Did You Cry?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Did You Cry?

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

12 Mar 2007, 14:12 #1

Did you cry while reading the book or just in general about the Outsiders

For me its when I found out Sodapop died in the vietnam war I cried I read a fanfiction last night about him going off to vietnam and dying I cried and cried and went to bed at the 3 in the morning because I couldnt stop crying I tried reading The Outsiders(reading makes me sleepy) I got up to page 8 and Ponyboy was describing Sodapop and how he loved him more then anyone else. :(

The other part is more obvious I cried when Johnny and Dallas died but not as bad as I cried for Sodapop. :(

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

12 Mar 2007, 15:01 #2

Honestly, I have never cried reading the Outsiders the book. I was thirteen when I read it, and if I remember correctly, I just sat there with my eyes bugging out of my head in sheer amazement because I had just finished the best book in the world. No tears though. There are a few fan fics that made me cry a couple of times though, those are always the best ones. ^_^
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Ming_Shu12
Posts 0
Ming_Shu12

12 Mar 2007, 15:19 #3

I cried a little when I first read The Outsiders in grade 8. I don't cry when I read it now, though.

I cried during the movie as well when I watched it in class (after I finished reading the book). I think it was the scene where Johnny dies. And I also think the music is sad. I love 'Stay Gold' by Stevie Wonder.

So yeah, I did cry. But not anymore. Maybe only when I watch the movie, because the movie has sad music and all.

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

12 Mar 2007, 15:53 #4

I cried. I've only read The Outsiders twice - I've been wanting to read it again for some while now. I was in grade 8 when I read it last, now being in grade 12, I'd like to read it again to see if I learn anything new from it.

I'm curious to see if I still cry!
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

12 Mar 2007, 16:20 #5

Not then, I cry now because I can Imagine Johnny or Dallas being my son or someone I know, not bawl or anything (Unless I'm a bit depressed already.) but a few tears.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

englishteacher
Advanced Member
englishteacher
Advanced Member

12 Mar 2007, 16:33 #6

I read the book twice as a young person, once in 6th grade and once in 10th grade. I cried very hard when I read it the second time. I just felt very connected to the characters. Also, I was pretty unhappy as a teenager, and I think I could relate to some of the things the characters were feeling.

Last year, when I taught the book for the first time, I made sure to announce to my students it was okay to cry, and we were not to make fun of anyone who felt like they wanted to cry. I read the book aloud to them, so I am there when they find out about Johnny and Dallas. A few did cry, but I was very proud that the whole class was very respectful.

I have cried during many books. I think I am just that way!

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

12 Mar 2007, 16:55 #7

Yeah i cry at the drop of a hat now. Adds on telly, sad music vidoes, books. songs I could cry at anything. I was the oppisite when I was a teenager, I didn't even cry at my grand parents funeral. I just didn't cry in public. I used to listen to depressing music instead.
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

13 Mar 2007, 01:43 #8

honestly, i read the book last and once this year, but no i never cried. i read the book and when johnny died my heart sank. then when dally died i was numbed with shock.

Cole
Posts 0
Cole

13 Mar 2007, 03:00 #9

I honestly i cried the first time i read this book. I only cried when Dallas and Johnny Died though but Dallys death wasnt expected (is now of course i mean you've read the book) And i cried at the end of the book beacuse it was the end of the book. But i dont cry andymore.

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

13 Mar 2007, 20:22 #10

No, I didn't cry. I was more annoyed about Dally's and Johnny's deaths. Cause it wasn't fair, LOL.

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

13 Mar 2007, 20:32 #11

Ryker @ Mar 13 2007, 03:22 PM wrote: No, I didn't cry. I was more annoyed about Dally's and Johnny's deaths. Cause it wasn't fair, LOL.
LOL For some reason, I laughed really, really hard at that quote. ^_^
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

13 Mar 2007, 20:37 #12

Im surprised at how many people didnt cry the first time my friends who read the book all cried. I was the only one who did cry while watching the movie especially when hes reading the letter and you see Dally with the sunglasses on.

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

13 Mar 2007, 20:42 #13

_stella @ Mar 13 2007, 08:32 PM wrote: LOL For some reason, I laughed really, really hard at that quote. ^_^
Hahaha, glad I could make you laugh =)

But it's true I was so annoyed that they died. After all that build up. Oh well, LOL.

Johnny's Angel
Posts 0
Johnny's Angel

14 Mar 2007, 00:15 #14

I never cried while reading the book, but I've cried everytime I watch the movie and Dally and Johnny die. :( It's just really too sad.

I've never cried while reading the book, though.

Kayla
Posts 0
Kayla

19 Mar 2007, 00:12 #15

Yeah I did, I cried when Johnny died.. it was really sad.. I'm pretty emotional though, I cry in movies alot, never books though.. so it was sort of weird crying in a book for the first time haha. It was so sad though.

sodapopz
Posts 0
sodapopz

20 Mar 2007, 00:25 #16

o my!!
i DEFINATELY cried while reading the book!!
I was 12 and it got to the part where Soda and Darry are re-united with Pony in the hospital and Pony hugs Darry and Darry says "i thought we lost you like we had mom and dad" and Pony realizes Darry really did care about him.

I cried from that point on.
Which made reading it kinda hard, since it was all blurry. LOL.

i cry easy.

i cried when i saw the movie too. even though i already knew what was going to happen.

i cried alot when i saw the spec ed. verision.
i cried at the part Two-Bit shouted at Johnny's mom - Emilio did awesome in that part, makes me cry every time i see it.
and i cried when Soda ran off and Pony caught up to him - Rob Lowe is awesome.

sodapopz
Posts 0
sodapopz

20 Mar 2007, 00:34 #17

oh, what was the title of the fanfic you read?
i wrote a story about Soda going to Nam on fanfiction.net.
it's called "Walk a Mile in Soda's Shoes"

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

20 Mar 2007, 01:13 #18

sodapopz @ Mar 19 2007, 06:34 PM wrote: oh, what was the title of the fanfic you read?
i wrote a story about Soda going to Nam on fanfiction.net.
it's called "Walk a Mile in Soda's Shoes"
It was called Ghost of You by Shinigamigrl9.

sodapopz
Posts 0
sodapopz

25 Mar 2007, 02:36 #19

Cool, i'm gonna go bookmark it and read it.

-Mandii-
Posts 0
-Mandii-

11 May 2007, 01:20 #20

LOL.. yaa i cried.. i cried after i finished the book @ home and i cried after seeing the movie.. i luv Stay Gold by Stevie Wonder.. that song is soo good witht he movie and.. yaa definitly some emotional moments in this story =P

darrylover11
Posts 0
darrylover11

11 May 2007, 21:27 #21

:( yeah i cryed when Johnny died we just finished reading the book last week.

greasergirl815
Posts 0
greasergirl815

11 May 2007, 22:38 #22

I cried when I read the book, I was sick when we read the chapters where Johnny and Dal die. So my friend brought me a copy of the book from school to read at home. I am SO glad I read it alone, I hate it when people see me cry. I used to cry alot and now I only do if I am REALLY hurt by something. When I saw the movie, I just lost it when the part with the letter comes on-then I decided to draw some pictures of the guys [[drawing makes me happy]] LOL I rarely draw Steve for some reason...well if you want to see some of the pics go to www.deviantart.com/sodasgirl815 .....I can never read fanfics involving Nam with Soda-cause I don't wanna be all sad.

Reba182
Posts 0
Reba182

24 May 2007, 13:51 #23

When I read the book (and I often read it or bits from it several times a week) i cried so much my parents banned me from reading it or watching the film because I got so upset! reader

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

25 May 2007, 22:34 #24

Reba182 @ May 24 2007, 07:51 AM wrote: When I read the book (and I often read it or bits from it several times a week) i cried so much my parents banned me from reading it or watching the film because I got so upset! reader
Awwwwww

My mom just looked at me and shook her head she expected it with me. :rolleyes:

greaserlove
Posts 0
greaserlove

06 Oct 2007, 16:50 #25

I cry every time when the part with Johnny's Letter comes. In the book and the movie...Even talking about it sometimes.
At least your mom only banned you because you cried in it;
My mom threatened to burn it, threatened to throw it away, and break the dvd. And not at all because I cry in it. Seriously, Kathy (Keri's Mom, person who introduced me to The Outsiders when I was 10) was shocked when she saw my mom's reaction. Kathy LOVED the Outsiders, whereas I'm the one who introduced it to my mom.