How Have You Been Affected?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

How Have You Been Affected?

Christian
Advanced Member
Christian
Advanced Member

21 Jan 2009, 01:59 #1

Sorry, this may have been brought up before, but I am planning on doing a paper on how certain characters have affected the lives of people. I was planning on including Ponyboy from The Outsiders (feel free to suggest/mention other characters!). I know how he has affected mine. I first read the book in 7th grade and it was really overwhelming when I finally understood the true meanings of the book. I think I was pretty much the only one in my class that was literally mesmerized. I guess it got me thinking about what was really important in life, etc. So if anyone wants to help me out by sharing your story that would be awesome! Thanks, Christian
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 13:00 #2

I'm not a great one to answer this as it didn't affect me that much it thought me something, it thought me not to judge people that everyone is human so to speak. I first read the book and was really hard on Darry it wasn't until I found myself pregnant and alone at 18 that I really really understood him and how much pressure he was under to raise his brothers, pay bills and keep them out of trouble.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 17:04 #3

Christian @ Jan 20 2009, 07:59 PM wrote:Sorry, this may have been brought up before, but I am planning on doing a paper on how certain characters have affected the lives of people. I was planning on including Ponyboy from The Outsiders (feel free to suggest/mention other characters!). I know how he has affected mine. I first read the book in 7th grade and it was really overwhelming when I finally understood the true meanings of the book. I think I was pretty much the only one in my class that was literally mesmerized. I guess it got me thinking about what was really important in life, etc. So if anyone wants to help me out by sharing your story that would be awesome! Thanks, Christian
I would have to say that yes I was affected by the characters in the movie,especially Pony Boy but I think it came over time as I watched the film. I see Pony Boy in me, Johnny Cade and definately Dallas Winston. It seems that I knew some of the Johnny Cades and Dallas Winstons in life and I think back of true situations growing up that are often played out in the film, a boy being beat up on the corner and thinking am I next since I was the new yankee boy in town from New York to Texas and then only to find that the guy was nice to me. it goes on and on.

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

22 Jan 2009, 07:03 #4

Christian @ Jan 20 2009, 07:59 PM wrote:Sorry, this may have been brought up before, but I am planning on doing a paper on how certain characters have affected the lives of people. I was planning on including Ponyboy from The Outsiders (feel free to suggest/mention other characters!). I know how he has affected mine. I first read the book in 7th grade and it was really overwhelming when I finally understood the true meanings of the book. I think I was pretty much the only one in my class that was literally mesmerized. I guess it got me thinking about what was really important in life, etc. So if anyone wants to help me out by sharing your story that would be awesome! Thanks, Christian
What about Charlie Bucket from Willy Wonka. Made an impact on me when It came out I was 7 at the time. I think its second to The Wizrd of OZ.

ponyBOYluver

02 Feb 2009, 23:18 #5

Christian @ Jan 20 2009, 07:59 PM wrote: Sorry, this may have been brought up before, but I am planning on doing a paper on how certain characters have affected the lives of people. I was planning on including Ponyboy from The Outsiders (feel free to suggest/mention other characters!). I know how he has affected mine. I first read the book in 7th grade and it was really overwhelming when I finally understood the true meanings of the book. I think I was pretty much the only one in my class that was literally mesmerized. I guess it got me thinking about what was really important in life, etc. So if anyone wants to help me out by sharing your story that would be awesome! Thanks, Christian
This book actually saved my life
I was considering suiside
but then when I read this book this year in grade 8
I saw that things as cherry said
"things are rough all over"
I love this book
and i wish in a way there was another book with the gang
but thats the way it has to be
I see Ponyboy and Cherry in myself
seeing others who are liek you but not being able to talk to them cause there not what the social status calls cool
in my school I'm what S.E. Hinton was like
I'm friends with people in different social situations
I'm considered a little Eccentric
and this shows me that even teens can be authors
That's how we do it in the
1960's

☼Stay gold☼

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

03 Feb 2009, 13:34 #6

ponyBOYluver @ Feb 2 2009, 06:18 PM wrote: This book actually saved my life
Never a solution! Any time you ever feel like that, please talk to somebody. I've known two people in my life who committed suicide. It is never a good idea, and things do get better, no matter how bad they seem. Life is short. Live it strong, live it well, and don't worry about anybody who can't accept you for who you are.

And like I said, talk to somebody if you feel like that again. Depression is a painful and scary thing, but you can get help for it.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

ponyBOYluver

03 Feb 2009, 23:19 #7

Nittanylizard @ Feb 3 2009, 07:34 AM wrote:
ponyBOYluver @ Feb 2 2009, 06:18 PM wrote: This book actually saved my life
Never a solution! Any time you ever feel like that, please talk to somebody. I've known two people in my life who committed suicide. It is never a good idea, and things do get better, no matter how bad they seem. Life is short. Live it strong, live it well, and don't worry about anybody who can't accept you for who you are.

And like I said, talk to somebody if you feel like that again. Depression is a painful and scary thing, but you can get help for it.
I know I'm wayyy better now
I love my life
I was just saying this book helped to see that everyone has problems
That's how we do it in the
1960's

☼Stay gold☼

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

03 Feb 2009, 23:26 #8

I'm glad you are doing so much better and glad you became a part of our website.
Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

johnnycake_25

03 Aug 2009, 23:14 #9

oh this book has totally changed my life. changed my view on things. i used to act quickly, think slowly. but now, i really think about what im doing and i get into these deep thoughts or whatever. ive been completely different after this. everyone says so. and im more aware of my surroundings and more on my feet. i guess.
☼stay gold☼
☼stay gold☼
"Man,that was a tuff car.Mustangs..they're tuff."

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

11 Aug 2009, 18:46 #10

Hi, johnnycake, that' s cool you see it that way. I don't know how old you are but venture a guess on younger than me ;-) and I am amazed how this book although out of date in almost every aspect still captivates young readers. My oldest daughter, 14, loves the book and the movie, and her younger sister, 11, just started reading the book. So, the baton is being passed on.
:20:

kelsey51090

12 Aug 2009, 03:10 #11

When i read the book and watched the movie, the story didn't affect me as much as it does now. I have friends in the lower class, and some of them think that i don't have problems because i'm part of the upper class. Honestly, I wanted to throw a copy of the book in their face and say i have just as many problems as you do. The book helped me realize that things are tough for everyone, no matter what their financial status is.

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

12 Aug 2009, 18:46 #12

... or how old they are ;-).
And if the problems stay maybe so do the solutions. There's more to "stay gold" than just keep looking at sunsets.

johnnycake_25

07 Oct 2009, 23:55 #13

dragonchild @ Aug 11 2009, 12:46 PM wrote: Hi, johnnycake, that' s cool you see it that way. I don't know how old you are but venture a guess on younger than me ;-) and I am amazed how this book although out of date in almost every aspect still captivates young readers. My oldest daughter, 14, loves the book and the movie, and her younger sister, 11, just started reading the book. So, the baton is being passed on.
:20:
yeaa i read it first in 7th grade, and now...well, let's just say i've read it a little too much. but every time i read it, i feeel it. ya know? i feel the emotions. s.e. hinton really did a good job with the descriptions and all. i have the book and i wanna keep it and keep reading it till i die. (:

it was goood. i cant even begin to explain it.
☼stay gold☼
"Man,that was a tuff car.Mustangs..they're tuff."

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

12 Dec 2009, 22:16 #14

This book had such a big impact on me.....I don't know where to begin! I finished reading it last week (I'm in 8th grade), and ever since I read it, I've been daydreaming constantly. I'm always thinking about Johnny, Ponyboy, and Dally. I've been going over my life, thinking how much i have in common with them. I am a loner, it's true, and at first I was kind of ashamed of that. But now I'm proud of it. I don't care what other people think about me.

Even my parents are getting a little worried, because now I barely talk and I'm not as interested with things as I used to. I'm kind of in derpression mode, actually, ever since I read that book. I'm always thinking before i do something, and everything I do reminds me of them. It's sooooooo weird. I've been thinking of things so deeply these days, it's not even funny.

Does anyone else feel this way, or is it just me???
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

13 Dec 2009, 05:35 #15

No, I don't think its just you. Although I didn't have depression after reading the book, I think the book affected me in different ways.
I never really liked that fact that Johnny and Dally died, but death happens in real life, and life happens. It opened my eyes to the fact that the 60's were not exactly an idealic time. I study history alot, and if you believe everything the history books tell you, you can almost come away with the idea that the 60's were like the 50's, just not as good.

One of the best points of the book is that you don't have to conform to a set standard in order to be accepted. I was always kind of a loner in school, never fitting in with the preps, nerds or druggies. Always being on the fringe of these groups, but each group thinking I was too tame for them. So I did my own thing, and still do to this day.

I always like to say that when you are this much into the book, you are living it.
Don't be depressed, but use your feelings to know what makes you feel that way.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

13 Dec 2009, 18:42 #16

Thanks Karen! Yeah, I'm trying not to be so depressed, and I'm trying to see why exactly I'm acting this way. I glad I'm not the only one who feels this way :)

I practically AM living the book, now that you mention it! I'm learning everyday what life really is. And this book taught me a lot. It will stay with me FOREVER.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders