How Do You Think The Characters Would Have Grown?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

How Do You Think The Characters Would Have Grown?

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

02 Feb 2005, 21:43 #1

Would they be different as they grew older? Would the experiences of Dally's and Johnny's deaths have changed the way they view life or the way they act?
You remember Two-Bit and Steve are shocked at how easily Ponyboy is able to threaten a few socs with a busted bottle? <_<

Sometimes I wonder if S.E Hinton ever sits and wonders what her characters would be like in the future, I'm in awe of people who can write, create whole worlds in your mind.

I'm not sure if I've explained my question very well so just ask if you're not sure what I meant! :unsure:
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

qwerty
Posts 0
qwerty

03 Feb 2005, 02:25 #2

I think the amount of change, if any, would depend on the individual in question. Somewhere in the book, Cherry tells Ponyboy that Randy will not show for the rumble because he is sick of fighting. Ponyboy wonders how Soda and Steve would react if one of them saw the other killed. He thinks Soda would stop fighting, but that Steve would go on hating and fighting.
I think that all of the Curtis brothers would be changed forever by the tragedies based on their personality descriptions in the book, as well as the change in family dynamics that occurs at the end. Steve, whose "hatred for his father comes out in his soft, bitter voice and the violence of his temper", would probably go on hating and fighting, as Ponyboy described.
I think Two-Bit would be changed. After he and Ponyboy see Johnny's mother at the hospital, there is a catch in his voice and he is described as being "closer to tears" than Ponyboy had ever seen him. And after Dally's body is taken away, Two-Bit gripes about his lost switchblade, commenting with a "quivering sigh" that he wished that was all that bothered him. I think Two-Bit would continue trying to pretend that everything was okay, but that life wouldn't seem as big of a joke to him.
That's as far as I've gotten in this thought process. Hope that answers your question. Nice question by the way. :D

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

03 Feb 2005, 03:01 #3

Pitythebackseat @ Feb 2 2005, 04:43 PM wrote: Sometimes I wonder if S.E Hinton ever sits and wonders what her characters would be like in the future,
Hey pity ;)

I believe S.E.Hinton does, because in Tex Kathy Carlson and Mark Jennings, both from That Was Then This Is Now, they are both grown up. Kathy is a teacher and Mark is a hitchiker and a robber. Ponyboy is featured in That Was Then This Is Now but I don't think he's grown up or anything.

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

04 Feb 2005, 06:15 #4

I think the Curtis brothers would probably change. I mean, I think they would get tired of fighting and just focus on their futures. The death of Johnny opened Pony's eyes, and Dally opened Soda's eyes. I think Darry was getting to the point where he was growing out of fighting.

I can't say much about Steve and Two-Bit, because I can't remember them too much from the book, but from the movie, I think Steve would do anything to show off. Two-Bit would be busy chasing after girls. Haha... :lol:

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

04 Feb 2005, 23:04 #5

Hey Everyone,
I thought about this for awhile and made up a list of the greasers and how I think they would possibly turn out.

Ponyboy- I think Ponyboy would grow up, he would get tired of going through all of these rumbles and arguments with the socs. He is focusing on trying to make the socs and greasers like each other, so there are really no groups. He gets married to Cherry and has three kids. (A bit boring, but oh well!)

Darry- Darry will grow up to be a successful man, he would settle down and marry a girl, get divorced, and marry another girl. He quits his job for a better one that pays more an hour, his brothers and him try not to fight anymore, and to just talk.

Sodapop- Sodapop goes to California to find Sandy, and when they do she has a baby. He doesn't care it's not his, and they go back to Tulsa, where they get married and raises the baby. He moves into his own small house close to the Curtis' house.

Two-Bit- Two-Bit and his kid sister (btw, who is she?!?) get noticed by a social worker, and get put on child support, where the government will pay for them. Two-Bit gets a successful job owning a store, he gets married to Marcia. :P

Steve- Steve is fed up with his parents, so he runs away. The gang knows where he is but won't tell anyone, as they promised not to. Years later, Steve comes back in love, but he doesn't want to get married.

They all basically have to do with business and love, but oh well, it's really boring!!1

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

05 Feb 2005, 03:17 #6

Hayley,
You got a big imagination... :) I was thinking that Ponyboy probably become a writer and Daryl starts his own construction business.

Coolerin_Cade
Posts 0
Coolerin_Cade

09 Feb 2005, 21:40 #7

After I read the book I thought about it too. I thought how the GANG (Band) would look without Johnny and Dallas. And if Ponyboy (and the others) cry somtimes when they think about Johnny (or Dallas). Because they were always 7 persons but now they are only 5. I havent thinking about 20 years later outsiders yet, just how they feel now. (after the deaths)....I think they all are sad and feel incompleted!

I am sorry for my english I am from switzerland (and I am 15)

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

13 Feb 2005, 07:20 #8

Well, I think after Johnny and Dally's death, and if they did have another fight, I'm sure they would think about Dally, because he was into fights.

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

15 Feb 2005, 04:48 #9

ok, here is a twist on what everybody thinks happens to Soda. I was re-reading some of my articles about the Outsiders, and there is a passage in which S.E. Hinton revealed to CT that Soda actually dies shortly after his 18th birthday. The article does not reveal how he died, but that it was a tragic death. I will try to dig this up and confirm the article. Just something to think about. Stay Gold! Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

15 Feb 2005, 04:56 #10

Karen,
Wow, that is interesting... Thanks for sharing that with us.

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

16 Feb 2005, 02:30 #11

Wow. I would love to read that article. Thanks for telling us.
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

16 Feb 2005, 23:43 #12

Soda DIES?!?! :(

17 Feb 2005, 03:31 #13

I think I heard somewhere (perhaps in the outsiders yahoo club) that SE Hinton imagined Soda dying in the Vietnam War.

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

17 Feb 2005, 19:48 #14

I actually started a story on fanfiction.net last month entitled "Ten Years Later." I'm still working on it, but if anyone is interested on my take on things, it's there for the reading. My penname there is the same as my username here. Lots of interesting thoughts out there, though! I'll be posting the fourth chapter of my story probably tomorrow, but for now it is on about the fourth page of the Outsiders book category.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

18 Feb 2005, 03:59 #15

priceless advice @ Feb 17 2005, 03:31 AM wrote: I think I heard somewhere (perhaps in the outsiders yahoo club) that SE Hinton imagined Soda dying in the Vietnam War.
actually, it wasn't "imagination". In reality the boy she had modeled Sodapop from did die in the war not long after the book was published.

She mentioned this somewhere along the line in one interview...I think I also found it in a book on her works that was published in the latter 80's. I have it...I'll look it up.

Cya~ Jenn
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

18 Feb 2005, 05:25 #16

Jenn,
Wow, thanks for letting us know about that. That's interesting. :)

18 Feb 2005, 22:24 #17

Jenn_K @ Feb 17 2005, 10:59 PM wrote: actually, it wasn't "imagination".&nbsp; In reality the boy she had modeled Sodapop from did die in the war not long after the book was published.&nbsp;

She mentioned this somewhere along the line in one interview...I think I also found it in a book on her works that was published in the latter 80's.&nbsp; I have it...I'll look it up.

Cya~ Jenn
Yeah, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

02 Mar 2005, 01:51 #18

I want to know how Soda dies and for real, at least she didn't actually write it, or i would have bawled! :P

17 Jan 2010, 20:15 #19

Let's say they were never dead...How do you think Johnny would turn out? what about Dallas?

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

18 Jan 2010, 00:34 #20

Lol, I just noticed that when I posted on this thread almost five years ago, it was seven days before I discovered I was pregnant with #3.

She's four years old now and is currently eating a bowl of cereal :D.

I'll have to think a bit about the Johnny/Dally question.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

05 Feb 2011, 21:29 #21

I never really thought about it but know that i think of it i think that ponyboy would have grown up and gone to college and sodapop would still be his funny self, iknow dumb right I will think of something better later. :18: :confused:
"Having a brother like Soda your never bored.
~Ponyboy Curtis~