Do You Feel Like An Outsider?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Do You Feel Like An Outsider?

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

21 Apr 2005, 17:37 #1

Does anyone else here feel like an outsider besides me? I just wanted to know. I mean, i have plenty of friends. But not any BEST friends! I fell like and outsider all the way!
Reply

FallingForJohnny
Posts 0
FallingForJohnny

21 Apr 2005, 18:07 #2

Yeah
, When I was in 5th class ( well you say "grade") I felt like an outsider, basiclly (sp) because I had no friends. No one liked me because I wrote good grades ( or marks, or whatever you say). you know, when your good at school, they call you, ähm I don't know the english word, but I think you know what i mean!
Reply

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

21 Apr 2005, 18:29 #3

yea, me to. and because of that, my grades began to drop! they're back up now ever since i found The Outsiders! :D
Reply

Outsiders_Spazz15
Posts 0
Outsiders_Spazz15

21 Apr 2005, 19:36 #4

Omg YES! I have friends too...but not really best friends...Not someone that i can REALLY talk to...

ahh this is making me depressed :\
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

21 Apr 2005, 21:08 #5

Yeah, the only person I can really talk to is my sister- my relationship with my sister reminds me of Pony's and Soda's.

But at school, not too many people understand me. I have friends but they seem so distant. I have one best friend and she's great and everything but we're not that close- she doesn't know how much I love The Outsiders or anything. They really know nothing. Everything is too distant, I reckon I'm much closer to my friends on the net than my friends from school.

So yeah, I guess I am an outsider.
Reply

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

25 Apr 2005, 08:54 #6

Because I Love The Outsiders, idon't Know why, but i seem to make people scared of me when i am mad. There is even a rumor about me going around the school that I am a drug dealer and i went to Juvi Hall not to long ago! It is driving me crazy!!! paper
Reply

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Joined: 27 Jan 2005, 14:26

25 Apr 2005, 11:54 #7

I must admit, I do feel like an Outsider as I'm deaf and because of my deafness I had to go to a different high school, then college as everyone else from my primary school so I never really felt comfortable with myself and felt I didn't "fit in". When we reached high school, we had a fantastic english teacher and he was very supportive of my creative work and I got an A+ from working on a creative writing piece on The Outsiders where you had to tell the events in the book from Johnny's point of view. I sort of escaped into books, movies and music a lot. I still do but now I think I'm more comfortable with myself. For some time I felt like I was stuck in a limbo between the deaf and hearing worlds and I didn't fit into both properly.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site
Reply
Like

Greaser_Gal
Posts 0
Greaser_Gal

25 Apr 2005, 19:06 #8

Sometimes i feel like an Outsider but for like different reasons. I have alot of friends and they're great. But I've been threw alot of my life but i guess instead of really talking about it or anything like that i just focused on my school work and joined a whole bunch of clubs. Hence why i have alot of friends. But like alot of my friends have got it pretty easy, and they don't have to worry about alot of stuff that i do. And i guess it's kind of hard to talk to them about alot of stuff that's bothering me. So i just keep it to myself, and they don't really like know about alot of stuff that goes on in my life once i get home.

But finally i met this guy and we became like best friends. For once i could like talk to someone without feeling weird about it. And no one would be like oh i'm sorry he was like oh i know what you mean. But he just recently commited suicide. And it's been like really, really hard. And my other friends didn't know him too good and they don't really understand. Now i feel like I'm back to kind of two lives again.

So yeah at time i feel alot like an Outsider but I'm not really...

I dunno it confuses me... but alot of things confuse me like the Butterfly Effect I'm never gonna understand that movie lol :P
Reply

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

25 Apr 2005, 19:07 #9

Don't worry. I have a friend just like you. She really is nice. Anyway, i do have friends but not real friends, I mean, Like BEST friends.
Reply

PoNySbAbE
Posts 0
PoNySbAbE

07 May 2005, 20:10 #10

No, ive got a best friend. I could talk about every thing with her. I know her for so long...
Reply

Kaycee
Posts 0
Kaycee

08 May 2005, 05:20 #11

I felt like an outsider in high school. I've always had a few close friends, and they were all I needed. I never wanted to have a lot of friends at school. All I wanted was to be treated with respect, and they definately did NOT treat me with respect.
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

08 May 2005, 19:25 #12

Kaycee @ May 7 2005, 11:20 PM wrote: I felt like an outsider in high school. I've always had a few close friends, and they were all I needed. I never wanted to have a lot of friends at school. All I wanted was to be treated with respect, and they definately did NOT treat me with respect.
That's like my friends. They don't understand me or nothing and they just 'forget' about me. What I hate most in the world is lonelyness. I hate being lonely, I don't have to have a lot of people around me, I don't have to have any but if I'm feeling unwanted or whatever, I feel lonely.

When my sister started going out with her boyfriend, I was lonely. She never talked to me like she used to or like she does now. I hated it, it wasn't her fault though. Then I couldn't stand the lonelyness and I cut the top of my arm (just a little cut, deep but not that deep), it didn't hurt or anything. I didn't do it again. I think I did it for attention but the funny thing was that I didn't tell anyone- attention?! Yeah right. I dunno, it was odd. I told my sister weeks later. It was the lonelyness though.

I'm telling ya, I don't know where I'd be without my family. My sister is like my best friend. I can tell her everything and I know she wouldn't judge me for it and she always helps me and understands me. I wish I had some friends at school like that. My best friends are the ones off the net, they really are. I'm really close to them and they're the best friends a person can have.

Too be honest, I think everyone is an outsider to each other.
Reply

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

11 May 2005, 22:23 #13

Steve'sgirl4ever @ Apr 21 2005, 11:37 AM wrote: Does anyone else here feel like an outsider besides me? I just wanted to know. I mean, i have plenty of friends. But not any BEST friends! I fell like and outsider all the way!
It is weird. I have a best friend and I knew her since pre-school, but I can't tell her some things. I mean i tell her a lot of stuff, but i keep so much to myself. I seem more open with people I know over the computer because if they judge me, who cares, i don't personally see them or anything so I have strong friendships through the computer. Like i can't tell my best friend that even though right now I don't want a boyfriend because well all the guys are 13 or 14 at my school so really going out with some is really just to say you have a boyfriend, sometimes I just want to be loved my someone ese other than my family, you know? I don't really feel like I belong anywhere and I look at Ponyboy and I think to myself, "Well in a way he is lucky because he has that close group of friends". I guess it is all I want, a group of close friends. Sure i have one or two, but I don't really have anyone else. Whenever my parents talk about growing up in their neighborhoods and how they went all over the place with their friends I get envious. No one in my neighborhood even knows each other. I get lonely.
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

12 May 2005, 07:16 #14

Sodapop's_chick @ May 11 2005, 04:23 PM wrote: It is weird. I have a best friend and I knew her since pre-school, but I can't tell her some things. I mean i tell her a lot of stuff, but i keep so much to myself. I seem more open with people I know over the computer because if they judge me, who cares, i don't personally see them or anything so I have strong friendships through the computer. Like i can't tell my best friend that even though right now I don't want a boyfriend because well all the guys are 13 or 14 at my school so really going out with some is really just to say you have a boyfriend, sometimes I just want to be loved my someone ese other than my family, you know? I don't really feel like I belong anywhere and I look at Ponyboy and I think to myself, "Well in a way he is lucky because he has that close group of friends". I guess it is all I want, a group of close friends. Sure i have one or two, but I don't really have anyone else. Whenever my parents talk about growing up in their neighborhoods and how they went all over the place with their friends I get envious. No one in my neighborhood even knows each other. I get lonely.
That's exactly what it's like. No one knows each other. No one. It's like you live in a neighborhood full of people, but half of them are your enemies who insult you for no reason when you walk home from school- probs because you go to a different school (my life! *sigh* they're prejudice kids), and the other half doesn't even know you exist and you don't know they exist.

It is true though. On the net you can form really close friendships because you can tell people stuff. It's the same with my friends. I wont tell them that I'm planning on acting when I grow up and planning on doing auditions and that I'm deadly serious, I wont tell them half of my life.


I'll edit later, if I don't get to school on time, I will be killed.
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

13 May 2005, 15:23 #15

Sorry to moan but I need advice.

My friend is completely imaged-based and is obsessed with what she eats but now she's started to get obsessed with what I eat. Yesterday I had some Pepsi, she looked on the back where it has the ingredience and stuff, threw it at me and shouted grose. It's getting out of control. She's like a stick. Anyways, she also called me and my friend fat- we're not skiiny, but we're not fat and she called us fat again today. I don't know what to do because she was suposed to be my best friend but I dunno, it's as if we're drifting apart and stuff.
Reply

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

14 May 2005, 23:17 #16

mel @ May 13 2005, 09:23 AM wrote: Sorry to moan but I need advice.

My friend is completely imaged-based and is obsessed with what she eats but now she's started to get obsessed with what I eat. Yesterday I had some Pepsi, she looked on the back where it has the ingredience and stuff, threw it at me and shouted grose. It's getting out of control. She's like a stick. Anyways, she also called me and my friend fat- we're not skiiny, but we're not fat and she called us fat again today. I don't know what to do because she was suposed to be my best friend but I dunno, it's as if we're drifting apart and stuff.
Well, I would tell someone about her eating and what she is doing, like a school counselor. I have a friend who's other friends all of a sudden didn't talk to her and she took them to the counselor and now they talk. I would do that. It is helpimg her and you.
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

15 May 2005, 11:18 #17

She'd speak to me even less than she does now. I might confront her about it but then it could go either way really. I'm telling you, the other day she only ate a carrot for her dinner, like a carrot. I mean that's not exactly good for you is it. She's just become more distant and everything and so much more imaged-based. It's unbeliavable man. Thanks anyways.
Reply

California
Posts 0
California

15 May 2005, 13:55 #18

No one ever really understood me, but I was use to it because in my family most of the time no one would even hear me. I was OK with it for a while but then it just made me really depressed because I didn't have a real close friend I could tell anything too. Then me and guy I knew(not too well, like we grew up together but I really never paid any attention to him) started talking a lot and he told me he felt the same way. We always talk now and its great because we both have real creative minds and no one usually knows what we're talking about; so we laugh at them :lol: lol.
Reply

mel
Posts 0
mel

16 May 2005, 15:37 #19

Things were okay with my friend, I guess. We didn't mention it. But it really annoys me because they're always nasty because I like Tom Cruise and then they nearly freaked when they found out I liked him not only because of his looks- actually they burst out laughing. :( I've realised something though, it doesn't matter that it's Tom. It would be the same if I really liked Will Smith or Brad Pitt. I'm sick of them.
Reply

Black Hunter
Posts 0
Black Hunter

19 May 2005, 07:05 #20

i have always felt like an outsider. i have absolutely no friends that i see on a regular basis. but i don't mind it, i've always been that way.
Reply

thefonze911
Posts 0
thefonze911

22 May 2005, 22:17 #21

Well as i look through this page i see a lot of people of who feel they are outsiders! Well i have a question if thier is so many of us then are we REALLY outsiders?
Reply

PoNySbAbE
Posts 0
PoNySbAbE

24 May 2005, 17:52 #22

thefonze911 @ May 22 2005, 04:17 PM wrote: Well as i look through this page i see a lot of people of who feel they are outsiders! Well i have a question if thier is so many of us then are we REALLY outsiders?
I dont know, how they feel, because i never felt this way...but i can understand what they mean...
I'm not a fanatic fan of anybody...(like tom cruise, brad pitt, or so) but, i dont think that my friends would laugh...

When I think of an outsider, I think of somebody, who has got no friends, an stands always alone their...

I never thaught, that somebody would discribe himself as an outsider, because he has no best friend.
But i understand, what they mean. To have a person, with that you can talk about everything is not as often as some people think...
hm... so many outsiders?... maybe yes, but not just here... their are much many "outsiders" then you think of....
you dont see it at first...

When you discribe an outsider as a person, who dont has a person, to that she/he is pretty close, then there are many outsiders!!...

But when you discribe an outsider like a person, who has got no friends, and sits always home alone...
I dont think that everyboy, who discribes himself as an outsider here, would be an outsider like this...

I hope you understand what i wanted to say
Reply

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

01 Feb 2006, 00:50 #23

Steve'sgirl4ever @ Apr 21 2005, 11:37 AM wrote: Does anyone else here feel like an outsider besides me? I just wanted to know. I mean, i have plenty of friends. But not any BEST friends! I fell like and outsider all the way!
@ the moment yes. i just lost someone very special 2 me. it wuz like she wuz all i had
Reply

shadowedwolf
Posts 0
shadowedwolf

01 Feb 2006, 01:08 #24

I have in the past. That was the part of the appeal from the very beginning for me, once I'd read it. It really spoke to me. I'm not 'weird', per se, but I won't conform to others' values or ideas, if it compromises who I am. There are people who wanted me to do that in certain schools I attended, and for a while, I was friendless. That being alone, left out for being myself -- that was one of the most miserable feelings in the world.

Luckily, I've found a few really great friends, and am happier than I've ever been.
Reply

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

01 Feb 2006, 18:10 #25

I was definetly an outsider in highschool for the same reason I didn't conform to what everyone else thought was cool, sexy and stuff. Frankily, I wasn't gonna be something I wasn't and they didn't like that plus I was like mondo shy, kinda ugly and a tomboy. Which did make me an outsider. Used to get bullied and picked on. When people were too busy with the lastest music and fads I was writing and Reading. Which is aparently considered dorky. NOW I take pride in it, if they don't like it, well then. *insert colourful language* I was so happy when I finally graduated outta of highschool. Didn't have many friends either, just a handful and that was only during the last two years of highschool.

College is great though. I adore it. You don't have to conform to things you don't like to fit in, mostly everyone accepts you just the way you are.
Reply