Did The Book Change You At All?

Discuss the book, the author, the writing style, character analizations, and anything else related to this literary classic here.

Did The Book Change You At All?

ponyboy is cute
Posts 0
ponyboy is cute

16 Aug 2005, 01:35 #1

i'm just interested to see how The Outsiders may have changed any of you. Did it give you a new perspective/point of view? inspire you to do something? etc.

the book, in a sense, actually did change my life! :) after finishing it, i was inspired to begin writing. reading The Outsiders showed me that it could be possible for me to write in a male POV, and it even helped to teach me how to develop plot! i'll never forget that this book was my inspiration those four or so years ago. :D

Steve'sgirl4ever
Posts 0
Steve'sgirl4ever

16 Aug 2005, 15:30 #2

actually, it did change my life... kind of in a strange way. i actually can relate to it. You see...i had a rough life so yea. ummm... it is hard to explain.

babygurl33
Posts 0
babygurl33

17 Aug 2005, 01:04 #3

it kinda did change me i guess..it made me more reckless..showed me that my life didnt suck as much as i thought it did..made me wanna have more fun cuz Johnny and Dally r only a few years older than me and basically it showed that one rong event can lead to something very bad.

CountryGal2221
Posts 0
CountryGal2221

19 Aug 2005, 17:13 #4

The book did change me it made me think of how good my life is and how good it is to know one of my good friends isn't about to die or hasn't. I feel like i can really relate to this book kind of like how people rank in society. also i feel like i can realate to boys more and like what was already said i can write from a boys point of view.

ponyboy&mecurtis
Posts 0
ponyboy&mecurtis

24 Aug 2005, 22:08 #5

somehow, it changed me a lot... it's this realy weird obsession, i cannot stop thinking about it. on the internet i always look for pics and i'malways on this website. i have the book and really want the dvd sooooooooo bad!!! i loved it sice the first time i've read it! my sisters think it's really annoying, but i cant stop because i love it soo much!

KrissyCurtis
Supreme Member
KrissyCurtis
Supreme Member

25 Aug 2005, 19:10 #6

I have to say that this book was the thing that changed my life! I was this soc, so concerned about what my friends thought of me, only talking to the "right" people, or going to the "right" places. I used to talk to like, the flakes or stoners and my friends were like "Oh my God, why are you mixing with scum?" or "you can't trust people like THAT!" My life was all about shopping and parties and I felt EXACTLY the same way Cherry Valance did. Until I read the book. I am such a happier person now, and the whole greaser-soc thing put things into perspective, and my life has definitely changed- FOR THE BETTER! (plus, I got a lotta my friends addicted to the book hehehehe!)
"Maybe I'm too young, to keep good love from going wrong, but tonight you're on my mind...so, you never know"- Jeff buckley

MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member
MegakaPonysgal
Supreme Member

25 Aug 2005, 20:20 #7

The main way it changed me was that it opened me up to different kind of books. I used to only read the good clean books(not that it's dirty, but different) and only ones about girls. Now I love a lot of other books that were written by the pov of a boy.
Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.-The Fray "All at Once"

rockerazz8
Posts 0
rockerazz8

20 Apr 2008, 21:10 #8

MegakaPonysgal @ Aug 25 2005, 02:20 PM wrote: The main way it changed me was that it opened me up to different kind of books. I used to only read the good clean books(not that it's dirty, but different) and only ones about girls. Now I love a lot of other books that were written by the pov of a boy.
I have to agree with you, even though I'm about 3 years late. *blush*
It opened me to a world of realistic situations and stories; I used to read only fantasy books before The Outsiders. (And annoyingly, they were prim and proper and loads of big vocabulary that I had no idea meant.) Now, I only read realistic fiction with that gritty sense that made me fall in love with S. E. Hinton's books in general.

Plus, I'm starting to appreciate the smaller things in life; sunsets, nature, and my innocence. I fall really close to Ponyboy's age and I want to "stay gold", not turn out bitter like everyone else in corporate America. *ANARCHY!!!*

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

22 Jul 2008, 18:35 #9

I have to say, it did alot and a little. It taught me things no one could and it gave me the courage to do things I never would. I really opened up to the book when Pony was in the hospital and Soda and Darry came and when Johnny died, but also quite a bit when Dally killed himself. I really liked it and let me tell you, reading it over and over really makes me feel good.

Message to everyone: Stay gold because nothing gold can stay
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

ponyboylover20
Advanced Member
ponyboylover20
Advanced Member

21 Nov 2008, 16:48 #10

Mhmm. It definitely changed my life. In many, many aspects. Changed how I see everyday, people getting stereotyped - I think it's so wrong. I thought The Outsiders taught me that.
It also changed the way I think, almost. It's really hard to explain. But it definitely changed huge aspects of my life. It made me pay attention to kids I never really noticed before, who kind of reminded me of the gang. How a lot of them maybe get looked down on, or frowned upon by society, maybe their school, peers, teachers, etc. It really showed me how reality can be sometimes. I know I was only 13 when I read it, but I felt like that was a turning point in my life. Two years later, I still feel that way. Susie Hinton did a miraculous job of incorporating teenagers lives and how they lived, survived, and overcame harsh obsticles under amazing circumstances. As I'm writing this - It makes me want to get out my book and start reading it again right now. I don't think The Outsiders will ever fade from my memory.
"I don't think it's too hot of an idea" - Ponyboy Curtis

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

15 Jul 2009, 21:27 #11

I just realized that it does, change my life I mean.
I'm a mother of four but there's still a lot of the child in me and I never really identified with my role as a mother, maybe because I never was close to my own mother. After reading the book I found myself identifying with Darry - much to my annoyance. I didn't want to be Darry, I wanted to be Ponyboy and HAVE somebody like Darry looking after me.
Also I know I yelled at my kids a lot, especially when they were younger and I used to think that made me the worst mother ever. After reading the book I realized that it was all helplessness and being overtaxed with responsibility AND love that made me react that way and I manage to be more gentle to myself on this point. I'm very thankful for that lesson.

mrs.sodapop

18 Jul 2009, 01:08 #12

This may sound really stupid, but...everytime I'm in a stupid little fight with someone or arguing with someone or pouting...I just think to myself "Wow, would Soda really approve of this?" I sound stupid. Oh well. Just cuz he was so happy-go-lucky.
1966/7 - Gold is invented.
1982/3 - Gold is made silver.
2004/5 - Gold is made pure silver.
2009- Stephalu becomes gold.

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

18 Jul 2009, 02:14 #13

I don't think it sounds stupid.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

dragonchild
Advanced Member
dragonchild
Advanced Member

18 Jul 2009, 08:26 #14

Neither do I. It sounds great - and dead useful ;-).

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

06 Jan 2010, 22:23 #15

It doesn't sound stupid! And I think of the book ALL THE TIME......I've never been obsessed with anything this much. I'm always on the internet too, typing up the book, lookin' and pics, and/or posting here. It changed my life in every single way imaginable. I've learned the true meaning of life from it, and how everyone has a rough life, even if it doesn't look like it. And now when I look at those criminals on tv or something, I think "Wow, they must've had a life like Dally's." It changed my view on my own life too. That my life really isn't that bad.
Heh I can't even stop daydreaming about the characters and the book and the movie.

And I can't help but feel depressed after I read the book. 'Cuz it's so sad, and so real. Writing actually seems interesting to me now, and I watch sunsets as much as I can. I will never forget this book for as long as I live.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:24 #16

thebiggestoutsidersfan @ Jan 6 2010, 04:23 PM wrote: It doesn't sound stupid! And I think of the book ALL THE TIME......I've never been obsessed with anything this much. I'm always on the internet too, typing up the book, lookin' and pics, and/or posting here. It changed my life in every single way imaginable. I've learned the true meaning of life from it, and how everyone has a rough life, even if it doesn't look like it. And now when I look at those criminals on tv or something, I think "Wow, they must've had a life like Dally's." It changed my view on my own life too. That my life really isn't that bad.
Heh I can't even stop daydreaming about the characters and the book and the movie.

And I can't help but feel depressed after I read the book. 'Cuz it's so sad, and so real. Writing actually seems interesting to me now, and I watch sunsets as much as I can. I will never forget this book for as long as I live.
No, it does NOT sound stupid. I do kind of the same thing too, except I ask myself if Johnnycake would approve. The book and movie has changed me quite a lot. *bawls like a baby* Aw shoot.... I'm gonna start cryin' now, cuz of how deep the book and movie was... I mean, really, watching sunsets-- there's a sense of peacefulness to it, and everytime I watch a sunset, it really does make me think about the world, all the joys and pains, all the happiness and roughness people have to go through in life... Wow.

thebiggestoutsidersfan--> I can't quit daydreamin' 'bout the characters, book, and movie either. Those boys... are really, really brothers. And I love that a lot. I agree, after watching and reading about all the crime and slime people do, I realize pretty harshly that my life is practically heaven. True, nothing and no one is perfect, but I realize the arguements I have with my parents (Mommy especially) only happens because they care about my life now and later, and my grades and how sucsessful I will be later on. They tell me I can be any thing and what ever I want to be. They bug me about small things everyday, but after reading about what Darry has to put up with, I understand finally what my parents are going through for me, more so now than I ever did. That's hy I'm trying to be on my best behaviour with them. <3

The book/movie/characters are so blasted real... It's different from other books I've read; this one really did touch my heart. I won't ever forget this particular story. Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm gonna go watch a sunset and think deep about life, then browse through the 300-some pictures of the greasers I've saved on my computer and iPhone. xD
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

13 Jan 2010, 23:47 #17

You know, I feel the same way, johnnyandsodalover4life. My parents won't quit buggin' me for every little thing i do, they are obsessed with me getting good grades and going into college, and my mom argues with me too sometimes. But I realized that they just want what's best for me.

I wanna cry too. It's all too real a story.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 04:14 #18

The "Stay gold" part and how Johnny describes that as "when your a kid your gold" really made me think. It's like saying 'don't grow up to fast'. Now I wanna be 15 forever!

My English class read the book and my friend and I were like the only ones who got obsessed with it. I think about The Outsiders all the time. Especially in school. I'll think of something funny from the book or movie and start laughing out of nowhere.

It changed me in other ways too but I don't know how to explain very well.

And also I like to look at sunsets now. :)
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 15:36 #19

thebiggestoutsidersfan and Sodapop127--> *HUGGLES!* You guys are AMAZIN'... I'm so glad I joined this site. SOrry if that seemed random. LOL xD

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:24 #20

johnnyandsodalover4life @ Jan 14 2010, 09:36 AM wrote:thebiggestoutsidersfan and&nbsp; Sodapop127--> *HUGGLES!* You guys are AMAZIN'... I'm so glad I joined this site. SOrry if that seemed random. LOL xD
Thanks, johnnyandsodalover4life :) It's good to be able to discuss The Outsiders with out feeling like an oddball.
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:27 #21

thebiggestoutsidersfan and&nbsp; Sodapop127--> *HUGGLES!* You guys are AMAZIN'... I'm so glad I joined this site. SOrry if that seemed random. LOL xD

Thanks, johnnyandsodalover4life :) It's good to be able to discuss The Outsiders with out feeling like an oddball
Same here! Thank you!!!!! I feel like I've met the nicest people in the world here.

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 23:34 #22

Sodapop127--> We're a family here; no one's an oddball. We Stick Togther like 'em greaser boys do. :)

thebiggestoutsidersfan--> Ditto on that!

Sodapop127
Advanced Member
Sodapop127
Advanced Member

16 Jan 2010, 21:44 #23

johnnyandsodalover4life @ Jan 14 2010, 05:34 PM wrote: Sodapop127--> We're a family here; no one's an oddball. We Stick Togther like 'em greaser boys do. :)
Aw thats good to know :)
&#9829;Stay Gold&#9829;