Favorites

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Favorites

California
Posts 0
California

20 Mar 2005, 19:19 #1

What are your favorite parts of the book or movie? Mine is when Ponyboy scares those socs with his brocken pepsi bottle, and then he starts picking up the glass. That kinda made me laugh. And another one of my favorites is just before the rumble when there all doing flips and chanting stuff, Its funny to imagine a tough hood-looking gang doing flips*giggles*

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

21 Mar 2005, 00:46 #2

I have several favourite parts in the book. I love the beginning with Ponyboy talking about the movies and how he enjoys going to see the films and he likes Paul Newman *clearly a boy of good taste*
I also love the bit, I can't remember where but it's near the end when Ponyboy's read the letter from Johnny and he's saying about boys going under streetlights? I can't remember the exact quote but it's powerful.

One of my favourite parts of the movie is the very first bit where you see Two-Bit, actually where you hear his wicked laughter first and then he naughtily whips that girl's skirt up and he laughs when she slaps him.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

21 Mar 2005, 01:25 #3

The part in the book that I find myself re-reading over and over is right after Dally's death, when Ponyboy says that Dally died "violent and young and desperate."

My favorite part in the movie is when Dally is bothering the nurse.^^

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

21 Mar 2005, 01:30 #4

hahahahah the bit when he goes "get out, you make my stomach sick!"

Katie's Rumble Fish site

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

21 Mar 2005, 02:11 #5

Pitythebackseat @ Mar 20 2005, 07:30 PM wrote: hahahahah the bit when he goes "get out, you make my stomach sick!"
Yes, exactly!! lol :D

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

21 Mar 2005, 10:18 #6

in the movie i like it when steve comes with two-bit to visit ponyboy, and steve says "you know like a big shot even....Beer for breakfast there Two-Bit?! it made me crack up, also when Dally fell out of the chair at the nightly double!

Gabby
Posts 0
Gabby

22 Mar 2005, 20:24 #7

Movie favorites are when all the greasers are at home both right after Pony comes home and before the rumble. I think they have a very real feel to them. It reminds me of how all my friends used to come to my house just for a place to be. Interestingly my sons' friends gravitate to my house now too!

Book favorite is the Sodapop scene when he runs away from dinner. Mostly because I saw the movie before I read the book and I fell in love with Soda's character. Then when I was reading the book it didn't end like the movie and I was so excited there was more! Plus the Soda is the nice guy and it breaks my heart when bad things happen to him.

One other book scene that was cool was at the church when Johnny and Pony were talking about who was gallant and they each picked someone different for different reasons. I thought that was a very believable scene.

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

22 Mar 2005, 23:11 #8

Gabby @ Mar 22 2005, 03:24 PM wrote: Movie favorites are when all the greasers are at home both right after Pony comes home and before the rumble. I think they have a very real feel to them.
ditto, movie & book both. I love banter.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

peacenstars
Posts 0
peacenstars

23 Mar 2005, 04:59 #9

Like y'all i loved the part before the rumble when they're all at Ponyboy's house and its just really funny. And the scene at the movie theater! how could i forget that. when Cherry throws the drink on Dallas.

Coolerin_Cade
Posts 0
Coolerin_Cade

26 Mar 2005, 13:29 #10

MY favourite parts of the book are:

At the and when Pony read the letter of Johnny and think about the things and begang to write his story.
When they are in Dallas's car and Dallas speak to Johnny
When Dallas & Pony visit Johnny in the hospital for the last time
And when Dallas died *cries*

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

11 Apr 2005, 23:51 #11

Pitythebackseat @ Mar 20 2005, 07:30 PM wrote: hahahahah the bit when he goes "get out, you make my stomach sick!"
I loved that part is was so funny. That was SE Hinton by the way.

Outsiders_Spazz15
Posts 0
Outsiders_Spazz15

11 Apr 2005, 23:55 #12

Yeah!! That was HILARIOUS! Did you know that the nurse was S.E Hinton? As herself i mean?

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

12 Apr 2005, 00:01 #13

California @ Mar 20 2005, 01:19 PM wrote: What are your favorite parts of the book or movie? Mine is when Ponyboy scares those socs with his brocken pepsi bottle, and then he starts picking up the glass. That kinda made me laugh. And another one of my favorites is just before the rumble when there all doing flips and chanting stuff, Its funny to imagine a tough hood-looking gang doing flips*giggles*
>>I have several favourite parts in the book. I love the beginning with Ponyboy talking about the movies and how he enjoys going to see the films and he likes Paul Newman *clearly a boy of good taste*
I also love the bit, I can't remember where but it's near the end when Ponyboy's read the letter from Johnny and he's saying about boys going under streetlights? I can't remember the exact quote but it's powerful.<<

Yes I love when Ponyboy says those things like, "Southern Gentlemen have nothing on Johnny Cade" and how the whole thing with Dally and Johnny dieing gallant. The book wasn't the best written in English terms, but for a teen like that to write a book like that and she put thought into that book that a forty year old would never be able to think of. How she wrote about the dieing gallant thing and how she made the brothers dialect (like them calling each other honey and stuff) so you see how they took care of each other was so amazing. It is hard to explain. But I like it too when they were chanting and Soda said< "I am a hood...."

Outsiders_Spazz15
Posts 0
Outsiders_Spazz15

12 Apr 2005, 00:10 #14

Yeah that whole "Southern Gentlemen had nothing on Johnny Cade" .... That was really sweet. S.E hinton made the book so...real. I'm tired of those books that everyone is so happy and everything. Sometimes everything doesnt end in happily ever after.

And its kinda sad what happens to pony. He kinda goes...insane. But not like that. More like ... absent-minded.

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

12 Apr 2005, 00:23 #15

Outsiders_Spazz15 @ Apr 11 2005, 06:10 PM wrote: Yeah that whole "Southern Gentlemen had nothing on Johnny Cade" .... That was really sweet. S.E hinton made the book so...real. I'm tired of those books that everyone is so happy and everything. Sometimes everything doesnt end in happily ever after.

And its kinda sad what happens to pony. He kinda goes...insane. But not like that. More like ... absent-minded.
Like I said before that book realy introduced me to reality. People have feelings and emotions even if it doesn't look like it and not everything is perfect, but you have to play the cards you were dealt and try to make something better out of it. That book was really powerful.

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

12 Apr 2005, 09:40 #16

Like i said before, I like it whenn Dally falls out of his chair at the nightly double.

Anna
Posts 0
Anna

12 Apr 2005, 14:49 #17

My favorite parts are all the ones where Soda appears/talks/does something! ;)

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

12 Apr 2005, 15:31 #18

So I'm looking forward to seeing new footage and maybe having new favourite parts!

Katie's Rumble Fish site

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

12 Apr 2005, 22:33 #19

Gabby @ Mar 22 2005, 02:24 PM wrote: Movie favorites are when all the greasers are at home both right after Pony comes home and before the rumble. I think they have a very real feel to them. It reminds me of how all my friends used to come to my house just for a place to be. Interestingly my sons' friends gravitate to my house now too!

Book favorite is the Sodapop scene when he runs away from dinner. Mostly because I saw the movie before I read the book and I fell in love with Soda's character. Then when I was reading the book it didn't end like the movie and I was so excited there was more! Plus the Soda is the nice guy and it breaks my heart when bad things happen to him.

One other book scene that was cool was at the church when Johnny and Pony were talking about who was gallant and they each picked someone different for different reasons. I thought that was a very believable scene.
Yeah me, too. :( I guess al girls gravitate to the sweet bad guys. I love Soda's character. Really all of the Curtis brothers were great characters (more like every character SE Hinton created...) But I also though Dally was great. I mean he was tough, but he really didn't live by what he said (To get hard and emotionless) Like when he is driving Pony to the hospital to go see Johnny it is like he is talking to himself when he said that you need to toughen up (sorry don't have my book with me) instead of Ponyboy.

Anna
Posts 0
Anna

13 Apr 2005, 13:54 #20

Sodapop's_chick @ Apr 12 2005, 05:33 PM wrote: I guess al girls gravitate to the sweet bad guys. I love Soda's character. Really all of the Curtis brothers were great characters
I agree!

Greaser_Gal
Posts 0
Greaser_Gal

13 Apr 2005, 18:20 #21

I think probably one of my favorite parts in the books is right before the rumble. When they're all doing back flips and chanting and stuff. And when Darry is telling Sodapop and Ponyboy to run if the cops come. And Soda stuck his tonue out at Darry. That's probably one of my fave parts. I also really like the part when Ponyboy is reading Johnny's letter. It's really sad but it just makes me think. I like to read books that make me think about things, not just ones with happy endings.

PoNySbAbE
Posts 0
PoNySbAbE

07 May 2005, 20:31 #22

before Ponyboy reads the letter... i dont know how its written in english, but its something like: a friend, who........ is very rare :blink:
in german: Ein freund, der dir zuhört, der dir wirklich zuhört, ist sehr selten...

and the part, when dally dies...

there are so many wonderful parts in the book

yes, and in the movie, when two-bit has the gift for dallas in the hospital and when pony talks to randy, at this moment two-Bit talks to other socs, what hes says there...

thefonze911
Posts 0
thefonze911

23 May 2005, 16:41 #23

I thoguht Dally's death was the most interesting part. I liked the way she wrote it!

oNe TuFF ChiCk
Posts 0
oNe TuFF ChiCk

28 May 2005, 05:10 #24

I like the part where Ponyboy sees his brothers again in the middle of the story, basically because Ponyboy FINALLY realizes that Darry really does love him.

Oh, and the part where the greasers were doing acrobatics and chanting. It cracks me up all the time... :)

Lizzy Jo Curtis
Advanced Member
Lizzy Jo Curtis
Advanced Member

28 May 2005, 11:43 #25

I like the part where Ponyboy sees his brothers again in the middle of the story, basically because Ponyboy FINALLY realizes that Darry really does love him.

Oh, and the part where the greasers were doing acrobatics and chanting. It cracks me up all the time... :)
I loved those parts too :)

I also like the rumble(everything about it ;)) andJohnny's letter :( that was so sad:(
~*Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you*~