Disappointed?

Discussion, info, and questions pertaining to the 1990 short lived television series which aired on Fox TV channel.

Disappointed?

MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member
MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member

08 Feb 2005, 22:52 #1

Were any of you(this pertains to the older group) disappointed when you heard there was going to be an Outsiders tv series? Did you think, "There's no way they could make a movie that great into a tv series. It wouldn't be good at all." And if so, did it turn out you were wrong? I've never gotten the chance to see any of the tv series, but if the movie was made in 2003, instead of '83, I'd be mad if years later they'd make it into a tv series. Kinda like having a sequel. Filmmakers have been making too many sequels to classic movies. They can't beat the first. Even though, some of them have been good. I'd be furious if they made a sequel to The Outsiders because I know they wouldn't be able to have the same actors(especially now considering they're all a lot older). Any thoughts or comments?
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.-The Fray "All at Once"

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

09 Feb 2005, 01:00 #2

For the most part (about 99.99% of the time, actually) sequels end up being bad. ((Grease 2) *shudders*) I haven't seen the TV series, so I can't make any kind of judgement on it. (I want to see it, though) I remember a while ago, though, (some time in 2004, I think) there were rumors of a remake of The Outsiders. Of course, I was scared. Fortunately, nothing happened.

Hayley
Posts 0
Hayley

09 Feb 2005, 01:13 #3

Grease is WAY better then the sequel, but the really rare movie "Scarlett" is the sequel to "Gone With The Wind" (Both are onb ook, too.) And I'd say that Scarlett is a bit better, actually.

qwerty
Posts 0
qwerty

09 Feb 2005, 02:08 #4

I've never actually seen the television series of The Outsiders and never wanted to for the reasons Meghan stated. Now, if they had tried to make a sequel shortly after the movie came out, I would've been interested, even if the sequel was bad. I just can't imagine other actors playing those parts. No matter how well they could act, it just wouldn't be the same.

Leigh

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

09 Feb 2005, 20:14 #5

Now, see, whenever I envision The Outsiders, unlike a lot of people, I see S.E. Hinton's description of them. (Even though I saw the movie before the book) Not the actors. So the movie wasn't the same as the book, and I'm sure the TV series wouldn't be the same as the movie. Although the TV series is probably not as good to the movie, I'd be open to it.

greaser_girl
Supreme Member
greaser_girl
Supreme Member

27 Feb 2005, 20:32 #6

Reading everyone's comments to this question got me thinking. Many ppl have stated that they can not picture anyone else playing these characters except for the original cast of the movie. What if they made a sequel with the same actors and progressed the characters to the age of the actors. I think it would be kind of cool to see where these characters ended up and what they turned into. But then again, it might ruin the ideas that everyone has. Everyone has an idea of what they became and if there was a movie it would only reflect one person's idea and many ppl would be disappointed.
Greaser Girl - Stay Gold Greasers

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

02 Mar 2005, 01:25 #7

I think it's better just to let everyone have their own ideas about what happens to the characters...I think a sequel would ruin it.

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

02 Mar 2005, 04:39 #8

I definitely think a sequel would ruin the special-ness of this film.
I wish Hollywood wouldn't have to make franchises or remakes all the time, can't they just make some new films?!
But no rant for me here, heh. I'll say I was a bit shocked when I found out about this TV show and horrified at the cast pictures but once I'd got over the shock of seeing Deputy Dewey Riley from Scream as my beloved Two-Bit, I began to reconsider that it wouldn't be such a bad idea, seeing how they'd evolved these characters, plus Francis was still on board and it was a hit so it can't have been alllll bad,surely?
Then I saw David Arquette in a made for tv movie about 50's hoods and it was directed by Robert Rodriguez, I only saw the last half of the movie but it included out-takes with the credits and one particular scene was Arquette driving down a highway, trying to flip a cigarette into his mouth, and failing time after time, and he threw his head back nd laughed uproariously. I think I could see him as a Two-Bit character now, so now I REALLY want to see this show! We'll have to wait and see, I think if the film's dvd ever gets re-released, then there would be more demand for the television show series?
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

03 Mar 2005, 00:31 #9

I'm very curious to see what the TV series is all about...

For now I guess I'll have to entertain myself with what TV Obscurities gives us.

PS.-Can you tell me the name of that movie??

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

03 Mar 2005, 00:40 #10

here's an IMDB link, it's called Roadracers :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111002/

now I want to rent it again to see if it's any good, I adore the 50s, and "rebel" movies, the music and the look of the teenagers then, aw!

Katie's Rumble Fish site

JamesDeanismygod
Posts 0
JamesDeanismygod

03 Mar 2005, 01:50 #11

Me too!

Ever since I read The Outsiders three years ago, I've become enfatuated with the 50's (yes I know it takes place in 1966--it's the whole 50's feel of the movie, I guess)

I would suggest, if you haven't already seen Rebel Without a Cause, American Graffitti, and Crybaby.

I'm into the music too^^

California
Posts 0
California

03 Mar 2005, 23:58 #12

I'd love to watch the TV series. Mainly to see Scout :) She seems so cool and I always wanted to see a greaser girl(that may sound really odd but its true). I think they should remake the TV series, maybe make it last longer.. I can't see a remake of the movie though, or even a sequal the actors just wouldnt be the same.

Kimmie05
Posts 0
Kimmie05

28 Apr 2005, 03:07 #13

At first, I wasn't disapppointed. I was excited. When the extra characters were added to the series - I was a little disappointed. It was weird to see new actors/actresses replacing the ones from the movie. I knew it had to happen, because the original actors/actresses were getting older and moving onto bigger projects. :(

Sodapop's_chick
Posts 0
Sodapop's_chick

02 May 2005, 00:47 #14

JamesDeanismygod @ Feb 8 2005, 07:00 PM wrote: For the most part (about 99.99% of the time, actually) sequels end up being bad. ((Grease 2) *shudders*) I haven't seen the TV series, so I can't make any kind of judgement on it. (I want to see it, though) I remember a while ago, though, (some time in 2004, I think) there were rumors of a remake of The Outsiders. Of course, I was scared. Fortunately, nothing happened.
Yep Grease 2 was awful. And they completely ruined the Rocky movies. I mean they made like a hundred! Sequels...ick. Some things must be left to the imagination.

Ga Greaser
Posts 0
Ga Greaser

25 May 2005, 02:49 #15

They would ruin it if there was a sequel to the movie. Noone in my mind could play these characters now. Have to agree Grease 2 was horrible. I remember liking the tv show and seeing where the characters would go. But I don't see them putting another one on tv. I also agree Hollywood needs to come up with some new ideas and quit remaking everything. I mean just look at what they are doing to The Dukes Of Hazzard! Jessica Simpson didn't even dye her hair for the role of Daisy!

rcsbutterfly
Posts 0
rcsbutterfly

16 Jul 2005, 01:24 #16

Hi to all, I am probably one of the oldest "outsiders" fans. I was in my mid 20's when the tv series was on. I never missed a show. The thing about the show was that it had nothing to do with the book really. It was very heavily done on the curtis family dynamics. The nice thing was that they finally fleshed Darry out alittle more. All the actors were "newbies" even David Arquette at the time. They were all very ordinary looking. Soda's character became very whiney. I didn't like him at all. Two-bit character was pretty much a goof ball with no profound thoughts at all. Darry and Ponyboy were good characters and the Steve character I think was the best "book-like" of them all. He had a lot onstage time. My favorite character of the show was "Scout". She was played really well and since she was created sort of on the fly, she could interact really well with all of them. There was no preconceived notions about her. Same for the Tim Shepard character. OMG was he good looking. Whew! The very first scene of the first show was all the boys standing around Dally's grave as if they had just buried him. There was never so much as one mention of Johnny at all in the entire tv series. I am actually glad about this because I think it would have ruined it. Anyway I did tape a few episodes but they are really grainy and hard to watch. I think the reason that the show failed was because it was on on Sunday night at like 7:00. A really terrible timeslot :( :( . Nothing in tv has ever suceeded at that time. So it was sort of doomed from the beginning. lisa

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

16 Jul 2005, 01:48 #17

"The very first scene of the first show was all the boys standing around Dally's grave as if they had just buried him"

*sniffs* Now I don't know if I want to watch it! I have the pilot episode on videotape. I really should watch it someday! :unsure:

Katie's Rumble Fish site

rcsbutterfly
Posts 0
rcsbutterfly

16 Jul 2005, 10:41 #18

hi to all, I am sooo sorry that I sort of ruined it for you. That was not my intention at all. There seems to be so many people who haven't seen it and probably won't get to. :unsure: :( I did actually like the show after I got over it not being like the book. lisa

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

16 Jul 2005, 13:00 #19

rcsbutterfly @ Jul 16 2005, 01:24 AM wrote: ... There was never so much as one mention of Johnny at all in the entire tv series...
actually, there was. One small bit where Pony does tell scout about Johnny.

Here's the quote:
Ponyboy: Johnny was my best friend.
Scout: What happened to him?
Ponyboy: He died. In a fire. ...I got out in time. ...But he didn't. ...So dawn goes down to day... Nothing gold can stay.

That's on IMDb.com and I remember seeing it but don't recall what episode. I remember they're standing on a railroad track or train trestle or something along those lines.

Look for the ep that shows Scout and Pony hanging out in a train caboose...he also says something along the lines of "Johnny and me used to come here...".

Hope that helped!!
coffee time for Jenn now...
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

16 Jul 2005, 18:37 #20

those are terrible lines. makes it sound like it was the fire that killed Johnny, and not a broken back.
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

16 Jul 2005, 19:16 #21

Ces @ Jul 16 2005, 06:37 PM wrote: those are terrible lines. makes it sound like it was the fire that killed Johnny, and not a broken back.
I agree...
and I think they should've developed that more; the correlation between Johnny and Scout as his 'replacement' best friend for Pony.
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

rcsbutterfly
Posts 0
rcsbutterfly

17 Jul 2005, 00:35 #22

hi to all, I often wondered if there was some Hollywood polotics (?sp) going on about the tv series. It was on a full first season and then it was picked up for the second season but it was only on now and then. Not every week. It seems that the first season it was on on Sunday at 7 which as I have said before, is a horrible time slot. When it came back around, I think it was on on Friday evening or Sat evening. Neither one of these is a particularly good time slot either. I wonder if perhaps Frances Ford had enough clout to get it on the air but, perhaps was in the "doghouse" or something with the hollywood set, and therefore got the most terrible timeslots available on the then fledgling "Fox" tv station. I do believe that if it had had a better time slot (Thursday at 8 perhaps) it would have done much better. It really was not a bad show. lisa

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

04 Jan 2010, 10:40 #23

Ces @ Jul 16 2005, 12:37 PM wrote: those are terrible lines. makes it sound like it was the fire that killed Johnny, and not a broken back.
Ya got THAT right! The whole series is horrible, too. I think they should have just left the story where it was meant to be cut off. No tv shows; just the book and movie.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

08 Jan 2010, 01:08 #24

Eh yea I thought the tv series was sooooo bad! I saw only the intro episode online and I wanted to puke!! I don't want to see the rest! It was horrible! That's not how I imagined the characters!!! That's not how they were supposed to be!! Ah! I wish I never saw it! They totally ruined the original Outsiders message!
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

15 Jan 2010, 09:14 #25

"Ruined"? "Slaughtered" is a better word here, I think.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel