Best Accent?

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Best Accent?

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

10 Oct 2006, 06:24 #1

Which actor do you think best captured the Oklahoma accent in the movie? (Granted Matt Dillon was playing a character who'd spent time in New York and he was from New York and thus can't really be counted LOL...)

None of the actors grew up in Oklahoma (most are LA or New York based, aside from Tom Cruise who moved around all over the US and Canada, Rob Lowe who was born in Virginia and lived in Ohio and Patrick Swayze who grew up in Texas...and Glenn Withrow, Kentucky/Ohio border).

I think my pick would have to go to Ralph Macchio. I think his accent is so good and so different from how he really talks. My second pick...a toss up between Emilio Estevez and Tom Cruise, with me leaning towards Emilio.

_stella
Supreme Member
_stella
Supreme Member

10 Oct 2006, 06:45 #2

Glenn Withrow grew up in my in my neighborhood. haha /random.

I've never really thought too much about it, but the more I think of it, I think that Ralph Macchio does have the best. Especially hearing him talk in his "normal" accent, I think it's really good.

I think the next best would be probably Tom Cruise. I'll have to watch/listen to the movie to really get a really good opinion. That is an interesting question though =)
RIP Sgt Nick Carnes
All gave some, he gave all.
02/01/82 - 08/26/07

Rounding third and headed for Heaven

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

11 Oct 2006, 02:53 #3

Well.. um.. they all sounded pretty normal to me..
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

13 Oct 2006, 00:04 #4

Ces @ Oct 10 2006, 09:53 PM wrote: Well.. um.. they all sounded pretty normal to me..
Ditto.. but I'm Canadian, so I don't here American accents all that often.

I loved Johnny's though.. it just kinda drew you in! LOL
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

13 Oct 2006, 00:45 #5

I've got a pretty good ear for accents - the US has such a big variety.

This is a very cool website - http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa ... lahoma.htm

It allows you to listen to audio clips of people talking from different parts of the world. Listen to the Oklahoma stuff, then the Massachusetts and California or Kentucky or Alabama and you'll hear total differences.

I can hear differences from Torontonians vs Vancouverites=)

Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member
Jessica Dawn
Supreme Member

13 Oct 2006, 01:17 #6

marsonfire @ Oct 12 2006, 07:45 PM wrote: I can hear differences from Torontonians vs Vancouverites=)
LOL, are you serious? I really don't hear it! I guess that's what I get for living in the prairies...

Is it true that we say "aboot"?
They say one day your life will flash before your eyes.
Make it worth watching.

marsonfire
Supreme Member
marsonfire
Supreme Member

13 Oct 2006, 06:18 #7

Aboot is a total Newfie accent thing to me, I've never heard anyone here say it like that. (I think I more closely sound like I'm saying aboat than aboot LOL).

Ces
Supreme Member
Ces
Supreme Member

08 Nov 2006, 03:58 #8

Years ago one of my good friends told me I sounded like I was from Ohio (his home state) because I "didn't have an accent" buuut I think i've developed one from being around my husband's family :P
"It’s going to be a jungle of a day. If I start growling now, I’ll never last." - King Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Victoria_Curtis
Posts 0
Victoria_Curtis

14 Mar 2007, 02:21 #9

I loved Two-Bits accent Im not sure if that what their supposed to sound like from Tulse but I still love it :D

Keira
Posts 0
Keira

22 Mar 2007, 02:48 #10

I never paid much attention to the accents, seeing as Oklahomians (?) don't have very strong accents. At least not when you compare it to a New York or southern accent. Upon thinking about it, I think CT pulled off a good accent. They all did, but his was the most noticable since we see the most of him.

Ryker
Posts 0
Ryker

08 Apr 2007, 15:30 #11

No offence but they all sounded the same to me :P But then again, I'm from the Uk, and (some)Canadian and American accents sound exactly the same .. *dodges rotten fruit*

Keira
Posts 0
Keira

08 Apr 2007, 21:04 #12

Now that I have rewatched the movie twice in the last week, I was paying attention to their accents - and I don't know what I was thinking before. Their accents are pretty well there. LOL. It may be because Utahn's have a bit of an accent ourselves that I don't really pay much attention to that, but yeah. I think Emilio pulled off a good accent for sure.

I get what you're saying though, D. It wasn't until I visited the UK that I was able to differentiate (sp?) the different accents.

Skyline
Posts 0
Skyline

09 Apr 2007, 02:25 #13

I'm from New Zealand so they all just sound like Americans to me LOL. Canadians also sound the same to me, I made the mistake of saying to a couple of Canadian tourists that I met one night "Where in America are you from?". But us NZ'ers are always mistaken for Australians so I do know how they feel!

Keira
Posts 0
Keira

09 Apr 2007, 04:09 #14

I know a family from New Zealand, quite well actually, so I've always been able to tell the accents apart, but I can understand how all the different nationality/accents would sound the same. To an untrained ear it just sounds like an accent. I remember being in junior high and not being able to tell the difference between a British, South African, and Australian accent. It's a little bit easier now that I've heard them more, LOL.

Amy_the_coolest_of_cool
Posts 0
Amy_the_coolest_of_cool

09 Apr 2007, 13:38 #15

probably darry or pony. eh, they all sounded pretty decent.

xXMakesMeWonderXx
Posts 0
xXMakesMeWonderXx

05 Jul 2007, 22:06 #16

i think Patrick Swayze has the best accent cause he lived closest to Oklahoma.

but i'm not great with judging where people come from by their accents .

AJ6
AJ6

13 Mar 2008, 19:18 #17

i think Ralph had the best accent.

Alexa_A
Alexa_A

17 Jul 2008, 20:28 #18

I think they all pretty much had a good accent, but then again I've never thought about that much before.

It wasn't until a while ago where I was watching an interview (I don't remember which one) and I could tell that their voice was a little different.

Does anyone know if they sort of just caught on with the accent while living there for a certain amount of months, or they had to act it out? My question probably doesn't make a lot of sense :-P

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

18 Jul 2008, 05:26 #19

This is something that I mentioned to one of the moderators recently and thought that Two Bit had the accent down. I have lived here in Texas for awhile and traveled to Oklahoma often and yes Oklahoma people have southern accents. Steve Randall had a good accent too.

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

18 Jul 2008, 05:31 #20

Alexa_A @ Jul 17 2008, 02:28 PM wrote: I think they all pretty much had a good accent, but then again I've never thought about that much before.

It wasn't until a while ago where I was watching an interview (I don't remember which one) and I could tell that their voice was a little different.

Does anyone know if they sort of just caught on with the accent while living there for a certain amount of months, or they had to act it out? My question probably doesn't make a lot of sense :-P
I would say the guys tried to get the accent down for their roles. Often listing to the locals and having a dialect coach more than likely on the set. Remember too that Emilio was in Tulsa for two films and Im sure that helped while filming Tex in Bixby.

Ellenroth
Advanced Member
Ellenroth
Advanced Member

06 Aug 2008, 18:30 #21

Jessica Dawn @ Oct 12 2006, 06:04 PM wrote: Ditto.. but I'm Canadian, so I don't here American accents all that often.

I loved Johnny's though.. it just kinda drew you in! LOL
Same here
"Let's do it for Johnny!"
ellen_camp_roth@hotmail.com

Dramalover

22 Feb 2009, 15:51 #22

I think Ralph Macchio, CT, and Emilio Estevez did the best accents.
You're gold when you're a kid, like green.-Johnny Cade, The Outsiders

thebiggestoutsidersfan
Supreme Member

02 Jan 2010, 05:35 #23

Yea I have to say pretty much all of them did really good with accents. Emilio, Ralph, CT, and Patrick did great with it. I could especially notice Emilio's (Two-Bit's) best, though.
'A guy that'll really listen to you, listen and care about what you're saying, is something rare.' -The Outsiders

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 09:50 #24

Yep, they all did pretty darn good on the accents part. It musta been especially hard for Ralph, since he had to get a Tulsa accent, different from his Long Island one. xD I picked up a part when he completely lost his accent in the movie; it's when he's sayin, "....At least he know I'm there", after he says, "I think I like it better when the old man's hittin' me." Listen closely. Heh heh~
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

14 Jan 2010, 17:03 #25

Patrick already had a mid-western accent since he was from Texas. He didn't have to try very hard to have the Oklahoma accent.

Trust me, he sounded the same 25 years later.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........