like this cover much better than the one with the skyline and all the faces. i dont like that skyline one. it looks to weird. this ones really cool.
Reply

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

24 Feb 2006, 19:16 #7

Ryker @ Feb 24 2006, 04:59 PM wrote: Does that mean they're not gonna put em out for sale in waterstones or WHS?

I hope they sell em in bookstores and not just on Amazon...
I dont know as of yet but im planning on going into town tomorow and there are 2 waterstones and 2 whs so im gonna go check andd see. :D
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

26 Feb 2006, 14:26 #8

bovril @ Feb 24 2006, 07:16 PM wrote:
Ryker @ Feb 24 2006, 04:59 PM wrote: Does that mean they're not gonna put em out for sale in waterstones or WHS?

I hope they sell em in bookstores and not just on Amazon...
I dont know as of yet but im planning on going into town tomorow and there are 2 waterstones and 2 whs so im gonna go check andd see. :D
Oh sweet. Let us know if they are :)
Reply

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

26 Feb 2006, 18:51 #9

Both waterstones didnt know :rolleyes: But i have a friend who works there so shes gonna find out. Ill let you guys know.
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2005, 03:05

26 Feb 2006, 20:19 #10

they're not released yet
Not till April & May

...or so I thought?
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website
Reply
Like

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

26 Feb 2006, 20:26 #11

Jenn_K @ Feb 26 2006, 09:19 PM wrote: they're not released yet
Not till April & May

...or so I thought?
Waterstones tend to know what there getting a good few months before publishing, so people can reserve copiesand what not :)
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

12 Apr 2006, 01:06 #12

I went and had a look at the second copy, the Penguin Classics one and the cover's pretty nice. I love both of the new covers, they're very evocative!
the penguin classics cover
I'm excited to read the introduction, I love the Penguin Classics series, we use so many of them for our University course.
I'm definitely getting these two copies when they're out and when I get some money!
I can't work out if I'm being really silly with a lot of copies of the same books! I just like the way different illustrators and graphic designers come up with a cover that tries to give you some idea of what it's about and still entice you to pick it up, be interested and buy it.
I know I've picked up some amazing books in the past just by being intrigued by a unique cover! Although I know you should never judge a book by its cover, it does help if a great book has a great cover to go with it!
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2005, 03:05

12 Apr 2006, 13:13 #13

thanks for sharing that image; I'll get the site updated today with it.
Very cool

Thanks again!
Jenn
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website
Reply
Like

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

12 Apr 2006, 13:30 #14

I emailed the author who wrote the introduction to the new edition, she's a famous novelist too, she also writes about relationships and family and I asked her how she came to write the introduction and this is her reply.

"I was asked by the publisher to write the intro for SE Hinton's book - and I readily agreed. I had read that book when I was a teen and it made an impact on me...it wasn't until I started Reading about her that I realized how much we have in common as writers, too! It really was quite an honor to do it!

Keep Reading -
Jodi Picoult"
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Joined: 17 Feb 2005, 19:36

12 Apr 2006, 16:28 #15

Pitythebackseat @ Apr 12 2006, 08:30 AM wrote:I emailed the author who wrote the introduction to the new edition, she's a famous novelist too, she also writes about relationships and family...
Thanks for sharing that cover, I really like it. It seems that much more so than any of the other covers, it puts across the theme of the book in such a simple way that just says it all. Very powerful.

Thanks also for the comments about the author who wrote the introduction. I checked out her website, and I think I'll be heading to the library next week. :D

Liz
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity
Reply
Like

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 18:05

13 Apr 2006, 01:55 #16

I had a question about changes to the text in some of the editions.

My students are Reading one of the latest editions (dark blue cover with four faces and the skyline...it comes with a Q&A with S.E. Hinton)...I was flipping through my own personal copy (a much older edition from the early 80s), and I noticed in the OLD edition, in Chapter 10 when the stranger picks up Ponyboy and drops him off at home, he says something like, "I'm just a naturally great guy." (Don't have it in front of me.)

However my kids' editions don't have this line...makes me wonder if there are other smaller changes to the text and why these changes were made?

Curious...
Reply
Like

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 18:01

13 Apr 2006, 02:34 #17

I checked my 1st & 5th edition copies, and it has that same line, but the newer edition does not. Something to check into.............
Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........
Reply
Like

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

13 Apr 2006, 18:51 #18

englishteacher @ Apr 13 2006, 02:55 AM wrote: I had a question about changes to the text in some of the editions.

My students are Reading one of the latest editions (dark blue cover with four faces and the skyline...it comes with a Q&A with S.E. Hinton)...I was flipping through my own personal copy (a much older edition from the early 80s), and I noticed in the OLD edition, in Chapter 10 when the stranger picks up Ponyboy and drops him off at home, he says something like, "I'm just a naturally great guy." (Don't have it in front of me.)

However my kids' editions don't have this line...makes me wonder if there are other smaller changes to the text and why these changes were made?

Curious...
In the english Lion Tracks edition it says Cinema instead of Movies all the way through. :angry:
Do you happen to have a picture of the edition with the Q&A, i'd like to read that one :D .
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

13 Apr 2006, 19:41 #19

Hey Bovril, I think the one with the q&a are the copies with the floating heads on, definitely the new darker cover version.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 18:05

14 Apr 2006, 03:09 #20

pity, you are right...they are the ones with the floating heads...or, as my kids call them, "the big heads."

i like the new cover better, but the Q&A is outstanding.

we have finished Reading the novel and needless to say it was an enormous hit with my students...we will follow up with the movie and a project. i need to post the project ideas on the lesson plan thread i started.
Reply
Like

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Joined: 24 Jan 2005, 03:05

14 Apr 2006, 12:13 #21

englishteacher @ Apr 13 2006, 10:09 PM wrote: we have finished Reading the novel and needless to say it was an enormous hit with my students...we will follow up with the movie and a project.
hey there
you're going to watch 'The Complete Novel' - right?
(Meaning I hope you've found it in your area or ordered it online)

Have fun with your projects!
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website
Reply
Like

Moyboy
Posts 0
Moyboy

04 May 2006, 21:03 #22

I got the editon today @ Borders! It cost &#036;10. :huh: I thought that was pretty expensive for a sorta thin book like this edition. My friend thought i was kind of crazy for buying it at that price, but she knows how much i love The Outsiders.

Did anyone get it for a cheaper price?
Reply

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

20 May 2006, 22:41 #23

Mine cost about what would convert to seven dollars but I paid a bit extra for postage as well since I bought it from Amazon.co.uk.
I really like it, the design and everything. Unfortunately I've caught a few typos already but it still has the movie house line and it has a little interview with Ms Hinton so that makes up for it as well as the great foreword she wrote!

Am very much looking forward to the next edition now!
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member
Joined: 10 Sep 2005, 18:21

21 May 2006, 12:16 #24

Pitythebackseat @ May 20 2006, 11:41 PM wrote: Mine cost about what would convert to seven dollars but I paid a bit extra for postage as well since I bought it from Amazon.co.uk.
I really like it, the design and everything. Unfortunately I've caught a few typos already but it still has the movie house line and it has a little interview with Ms Hinton so that makes up for it as well as the great foreword she wrote!

Am very much looking forward to the next edition now!
The US edition or the Uk one? :)
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]
Reply
Like

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

21 May 2006, 13:36 #25

It's the one with the black and white photo of the boy on the cover. it has American prices on the back so I assume this is the USA edition.. The Penguin Classics one which I assume is the UK edition isn't out yet for a couple of weeks I think but I might pre-order it on Amazon.co.uk
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like