Do You Ever Find Yourslef Talking Like Them?

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Do You Ever Find Yourslef Talking Like Them?

equestriangurl
Posts 0
equestriangurl

23 Jun 2007, 03:46 #1

I know I do! Hlaf my friends [im the only one in my 'group' that has read the book, dont completley understand my language. Like all sart talking and all of a a suddne Ill say ' I sure as heck dont want to eb the one to get that kid bugged, he'll beat the tar out of me' abd theyll all be like huh? The ill try to say somthing that sounds sorta like '60s' or that alteast how they put it. Theyll say "Aly, newsflash, your not int he book anymore!" The Ill snap back to reality. Is anyone else like me? reader

ponyboylover20
Advanced Member
ponyboylover20
Advanced Member

26 Jun 2007, 13:00 #2

Yes! i am. I'm always quoting things. In real life i'll be like to my friend Anna who's scared of heights to jump off something " Come on Anna! Do it for johnny!" And i'll also say stuff up there as you said. I find it really fun. In my 'group' everyone's read it, 3 of us are obsessed with it though.
"I don't think it's too hot of an idea" - Ponyboy Curtis

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

27 Jun 2007, 04:03 #3

it depends who im with. when im with my family, ill do it infront of my sister. but out with friends, for some reason i speak normal. i talk about it infront of them all the time though. :)

Keira
Posts 0
Keira

27 Jun 2007, 05:08 #4

I used to do it more than I do now. I think everyone goes through a phase, especially in junior high and high school, where they'll speak like their friends do, or they'll speak like what is most commonly engrained in their minds. I read the book over and over and over and over and over between my 7th and 10th grade years, and it wasn't uncommon for me to say things like, "Off your rocker" or "beat the tar out of him" or "You dig?" and "I know the score, alright?"

Eventually I started to realize that I kinda sounded dumb, even to my own ears. Not to say that people who go around talking like this are dumb, but in a modern day context it seems a little silly to talk like you're in the sixties. Just imagine if you were obsessed with the books Roots or Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, and you went around speaking like a slave or a previously enslaved black person. I think it'd sound kinda funny, but that's my opinion, LOL.

But yes, even to this day I have to get my two-bits in and give in to my 60's, southern, alternative world, every once in a while :)

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

27 Jun 2007, 12:29 #5

Sometimes I catch myself using a phrase from the movie, and I hear others do it too. Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

28 Jun 2007, 19:15 #6

I quote the book all the time but my friends already think I'm a nutcase who's obsessed with My Chemical Romance and Sodapop. Talking like this is one of the more "normal" things I do.

ponyboylover20
Advanced Member
ponyboylover20
Advanced Member

29 Jun 2007, 00:32 #7

Victoria_Curtis @ Jun 28 2007, 01:15 PM wrote: my friends already think I'm a nutcase who's obsessed with My Chemical Romance and Sodapop. Talking like this is one of the more "normal" things I do.
haha, yeah same with my friends. Well, actually people that aren't even really my friends, know i love the outsiders. So when i'm talking like them/about them, it's pretty much normal for them.
"I don't think it's too hot of an idea" - Ponyboy Curtis

MyPaperHeartxx
Advanced Member
MyPaperHeartxx
Advanced Member

29 Jun 2007, 20:42 #8

Yes I do, sometimes.

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

05 Jul 2007, 06:28 #9

I can't really think of a time that I've ever actually quoted The Outsiders... LOL
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

xXMakesMeWonderXx
Posts 0
xXMakesMeWonderXx

10 Jul 2007, 17:40 #10

i always quote any memorable phrase from anything i watch or read. the same way with my friends. most of our conversations are mainly consisted of quotes.

greasergirl815
Posts 0
greasergirl815

11 Jul 2007, 05:54 #11

After I got the movie I watched it sooo many times I had a southern accent for a day or so. It's actually kinda sad...LOL but I do quote the book alot. But everyones gotten used to it.

#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member
#1 outsiders fan
Advanced Member

11 Jul 2007, 07:27 #12

For some reason I had always talked like them, I guess I picked it up from my dad, he talks alot like them. So i didn't pick up anything new.
"Man that was a tuff car, mustangs are tuff"

~Summer Nicole~

29 Jan 2009, 00:46 #13

Thats exactly how I am!!

I live in northern minnesota and NOBODY talks like that, but i do thanks to S.E. Hinton books and movies! hahah my mom was getting a speeding ticket I was going on about the "fuzz" and my mom was like "what it a fuzz!?" It's terrible half the time my family doesnt have any idea what I'm saying...
but I like it :)
“You get tough like me and you don’t get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothin’ can touch you…

Dramalover

22 Feb 2009, 15:23 #14

My mom and I have this thing that whenever we see cops, I go, "It's the fuzz!" I'll talk about the book to my brother...even though I know he doesn't care. Ans, when I'm talking to my friend from quizilla.com we'll use tuff. It's just too bad that my Southern accent sucks,so now I can't annoy my mom and dad.
You're gold when you're a kid, like green.-Johnny Cade, The Outsiders

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

15 Jul 2009, 09:38 #15

Funnily enough I find myself doing that from time to time and it's all the more strange because everybody around expects me to talk german. So I talk to the dog instead :-D.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

01 Jan 2010, 01:59 #16

Yep, that's definitey me. Every time I spot a really cool car, I gawk and mutter in awe, "Man, that's one TUFF car..." And the likes, you know? The boys' slang really got to me and for about two or three months now I'm head-over-heels in love with the book and movie.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

02 Jan 2010, 05:14 #17

Wow no way so there are other people doing the same thing!! I'm not the only one! Yea I do that all the time, saying tuff and fuzz and my FAVORITE quote: then pity the back seat :) I love talking like them it drives my little sister mad. She thinks I've gone crazy or something, being OBSESSED with the book. :P
And my friend thinks I need help. I am always talking about the book and the characters and stuff, and talking like them only gets her worried. My parents think I have a problem. :) That's all right, I lone it. No one understands how important The Outsiders really means to me.
I'm glad for this forum!! I love it! There are people here who love the book and connect with it like I do! Yay!
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

03 Jan 2010, 05:44 #18

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 1 2010, 11:14 PM wrote: Wow no way so there are other people doing the same thing!! I'm not the only one! Yea I do that all the time, saying tuff and fuzz and my FAVORITE quote: then pity the back seat :) I love talking like them it drives my little sister mad. She thinks I've gone crazy or something, being OBSESSED with the book. :P
And my friend thinks I need help. I am always talking about the book and the characters and stuff, and talking like them only gets her worried. My parents think I have a problem. :) That's all right, I lone it. No one understands how important The Outsiders really means to me.
I'm glad for this forum!! I love it! There are people here who love the book and connect with it like I do! Yay!
You got that right! My friends think I've got problems too, like I'm off my rocker or somethin'. Especially when I go about saying how amazing Rob and Ralph were.... Hah, and my folks give me strange looks everytime I pop in the DVD (which is almost every other day). Maybe I AM out of my mind, but y'know what? I don't give a hang. I love that book, I love the movie, and I love the actors. LONG LIVE THE OUTSIDERS, BABY!!! :20: <3

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

04 Jan 2010, 22:07 #19

Whoo AMEN!!!!!

Everyone thinks I'm pretty much a lunatic, but who cares???!!! :D
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:40 #20

DITTO, GIRL! A-WHOOO!!!

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2010, 00:06 #21

Luckily I talk like them naturally! I don't have to try to talk in their accent.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 02:11 #22

Luckily I talk like them naturally! I don't have to try to talk in their accent.
Lucky you! But it is fun to try to talk in different accents though :D
I really am tryin' to get this Oklahoma accent down........

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 09:19 #23

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 14 2010, 08:11 PM wrote:
Man, you are one lucky girl, Sodapop127! thebiggestoutsidersfan, keep at it! You'll get the accent perfect sometime. Now, time for ME to work on it. :P

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

15 Jan 2010, 23:40 #24

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 14 2010, 08:11 PM wrote:
I know right? I live in the south part of the United States so everybody here talks like that. It's a good place XD
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

16 Jan 2010, 01:04 #25

thebiggestoutsidersfan, keep at it! You'll get the accent perfect sometime. Now, time for ME to work on it. :P

LOL thanks for the encouragment, johnnyandsodalover4life! :)

I know right? I live in the south part of the United States so everybody here talks like that. It's a good place XD

It IS a good place!! I wanna be there so bad right now.