Behind The Scenes Pics Found

New 2005 DVD discussions here!

Behind The Scenes Pics Found

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

18 Jan 2009, 23:02 #1

Tam, founder and moderator of the Yahoo 'Matt Dillon- A True Rebel' group sent me this link:

http://www.tmz.com/2009/01/18/inside-the-outsiders/

Great pics from behind the scenes! The ad placement sucks but the pics are worth it.

Enjoy!

Jenn

**These images are not the property of anyone affiliated with 'The Outsiders Official Website and / or this fan forum**
Jenn - Webmaster / Forum Admin.
The Outsiders Official Book and Movie website

Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member
Pitythebackseat
Supreme Member

19 Jan 2009, 18:59 #2

Oh I was just about to come here to post about them! I love them, they're great. The ad placement isn't too bad, only 3 ads in 19 pics.
~~Katie~~..."he glides when he walks"....

Katie's Rumble Fish site

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

19 Jan 2009, 20:42 #3

Incredible Pictures! I cant hold out any longer especially to the fans of this website. I have been working on a documentary since 2006 about the people and places from Tulsa who were involved in The filming of The Outsiders and I have discovered some incredible stories and LOTS and LOTS OF NEVER BEFORE SEEN PHOTOS taken during the filming of The Outsiders and from the various locations in Tulsa. It focuses on Tulsa and NOT the main cast and filmakers of the film. Most if not all of the pictures will appear in the documentary. They are just as incredible as the photos that appear on the TMZ website. I hope to premiere this documentary in Tulsa at the end of the year so NOW is the time to make your plans to be there in Tulsa. Tommy if you read this your invited! If all goes well I plan to make this a big event. JENN and KAREN YOU BETTER BE THERE! I can tell you that some of the photo sets are from the locations during the filming that include The Pines (opening fight scene), Crutchfiled Park(Dally gets shot-Bob gets stabbed-Pony gets drowned, pictures of the fountain and the making of it, segment on locally produced music for the film, segment on the Curtis house and the owner, more photos of the Curtis Parents, segment and tour of the neigborhood, photos from Sperry,Oklahoma, a segment on the DX Gas station,a segment on the Skiatook Church, The Lot (Rumble Scenes) The Alley behind the Curtis House (Pony gets jumped by soc's in corvair), pics from the Neighborhood Wrap Party Celebration at Crutchfield Park(including the huge Outsiders cake pics and Outsiders Ice sculpture) The Curtis Family Picnic, pics of Pony and Dally getting pulled over by the police, the actors in the make up trailors being made up. segment and picture of the Bowen Lounge(opening scene) as it was during the filming, Some of the interviews include people from the neigborhood who remember, pictures of the old cars at The Lowell School parking lot, Circle Theater, discovered memoribilia, stories of local teens (now in their 40's)that played greasers,Soc's and Extra's in the movie,Tulsa crew people and their experience,Interviews of the real teen greasers growing up in 1960's Tulsa and lots more.

Angle
Supreme Member
Angle
Supreme Member

19 Jan 2009, 21:49 #4

Cool Photos and James good luck with your documentary sounds intresting. I'll be looking out for the DVD. :D
Remeber that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes.
LOOK FOR MADDIE.

UP THE ROSSIES

Nittanylizard
Supreme Member
Nittanylizard
Supreme Member

19 Jan 2009, 23:10 #5

James, that sounds awesome. Will there be any way for those of us who are unable to travel to Tulsa to be able to see the documentary sometime?

And I agree, the pics are awesome, too :). I love seeing behind-the-scenes type stuff.
I swallowed a bug! - River, in Serenity

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

20 Jan 2009, 00:34 #6

Nittanylizard @ Jan 19 2009, 05:10 PM wrote:James, that sounds awesome.  Will there be any way for those of us who are unable to travel to Tulsa to be able to see the documentary sometime? 

And I agree, the pics are awesome, too :).  I love seeing behind-the-scenes type stuff.
PICTURES ID'D Update
Thanks you guys and to JENN for giving us a heads up on this! I have spent countless days, hours,MILES and MONEY traveling to Tulsa over the past 2 years doing this and its been so worth it because of what I have learned about Tulsa and the people involved and their stories. Tulsa is such a unique town with its history and old art deco buildings still around. I would like to make it available to all the fans at some point. I will do my best.

Picture 1 on the TMZ Website is an Outsiders Ice Sculpture made for the Neigborhood party celebration put on by the production company after the filming for their appreciation to the residents near Crutchfield Park for enduring the various all night shoots that took place. I know this because I have seen similar photos of the sculpture and a resident who described what happened during the celebration. It looks like the sculpture is melting and the cake is already eaten into.

Picture 2 is on the side of the Curtis House with Ralph Macchio playing on a ping pong ball table set up on Independence Street.

Picture 3 is Ralph Macchio who plays Johnny Cade,picture could be at the Curtis house, the Lot or Skiatook Church or.....

Picture 4 is Rob Lowe and unidentified women and toothless Tom Cruie, looks like it was taken after one of the rumble scenes,look at robs mouth and toms dirty clothes and a missing tooth,notice the top of the police car behind them.

picture 5 I was told it may have been one of the Soc house and a scene that may never have made it to the film looks like a period ambulance in front of the house. house is located at 1404 South Quaker. It is now Butler & Butler, Inc., an advertising agency.

Picture 6 is Darren Dalton who plays a Soc named Randy .

Picture 7 in the white T-Shirt is Francis Coppola's son Gian-Carlo Coppola playing ping pong with Ralph Machhio

Picture 8 is at the Git n Go convience store that may have been used for interiors filming of Dally(Matt Dillon) robbing the store clerk but it clearly shows in the film that they also used a UToteM that appears in pictures 16 and 19. It looks to me like greaser types and Matt Dillon hanging out in the parking lot. 2 people have verified that the possible location of the Get N Go was at 12th and Houston Street.I noticed the Rainbow Bread truck that parked out front and is talked about being at various locations in the film. You can see it in a scene in the film when two bit and pony are walking down the street on their way to the Tastee freez. the Rainbo Bread Truck was used in several scenes as noted in my previous message and was the Set Dressing Crew's work van which stored tools and equipment. I was also told that it was used to block out anything in the frame/shot at a location. Git 'n' Go existed in Missouri and Oklahoma. based in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Picture 9 is Rob Lowe playing ping pong,if you look to the background that is the entrance to the alley where Pony gets jumped by the soc's in the Corvair.

Picture 10 is Tommy Howell, Francis and crew in front of the seperate building just east of the Curtis House, almost adjoing to it. also Gian-Carlo Coppola in white T-shirt with his back turned and facing Francis I was told by a local neighbor at one time it use to be a family general store. It also has "Rainbow is good bread" on the screen door. lIf you fans remember its when Dally jumps the fence onto the porch while Pony is being jumped in the alley by the soc's in the Corvair car. The alley is to the side of that building

[/B]. Picture 11 [/B] is the film crew on the side of the Curtis House with what looks like Tom Cruise walking towards the house. it looks like they are blacking out a window with material to keep the outside light from coming in.When zooming in on the picture I can see Francis in the yard.

Picture 12 when I zoomed in looks like Francis, Susie Hinton and crew. It looks to be out of the Curtis neigborhood though. I will have to check on that one too.

Picture 13 is Tom Cruise playing ping pong on the side of the Curtis House.

Picture 14 is a very cool looking Matt Dillon smoking.

Picture 15 is at the Git n Go Convience store with actors William Smith (store clerk) and Matt Dillon (Dally).

Picture 16 is Francis with Producer Fred Roos in front of the UToteM Convience Store notice the Rainbo Bread Truck in the background.Looks like Fred could be carrying an Outsiders script.

Picture 17 Roman Coppola on the left, an unidentified girl and Matt Dillon

Picture 18 is Tommy, Rob and Francis outside the old family store on Independence Street next to The Curtis House, Gian-Carlo Coppola in White T-Shirt back turned in front of Francis

Picture 19 is Matt Dillon inside the UToteM Convience Store. I noticed on the UToteM front store window a S&H Green Stamp logo and a puppy to the far left of the picture is tied with a leash to the Newstand dispenser.

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/inside_the_outsiders

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 00:35 #7

James @ Jan 19 2009, 03:42 PM wrote: ...I hope to premiere this documentary in Tulsa at the end of the year so NOW is the time to make your plans to be there in Tulsa. Tommy if you read this your invited! If all goes well I plan to make this a big event. JENN and KAREN YOU BETTER BE THERE! ...
I can't wait to see your documentary...

However...what'ya want me to do...bring my 3 year old- oh gawd, that would be a DISASTER...

anyhoo...I cannot wait to see it - oh, I already said that. But really...you have done SOOO much work on this I pray all goes as planned.

Thanks for all the descriptive work on those photos! I wish I could put them on the site also, but w/o knowing who owns them- well, you know the ropes.

cya!

bovril
Supreme Member
bovril
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 12:41 #8

Oh my gosh your son is not 3 already?? o.O

Good luck James, that sounds rather intresting. I hope there's a way i can see it ^.^
Hunt the Hunter

Facebook =]

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 16:48 #9

I have seen The Complete Novel more times since 2005. Im telling you guys its been an awakening for me since I came to this site and met Jenn, Karen and the Tulsa people involved . Thats what inspired me to do this. When I stumbled upon the website I couldnt beleive the information that was available and Jenn and Karen had just gotten back from a The Tulsa Tour of film sites with Susie. It just proves that I am a true fan and have always been since the first movie came out 25 years ago. I can gurantee you if I had know about the filming in 1982 I would have driven or hitchiked from Dallas to Tulsa to be in the film in some way. GREASER. I was literally late in finding out by just months. I guess I will have to settle for being an extra in TWTTIN and having to drive the 2000 miles round trip in 1984.blah blah blah blah. I have made an inquiry into who owns the pictures on the TMZ site as I am most interested in the Get n Go store pictures which is renamed UToteM in the movie as I just noticed since I have no pictures from that location. Yes they do belong on this site no doubt. If I hear anything I will let you know Jenn and Karen. More pictures you ask with the fact that I have already seen at least 100 different behind the scenes photos from the filming OF The Outsiders, call it greed, OF COURSE any true fan could'nt get enough.
James

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

21 Jan 2009, 21:26 #10

Did they have S&H Stamps back in the 80's?

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

22 Jan 2009, 00:38 #11

Yes, Green Stamps were still being given in 1982. They were getting harder to find, but were still given out in some areas.

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

01 Mar 2009, 18:01 #12

I just wanted to give an update on the documentary. I spoke with Ed Jackson the police officer who pulls over Dally and Pony after the rumble. What a great guy and super nice with some great stories.Discovered some behind the scenes photos of him during the filming of that scene with Matt, Tommy and crew. Incredible photos.

James

badcat390
Advanced Member
badcat390
Advanced Member

02 Mar 2009, 03:59 #13

James.... WOW. I don't even know what to say! What a lot of work you have done. I hope to have a chance to see this wonderful documentary you have created. I was actually inspired to try something out tonight that I wasn't sure would work, but it did- I took a little "virtual walk" (courtesy of Google Maps) down Independence Street to see if I could find the Curtis house. At first I was finding a lot of stairs leading to empty lots and I wondered if it had been torn down. (What a sick feeling that was!!) I didn't know what the cross road was, so I just kept "walking". And eventually, I actually found it. If you have never tried this, it's a blast! Well, if you've actually BEEN there, probably not so much! So, anyhow, just wanted to say thanks- to you, Jenn and Karen and everybody on this site for sharing all these great pictures and stories.

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

02 Mar 2009, 22:55 #14

badcat390 @ Mar 1 2009, 09:59 PM wrote:James.... WOW. I don't even know what to say! What a lot of work you have done. I hope to have a chance to see this wonderful documentary you have created. I was actually inspired to try something out tonight that I wasn't sure would work, but it did- I took a little "virtual walk" (courtesy of Google Maps) down Independence  Street to see if I could find the Curtis house. At first I was finding a lot of stairs leading to empty lots and I wondered if it had been torn down. (What a sick feeling that was!!) I didn't know what the cross road was, so I just kept "walking". And eventually, I actually found it. If you have never tried this, it's a blast! Well, if you've actually BEEN there, probably not so much! So, anyhow, just wanted to say thanks- to you, Jenn and Karen and everybody on this site for sharing all these great pictures and stories.
Your welcome. Im glad you got to see the house. Its still standing for sure. All though some of us were begining to wonder about its fate. I have been there many times over the past couple of years. Not inside though. Its seen its better times for sure but the new owner is renovating it, Im not sure if thats good or bad. They said that they will try to keep it as original as possible but I do know that some changes have already been made. I spoke to another officer assigned to the movie and he worked the Crutchfield neighborhood during the filming and had some stories to tell. Said that when he patroled the area there were some real car thieves going around the neighborhood. I will bet it was some local greasers for sure. LOL

James

ponyboylover20
Advanced Member
ponyboylover20
Advanced Member

02 Mar 2009, 23:57 #15

Wow, James that's amazing! Sounds like you've put SO much work into it.
I can't wait to see it! :)
"I don't think it's too hot of an idea" - Ponyboy Curtis

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

03 Mar 2009, 02:13 #16

ponyboylover20 @ Mar 2 2009, 05:57 PM wrote: Wow, James that's amazing! Sounds like you've put SO much work into it.
I can't wait to see it! :)
Thanks for the support. Yes I have spent alot of time finding out this info and have amazed myself in how I have found some of these people. I will tell you Its been very hard.. Sometimes it has taken months. Two of my friends from Tulsa have been in the house. I was told that back in 2007 it was looking somewhat like it did in the movie. The house literally had nothing done to it since 1982. The house was falling apart. Im glad that new owners purchased it and are trying to save it. New owner had some of the walls torn down in the house and re-done. Same with the kitchen and fireplace. I do know the original stained glass window in 2008 in the bathroom was still there. If you remember from the Pony Shower Scene( deleted scenes ON THE NEW dvd) you can see it.

James

badcat390
Advanced Member
badcat390
Advanced Member

03 Mar 2009, 03:15 #17

Well, I think I'd rather see it changed and fixed up a bit than gone. I am still trying to shake that feeling from seeing the empty lots where houses once stood from my "tour" last night.

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

03 Mar 2009, 16:31 #18

badcat390 @ Mar 2 2009, 09:15 PM wrote: Well, I think I'd rather see it changed and fixed up a bit than gone. I am still trying to shake that feeling from seeing the empty lots where houses once stood from my "tour" last night.
Here is another interesting thing I was told was that Johnny Cades house was very close to The Lot (Rumble) and is no longer standing. I did a little bit of investigating and it appears that it was in fact where it was. I was shocked when my friend who I met thru all of this say's "oh by the way Johnny's house use to stand over there." I was like no its over on the other street and I thought I better not doubt someone who lived in this neigborhood,went to school all 9 years at The Lowell School (Outsiders production offices) and was on the set often taking pictures. :0)

James

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

22 Mar 2009, 11:39 #19

I spoke to Tommy's(Pony Boys) Stand In for over 2 hours from LA. At the time of filming he lived in Tulsa and went to Memorial High School. A film stand in is someone who stands in front of the camera crew or for the lighting crew to set up a shot so that the main actor does not have to do it. They usually try to get someone similar in height and with features to the real actor. Aaron looked alot like Pony Boy. This is their job thru the duration of filming and usually work the days when the main actor works.
Anyway he had some great stories and will be flying to Tulsa in Mid May to give us a tour of locations and reminisce about the 6-8 weeks of filming and hanging out with the actors and crew.

James

JEFFd
Advanced Member
JEFFd
Advanced Member

22 Mar 2009, 16:51 #20

Very neat, James! Hey do you have a photo of Aaron? That would be neat to see!
"There's still lots of good in the world-Stay Gold"

James
Supreme Member
James
Supreme Member

22 Mar 2009, 17:25 #21

I will see what I can do about getting a pic of Aaron. He is now 45 like some of us. I have a new S.E.Hinton NY Times article on my Outsiders picture site from March 1983 right before The Outsiders opend. Here is the link.

http://theoutsidersfan.bravehost.com/index.html

Karen
Supreme Member
Karen
Supreme Member

23 Mar 2009, 15:13 #22

COOL!

Stay Gold, Karen
Karen ~ Moderator ~ the Outsiders Book & Movie Offical Website
Stay Gold Ponyboy, Stay Gold.........

Jenn_K
Supreme Member
Jenn_K
Supreme Member

24 Mar 2009, 04:01 #23

James @ Mar 3 2009, 11:31 AM wrote: Here is another interesting thing I was told was that Johnny Cades house was very close to The Lot (Rumble) and is no longer standing....
wow, they tore it down huh...glad Karen and I got pics of it when we did!!

Thanks again from me for all your hard work on this project...kudo's to you my friend!

Jenn

johnnyandsodalover4life
Supreme Member

03 Jan 2010, 05:39 #24

Jenn_K @ Jan 18 2009, 05:02 PM wrote: Tam, founder and moderator of the Yahoo 'Matt Dillon- A True Rebel' group sent me this link:

http://www.tmz.com/2009/01/18/inside-the-outsiders/

Great pics from behind the scenes! The ad placement sucks but the pics are worth it.

Enjoy!

Jenn

**These images are not the property of anyone affiliated with 'The Outsiders Official Website and / or this fan forum**
lol I've probably seen every Outsiders picture websites (not literally, but I browse throught sites for hours on end)....I saw TMZ's like a month and a half ago, but it's nice to see it again.
Johnny Cade-- My Guardian Angel