If You Could've Changed Anything, What Would It Be

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

If You Could've Changed Anything, What Would It Be

Kelsey17
Posts 0
Kelsey17

15 Dec 2005, 23:44 #1

Hey if you could change anything that happened in the book or movie what would it be?.. for example the ending or having johnny or dallas not die.

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

16 Dec 2005, 06:11 #2

Well, despite the fact I like the characters so much, I always felt that having Johnny and Dally die was the escence of what 'The Outsiders' is and was. It wouldn't ring true if either one had survived.

(Although I have an easier time Reading fan fic where Dally survived and Johnny dies...I'm not sure why....)

I think one thing I'd change is I'd actually add in one part that was in the movie and not the book. When Pony is heading into school and Cherry looks at him and walks away in the movie, I think it's a great piece that shows that Cherry isn't perfect. Despite her telling Pony in the book not to take it personal if she doesn't say hi, we never see her doing that. I think if we were shown that she really did ignore him, it gives her character a bit more of an edge...like she may want things to be different, but she does nothing to change them. When i saw that scene in the movie I really liked what it added and I wished it was in the book.

ilovetheoutsiders
Posts 0
ilovetheoutsiders

16 Dec 2005, 21:48 #3

"
I think one thing I'd change is I'd actually add in one part that was in the movie and not the book. When Pony is heading into school and Cherry looks at him and walks away in the movie, I think it's a great piece that shows that Cherry isn't perfect. Despite her telling Pony in the book not to take it personal if she doesn't say hi, we never see her doing that. I think if we were shown that she really did ignore him, it gives her character a bit more of an edge...like she may want things to be different, but she does nothing to change them. When i saw that scene in the movie I really liked what it added and I wished it was in the book. "
did that work? thats my 1st time doin a quote! well, i agree completely with that. i alos think johnny and dally definatly should have died. dont think im mean cause johnnys 1 of my favs! but something would b missing from the outsiders without that. i think the book should have like an epilouge or somethin cause we dont know wat happened years later. like you dont get 2 c if darry goes 2 college or wat ponyboy does 1ce he gets over johnnys death...

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

17 Dec 2005, 02:53 #4

Due to my attatchment to Dallas and Johnny, I of course don't want them to die. But I wouldn't change the book. The book was written, and that's what happened. It's just how the story goes. If something that major was changed, it would be a different story.

I would be interested in seeing, however, how the book was when S.E. Hinton first wrote it, unedited and such, if there were any differences.

MrsJohnnyCake
Posts 0
MrsJohnnyCake

19 Dec 2005, 03:19 #5

I would of liked to have Dallas not die. It did add to the esence of The Outsiders, but if it wasn't in there the book would be alot different.

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

19 Dec 2005, 03:21 #6

Although it severely depresses me everytime Dal dies, it was necessary. He finally cracked. Everybody has a breaking point, even though he didn't think he did. It was tragic, but at the same time, a true mark of how much Johnny meant to him.

ponygirlxcurtis
Posts 0
ponygirlxcurtis

08 Jan 2006, 02:28 #7

yea..i also think that i wouldn't have wanted dally to die....because he died for no reason! actually..<you>i would have wanted dally to have not walked into that store</you>....so he would have not ripped the magazine....so he would not have been chased by cops....so that he would not have pulled out his UNLOADED gun at the cops...so he would have not been shot to death =[

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

08 Jan 2006, 02:30 #8

ponygirlxcurtis @ Jan 7 2006, 08:28 PM wrote: yea..i also think that i wouldn't have wanted dally to die....because he died for no reason! actually..<you>i would have wanted dally to have not walked into that store</you>....so he would have not ripped the magazine....so he would not have been chased by cops....so that he would not have pulled out his UNLOADED gun at the cops...so he would have not been shot to death =[
He did die for a reason! His death was not in vain. He died for Johnny. He comitted suicide. He wanted to die. He didn't want to go on, because the only one he really cared about was gone. Poor Dal. It couldn't've happened really any other way, though. Dally wanted to die, so he made it happen.

Moyboy
Posts 0
Moyboy

08 Jan 2006, 03:12 #9

in the book it was obviuos that Dally did want to die. He robbed a drugstore, stepped under the street lamp for the cops to find him, his action of pulling out the unloaded gun and him smiling at the gang coming for him before he fell onto the street. I also agree w/ shadowedwolf. He did die and only loved Johnny and lost him forever.

Yeah, i also wish that Dally & Johnny didn't die in the movie, but you have to follow the book. If Francis Ford Coppola didn't do what the book did, then the movie would flat out suck really bad.

PonyboyFangirl
Posts 0
PonyboyFangirl

08 Jan 2006, 03:23 #10

I would change just one thing from the movie. And that's not doing favoritism in the rumble. What? IT'S TRUE!! Why else would Soda only have one bruise on his cheek and Darry barely got hurt in the movie? And why else, in the movie, that Ponyboy just laid down there in the grass getting hit without even yanking off a Soc's strand of hair, while he actually did fight(Maybe a bit, but better than just lying there) in the book? also, why else would the rumble start when someone punched Ponyboy onto the ground, while in the book, it started when Paul and Darry started fighting? </endstupidrant>

So, uh, yeah, i wouldn't allow Dally and Johnny to die either =3

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

08 Jan 2006, 03:26 #11

Moyboy @ Jan 7 2006, 09:12 PM wrote: in the book it was obviuos that Dally did want to die. He robbed a drugstore, stepped under the street lamp for the camps to find him, his action of pulling out the unloaded gun and him smiling at the gang coming for him before he fell onto the street. I also agree w/ shadowedwolf. He did die and only loved Johnny and lost him forever.

Yeah, i also wish that Dally & Johnny didn't die in the movie, but you have to follow the book. If Francis Ford Coppola didn't do what the book did, then the movie would flat out suck really bad.
I agree completely. As my previous post confirms.

clules11
Posts 0
clules11

28 Apr 2008, 00:57 #12

marsonfire @ Dec 16 2005, 12:11 AM wrote: Well, despite the fact I like the characters so much, I always felt that having Johnny and Dally die was the escence of what 'The Outsiders' is and was. It wouldn't ring true if either one had survived.

(Although I have an easier time Reading fan fic where Dally survived and Johnny dies...I'm not sure why....)

I think one thing I'd change is I'd actually add in one part that was in the movie and not the book. When Pony is heading into school and Cherry looks at him and walks away in the movie, I think it's a great piece that shows that Cherry isn't perfect. Despite her telling Pony in the book not to take it personal if she doesn't say hi, we never see her doing that. I think if we were shown that she really did ignore him, it gives her character a bit more of an edge...like she may want things to be different, but she does nothing to change them. When i saw that scene in the movie I really liked what it added and I wished it was in the book.
I like that part about Cherry too. I know a lot of people think she's mean for doing that. And I agree, that wasn't good. But I doubt few people can say they wouldn't have done the same thing. I feel like I would, but my school didn't have the same problem(s) as their school did.

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

01 Aug 2008, 16:15 #13

I thought the movie didn't have a lot of the scenes the book had and I wish it was more like the book. I also wish that they said the exact thing the character said in the book. Like, after Johnny dies and Dal runs away, the man didn't stop and ask Pony if he wanted a ride and Randy doesn't come visit Pony when he's sick. I wish it were a little more like the book, that's what im trying to say,
THX,
Ellenroth
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

01 Aug 2008, 22:19 #14

Eh, well.... If I were to change the book in any way....

I would NOT have Johnny (and consequently) Dally die as well. I already think that the book was bittersweet enough when Johnny became bed-ridden in the hospital, suffering... I would've liked to see Johnny slowly but surely recover and then just join "the gang" once again....I think it would've made a big impact in itself on the boys to realize what happened with Johnny (sacrificing himself for the children in the church...) and then have him endure, and conquer the pain, and then, finally, fully recover (maybe "the gang" would even have an epiphany about all of this...)

It also would've been very touching if Pony comforted Johnny and helped him recover in the hospital by JUST being there for him (well, we had a taste of that in the novel...But, it would've been nice to see more...) while he recovered and shared some best friend quality bonding time, no stress, no worrying... AKA running from the police because of Johnny's murder...Just bonding...simply enjoying each other's company....

I know, cheesy...But I dunno, With all of the tragedy in the novel itself... I think it would make for a nice alternate ending. :D
....Ah, how I love teen angst... <3... lol

dally4ever

06 Dec 2009, 03:44 #15

[/B]

i love dally to death and i wish he didnt die but without him dying the note at the end pony read from johnny wouldnt be that great to hear cause he's alive and he wouldnt have been motivated to write about the past week or 2

i would love for...
them to have shown sodapop more in the movie cause he was only in like 2or 3 scenes

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

20 Jan 2010, 01:45 #16

I wouldn't change A THING from the book. It's perfect the way it is. If Johnny and Dally didn't die, the book's message wouldn't have been so powerful. It severely depresses me, but I wouldn't change it. It just wouldn't be the same.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

20 Jan 2010, 10:34 #17

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 19 2010, 07:45 PM wrote: I wouldn't change A THING from the book. It's perfect the way it is. If Johnny and Dally didn't die, the book's message wouldn't have been so powerful. It severely depresses me, but I wouldn't change it. It just wouldn't be the same.
I'm so with you there, thebiggestoutsidersfan...

Saying it myself hurts too much, so... 'nuff said.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2010, 01:13 #18

Yeah it tears me apart that they have to die, but that's what made the book so special. Oh no, my eyes are waterin' up again... :'(
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

21 Jan 2010, 22:21 #19

Even though it was so sad I wouldn't change a thing. If Johnny and Dally didn't die then Pony wouldn't have learned what he needed to. And I guess one thing leads to the other with everything else. If just one thing was changed then it would effect a lot of things.

I hope that made sense.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2010, 23:19 #20

Sodapop127 @ Jan 21 2010, 04:21 PM wrote: Even though it was so sad I wouldn't change a thing. If Johnny and Dally didn't die then Pony wouldn't have learned what he needed to. And I guess one thing leads to the other with everything else. If just one thing was changed then it would effect a lot of things.

I hope that made sense.
It did...

... but it still hurts. :(
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

26 Jan 2010, 00:17 #21

Yeah I know :(
But there's always that fantasy world we like so much that we can go to..... :)
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

27 Jan 2010, 01:08 #22

That world I go to everyday...every hour...every minute... :P

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

27 Jan 2010, 04:14 #23

I have to say, I wouldn't change anything about the book either.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

01 Feb 2010, 07:24 #24

Karen @ Jan 26 2010, 10:14 PM wrote:I have to say, I wouldn't change anything about the book either.

Stay Gold, Karen
Y'know what I'm talking about then, right? Cause like I said if one thing was changed it would make everything else different.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

01 Feb 2010, 21:41 #25

Y'know what I'm talking about then, right? Cause like I said if one thing was changed it would make everything else different.
Mhmmm what you said makes TOTAL sense and I agree with you completely. I bet if Johnny and Dally didn't die *sniffles* , the whole point of the story might've been different. :(